Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge 2014

GaryvdM

Results are on the racetec website

If you can't find yours then query it with racetec, there is a link on the website

Thanks Shaper, I found my results.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a heavier rider, the Argus is an easier / more enjoyable race - the uphills are generally long and you get good value on the downhills. The wind is not such a big factor as we're more stable and the bunches stick together all the way round to Misty Cliffs and beyond.  94.7 is continuous nagging mid-size hills that depress the crap out of me.

As a heavier rider who has done the 94.7 twice, I find the 94.7 much harder than a windy Argus. I also have an extra burden of coming up from the coast.

Thanks to all, I have suffered but enjoyed the race both times.

What's your mate's name? How'd it go on the SS and which gear ratio did he use? I also rode SS. Great fun.

It's really cool to see this from you main manne up front

That is my one gripe- apart from the traffic chaos...

Was my 2nd one this year on my mtb, did 4:39- but rode with (and waited for) my bil who did it on his SS. We were supposed to start 09:20 in LL, but were still stuck on N14 at 09:00, so parked on the highway and cycled to start... started in NN.

Very nice ride, except for those punks on roadbikes coming whizzing past us... every few km's there were blokes from later startgroups catching us. If you want to chase a number, then don't get into a gate with us okes at the back...please

I see only 21614 entrants finished the race, which is a very high rate of attrition if 33000 people entered. Wonder how many were DNF's and how many were DNS's. The sweep vehicles must have been full!

Don't forget that didn't ride with chips and the disqualifieds also contribute to the difference in those two numbers.

What kind of Beta do you think this race will get?

Whatever the random number generator feels like spitting out....

How to i find someones race number ?

I also had this problem that I couldn't remember my own number from Sunday :eek:

When you look at the results on RaceTec's site, you will notice a link on the right of the person's result - "View Photo(s)", when you click on it it will open www.jetlineactionphoto.com and show you your race number at the top... will help to find you photos as well once they are up :thumbup:

I see only 21614 entrants finished the race, which is a very high rate of attrition if 33000 people entered. Wonder how many were DNF's and how many were DNS's. The sweep vehicles must have been full!

not everyone necessarily had a racetec chip so impossible to say what the ratio of DNF/DNS is

Not sure where you get your winning times for the Argus? Last 2 years it was close to 2h40 in relatively good conditions so the average speed is roughly the same for both races

aaaah, relatively good conditions this year, not my recollection. Not the worst conditions  (as i understand), but the wind was a little on the blustery side this year compared to last years which i rode as well.

Rest of comments i tend to agree with you.

My current opinion, cycle challenge is harder but shorter,and Argus is longer and therefore harder. They both harder than each other.

What's your mate's name? How'd it go on the SS and which gear ratio did he use? I also rode SS. Great fun.

Me too, what ratio did you use?

I believe you're the guy with the Green/Silver "Always in the right gear" bike? We rode together for a bit. Think we both had 42T-17T (Ratio 2.47)

Me too, what ratio did you use?

I believe you're the guy with the Green/Silver "Always in the right gear" bike? We rode together for a bit. Think we both had 42T-17T (Ratio 2.47)

No - I was riding a 1956 Claud Butler track bike 52-20T (Ratio 2.6) my freewheel locked up and had to ride fixed down many of the hills...

Overall a good route, 2 gripes from my side... 1. The quality of the road surfaces, especially on the downhill sections (around the 55,60km mark), i smacked a pothole hard, they could have filled the holes with sand as well as spray painting them. 2. The speed bump going down into steyn, i could just see that causing a lot of accidents. Other than that i ended up doing a 2:53 so cant complain to much. 

One more thing to add to this race

I think its finally deserves it description, well at least for the open riders

Before I thought D2D and Berge & Dale might be tougher than this, but now this is really good contender for JHB toughest race, for the elites however I still think R4V tops it

One more thing to add to this race

I think its finally deserves it description, well at least for the open riders

Before I thought D2D and Berge & Dale might be tougher than this, but now this is really good contender for JHB toughest race, for the elites however I still think R4V tops it

Yip, if you want tough, you need a lap or 2 of SBR!

Archived