Passed by a school kid on a BMX ...

JohnnyReggae

Dont know if you Hub guys heard of the term "FITNESS" before, I had it in High school, when I used to pedal 15KM+ on a BMX, like it was pedaling out of the garage:

In High School:

Delivered newspapers: 4KM mountainous route

Rode to school: 8KM

10KM sessioning and builing jumps after schools

5days a week. not to mention Saturday and Sunday,

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont know if you Hub guys heard of the term "FITNESS" before, I had it in High school, when I used to pedal 15KM+ on a BMX, like it was pedaling out of the garage:

In High School:

Delivered newspapers: 4KM mountainous route

Rode to school: 8KM

10KM sessioning and builing jumps after schools

5days a week. not to mention Saturday and Sunday,

What was had in youth, is long gone now...

Can remember getting my BMX on Sat morning, riding it flat out for 2 full days and never getting tired.

Ohhhh, I feel old.

This morning on my commute to work, riding at a good pace for me. Stop at a traffic light and a school kid on his BMX stops next to me. On green I set off up the small hill left to climb, get over the hump and start heading down .... the kid on his BMX comes pedalling past me :eek:

The rest of the way down through Kennilworth into Claremont this dude is pedalling hectically but still easily staying in front of me, and I wasn't pedalling to slowly myself. I'm on a 29'er MTB with 27 gears.

When the road was clear going into Claremont I had to pull up next to the guy and give him some props. He certainly made me smile, made my whole ride in this morning. I could see he looked kinda chuffed with himself, so good on him :thumbup:

Don't feel bad - I was overtaken once by a lad of about 14 wearing Crocs! And he smiled at me as he went past. Man, that is crushing..

Don't feel bad - I was overtaken once by a lad of about 14 wearing Crocs! And he smiled at me as he went past. Man, that is crushing..

Beer all over my phone... Thanks.

Have to take my hat (helmet?) off to a middle aged looking Rasta I saw a couple of weeks back riding a bmx that was clearly designed for a kid aged eight or so and appeared to comprise mostly of rust.

I was heading for a gap in the small fence in front of me when I noticed him motoring across the road heading directly for me. One small change of direction later and he had hopped onto the pavement and as soon as he landed he immediately hopped again and cleared the fence.

I sat there on my bike feeling wholly inadequate.

hmmm i'm sure he was flying high :whistling:

I had some very young lady ride up and down that hill at tokai no less than 4 times while I was till going up .... I had to keep telling myself .."well she only wieghs like 35kgs and her bike probably weighs 10kgs and I'm 76kgs and and......she must ride alllllll the time and she hasn't spent 20 odd years trying to drink and smoke herself to death and well hey I'm not doing to badly" ...lmfao no actually its when the monday morning milfs and gilfs come past me on that hill that I want to throw my bike off the mountain go home and start smoking again...ha ha ha

When I trained for the Argus in 2009 I went up Groot Brak Hoogte on the R102, when I all of a sudden heard these creaking noises and 2 workers came past me on Bmx bikes dressed in full overhauls and gumboots. I turned around and went home. ^_^:blink:

it doesn't actually matter as long as you enjoy the ride ..right...???????

Nah! IT MATTERS!

Enjoyment is secondary.

When I trained for the Argus in 2009 I went up Groot Brak Hoogte on the R102, when I all of a sudden heard these creaking noises and 2 workers came past me on Bmx bikes dressed in full overhauls and gumboots. I turned around and went home. ^_^ :blink:

Yeah...I know the feeling...I was once cruising on a slight uphill, with some good pace, and giving it horns. My good vibes were cut short when an ice-cream seller (plus bike with bells and ice-cream) sailed past me. Feels bad man :huh:

I remember a Hubber being overtaken on Butchers Hill in Joburg by a jogger!!! :whistling:

It was such a great post because he volunteered the story and was genuinely bewildered about whether cycling was for him or not as a result of this encounter.

Of course he conquered his doubts and went on to win many of the classics, before branching into tri events and astronomy.