Buying My first MTB

Hi

I'm looking to buy myself a mountain bike. A used one that is in a good condition. I have R 2000 - R 3000 to spend and would like to know what should I be looking at.

Specs please.

Regards

Francois

Guest Travis.

I suggest starting in the Classifieds section and doing a filtered search.

spending that amount now will force you to spend more than double not long after when you realise you need something better, and the bug bites.

Second hand bikes at that price probably need quite a bit of work.

spending that amount now will force you to spend more than double not long after when you realise you need something better, and the bug bites.

Yep, but if it doesn't bite, you won't have spent double the amount unnecessarily.

Yep, but if it doesn't bite, you won't have spent double the amount unnecessarily.

But it will

Francois,a word of advice, for 2 to 3k you are going to get a piece of scrap and it is going to make your riding experience a forgettable one! I say minimum you need to spend between 6 and 7k then you have something that you can ride which will not fall apart! It is like saying I've got 10k to buy a car,you might get a fourth hand Tata with no wheels for that price......

Spend as much as you can, however be aware that cycling isnt for everyone, so spend wisely!

I have a few mates that made expensive purchases but didnt get into cycling for whatever reason.

Shop around, there are bargains. I got a friend a 26" DS with SRAM9/7, Rockshock fork and rear suspension for R3000. Of course it helped that the person selling wanted to get a 29"er so was willing to let it go.

Francois,a word of advice, for 2 to 3k you are going to get a piece of scrap and it is going to make your riding experience a forgettable one! I say minimum you need to spend between 6 and 7k then you have something that you can ride which will not fall apart! It is like saying I've got 10k to buy a car,you might get a fourth hand Tata with no wheels for that price......

But if he doesn't have 6 to 7 k he has to work with the budget he has.

If he starts with the R 3,000 bike and enjoys it at least he has something to ride while he starts saving for the upgrade and in the meantime he will gather some experience towards knowing what to look for when the upgrade happens.

There are plenty of okay bikes out there that don't cost an arm or a leg.

This one is fine to start -

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/76576-giant-revel-4/

But if he doesn't have 6 to 7 k he has to work with the budget he has.

If he starts with the R 3,000 bike and enjoys it at least he has something to ride while he starts saving for the upgrade and in the meantime he will gather some experience towards knowing what to look for when the upgrade happens.

There are plenty of okay bikes out there that don't cost an arm or a leg.

This one is fine to start -

http://www.thehubsa....-giant-revel-4/

Is this his budget or is he ignorant to what bikes cost ,this is the question? I know when I first started i though 5k was hellish expensive for a bike. Now 5k for a set of wheels or brakes is acceptable to me. All I am saying is IF he can afford it get a bike with decent components and in decent condition.6 to 7k will get you that.

Is this his budget or is he ignorant to what bikes cost ,this is the question? I know when I first started i though 5k was hellish expensive for a bike. Now 5k for a set of wheels or brakes is acceptable to me. All I am saying is IF he can afford it get a bike with decent components and in decent condition.6 to 7k will get you that.

I understand your point but I think we quite often unintentionally throw up barriers to entry when we start talking about the cost of MTB.

I understand your point but I think we quite often unintentionally throw up barriers to entry when we start talking about the cost of MTB.

Exactly.

In the last 10 years, I've seen an noticeable increase in the number of lesser-skilled weekend warriors spending increasingly more on bikes. This is of course why Cyclelab was recently purchased... It's good business. Is it sensible or necessary? No. It's very possible to enjoy yourself without spending tens of thousands on a bike. I have a friend I ride with occasionally who could easily afford a R100k bike but rides a R4k one. Why? Because he only rides around 10 times a year, even though he thoroughly enjoys himself on each of those occasions.

Edited by MH for short