Continental X-King Protection made in India??

Stain

Will appreciate it if someone can shed some light on the following.

After researching quite a bit on tyre choices and based on past experience with Conti I decided to fit a new Continental X-King (29er) on my rear wheel. I'm running tubeless so opted for the Protection version which I believe is very well suited for this (especially on the ZTR Crest rims I have).

My understanding was that the Protection version is only made in Germany? Also that the made in Germany versions are the only ones to actually have the Black Chilli compound.

I specifically asked my LBS to install the X-King PROTECTION. However it now seems the tyre battles to hold air which made me wonder if it really is a Protection version? On closer inspection of the tyre it says "Made in India" on the sidewall. Is this a give-away that they are not Protection or is there a Protection version that is made in India? It also doesn't say Protection anywhere on the tyre.

As an interesting side note - I fitted a Conti Mountain King Protection to my front tyre not too long ago. It clearly says Made in Germany on that tyre. The sidewall also looks slightly different to that of the X-King. It holds air like a dream.

Was I taken for a ride by my LBS? I paid for an X-King Protection tyre.

I also use the X-King Protection and it very clearly says protection on the one side of the tyre... I know its a race king in the picture but my X-Kings have the same "Protection" stamp as in this picture

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/continental-race-king-mountain-bike-tire02.jpg

Edited by lapa

My 'educated' guess would be if it doesn't say PROTECTION then it isn't PROTECTION .....

With Bennie on this one.

Confront your LBS

My wife's got the Race Kings and I've got Mountain Kings and X Kings. All of them says Protection on the side as per Lapa's post.

NotSoBigBen - one doesn't really need much of an education to make that assumption. So I also assumed as much. Which was why when I went to pick up my bike and saw nothing on the sidewall I asked the mechanic if he fitted the P-R-O-T-E-C-T-I-O-N X-King and he assured me he did. I asked for the box as I wanted to "store my old tyre in it" (really wanted to make sure as I knew that on my mountain king's box it clearly said "protection" and "black chilli"). He very conveniently already had it thrown away...

I'm getting more upset by the minute.

It should say PROTECTION and it will also have these checkered sidewalls

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2012/04/NIK8559-661x440.jpg

NotSoBigBen - one doesn't really need much of an education to make that assumption. So I also assumed as much. Which was why when I went to pick up my bike and saw nothing on the sidewall I asked the mechanic if he fitted the P-R-O-T-E-C-T-I-O-N X-King and he assured me he did. I asked for the box as I wanted to "store my old tyre in it" (really wanted to make sure as I knew that on my mountain king's box it clearly said "protection" and "black chilli"). He very conveniently already had it thrown away...

Your gut feel was right and I don't blame you!

Will appreciate it if someone can shed some light on the following.

After researching quite a bit on tyre choices and based on past experience with Conti I decided to fit a new Continental X-King (29er) on my rear wheel. I'm running tubeless so opted for the Protection version which I believe is very well suited for this (especially on the ZTR Crest rims I have).

My understanding was that the Protection version is only made in Germany? Also that the made in Germany versions are the only ones to actually have the Black Chilli compound.

I specifically asked my LBS to install the X-King PROTECTION. However it now seems the tyre battles to hold air which made me wonder if it really is a Protection version? On closer inspection of the tyre it says "Made in India" on the sidewall. Is this a give-away that they are not Protection or is there a Protection version that is made in India? It also doesn't say Protection anywhere on the tyre.

As an interesting side note - I fitted a Conti Mountain King Protection to my front tyre not too long ago. It clearly says Made in Germany on that tyre. The sidewall also looks slightly different to that of the X-King. It holds air like a dream.

Was I taken for a ride by my LBS? I paid for an X-King Protection tyre.

If it doesnt have protection anywhere on the tyre, it isnt a protection tyre...

Like the guys above say.

You got shafted

If I were you i'd go back and inform said mechanic that he is speaking from his poop chute and needs to have his school fees returned

Paid R590 odd. So there was no reason for me to believe from the price that I was not getting the Protection version.

You definitely got shafted, go back and argue

what did you pay? non protection versions are about 350 online whereas protection are 550 (cheapest I've found online,6-700 in shops)

Thanks for your replies. Off to the store to get this rectified. I can't even hope that it was an honest mistake as the mechanic told me to my face more than once that it is the Protection version. I just assumed he knew more about the tyres he stocks than I do. You know what they say about assume...

Also my understanding that the Protection version is made in Germany and are the ones that have the Black Chilli compound, thats also why they are damn expensive!!

Will say Protection on the side wall, how much did the LBS charge you for the tyre excl labour?

They are normally around R650?