Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge 2014

GaryvdM

Well I had a very tough day on the bike. I guess it is what happens when you went in a race undertrained and over weight. I made a promise to myself that I will never be in this condition again. Dis sommer *** die.

preparation for the Argus started yesterday in terms of the weight and today with training. I will take my revenge next year on the new route.

I lost 10 minutes due to my chain that dropped and got stuck between the frame and chain ring (first that this happened to me) and finished in 3h29. My worst ever ride.

Traffic, parking and venue was a pleasure. I prefer this venue to the old one. I arrived at 4h20 and left at about 14h00. When I left (from silver parking) I noticed that the R511 is standing still towards the N14 and turned left up Mnandi and right at Summit all the way to the N1 towards PTA. Traveltime was about 20 minutes both ways.

Was it just me or was there less people at the beer tents afterwards. I never had to wait in a queue once. What a pleasure.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

52-20T! Sho! How did you fare on the hills? I guess it saved you on the downhills once you had to go fixie though. A blessing and a curse :D What time did you make?

No - I was riding a 1956 Claud Butler track bike 52-20T (Ratio 2.6) my freewheel locked up and had to ride fixed down many of the hills...

Here is something I have never seen before nor knew happened. A mate of mine who did the whole start shot this.

I want to be the last cyclist home if that's what is behind me up the last hill. You couldn't get off and push at that stage. AMazed he didnt sprint.

WOW!!!!   Awesome

Big :thumbup:  to everyone involved- organisers, metro, marshalls, cleaners, crowds etc, etc,

WOW!!!!   Awesome

Big :thumbup:  to everyone involved- organisers, metro, marshalls, cleaners, crowds etc, etc,

I agree... Massive thanks to everybody who helped make this an awesome event :clap:

Here is something I have never seen before nor knew happened. A mate of mine who did the whole start shot this.

I want to be the last cyclist home if that's what is behind me up the last hill. You couldn't get off and push at that stage. AMazed he didnt sprint.

Lets do 3 laps next year and come home last .

Friend of mine came in 2nd or 3rd from last a couple of years back, His daughter burst out in tears when she saw him. She was convinced that he probably died along the route as he took so long to finish. :D  

52-20T! Sho! How did you fare on the hills? I guess it saved you on the downhills once you had to go fixie though. A blessing and a curse :D What time did you make?

I did it in 4.29...was tough downhills on the brakes!

Something to highlight that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere and was very evident as a first timer,  is the carnival atmosphere along the route , the smell of boerie rolls , the Free Tequila and the hose me downs 

Quite a Jol and an inspiration that dried up going into Pain City !

Lets do 3 laps next year and come home last .

Agteros did something similar last year. Started in group C and rode very very slowly, with lots of stop along the way and finished in 10:12. I'm not 100% but I think he finished just ahead of the sweeper vehicles. 

http://www.strava.com/activities/95656976

http://results.racetec.co.za/results_by_event.aspx?RID=4838&EN=Sun%2017%2F11%2F2013%20Momentum%2094.7%20Cycle%20Challenge%20%2894.7km%29&SN=Engelbrecht&FN=Hardus

Now that is dedication to making sure your name shows up last on the list by a good amount of time. The poor okes in XX never had a chance.

Lots of funnies and cool sightings while taking it easy. Few that stood out.

Funny: Guy chasing past on a down hill in his RED SPEEDO, had me in stitches. 

Cool: Guy riding on a double decker bicycle. Must be pretty scary riding past people and looking down at them.

Cool: Uni cycles - i think its super cool.

Well done. That's a great time for your ratio and for having to switch to fixie! Respect.

I did it in 4.29...was tough downhills on the brakes!

Archived