Stumpjumper FSR vs PYGA oneten

Dawels

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Camber has the same travel as a Pyga 110mm their is an evo version that runs 120mm.

What can it run up front?

My last bike was a Camber Pro. The Pyga makes it look pedestrian. Don't be fooledby the travel on the Pyga - it is more than ample, especially if you have the 140 upfront.

Tom

Not fair to compare a 26er to a 29er :ph34r:

Camber has the same travel as a Pyga 110mm their is an evo version that runs 120mm.

Be interesting to see the geo comparisions

What can it run up front?

Would be interesting to hear the "official" max fork the spesh boys will allow on the frame

Not fair to compare a 26er to a 29er :ph34r:

hmmmm the newer Cambers are 29'ers ..........

Be interesting to see the geo comparisions

Would be interesting to hear the "official" max fork the spesh boys will allow on the frame

hmmmm the newer Cambers are 29'ers ..........

True, but he (Tatt) had a 26er camber before upgrading to 29er Pyga...

If I had to chose a Specialized trail/enduro bike for here in SA I would special order the EVO. Slackish head angle and a monster of a fork for a 120mm travel 29r, RS Pike. No wobbly 32mm Fox pool noodle on there.

Unfortunately the EVO will be way too expensive! My bugjet is 35k remember!

Another topic worth getting advice on is servicing costs?

I'm leaning the way of the stumpy due to the fact that PYGA's frame is now 20k...this will have to wait until I'm a qualified engineer.

The spez will be more expensive to service right? Or will it be an investment to buy the tools to service by myself?

The carbon stumpy is 40k which is also too expensive, so what I'm hoping for is to get the best spec'd alu stumpy frame for 35k. What should this get me?

Dawels

The spez will be more expensive to service right? Or will it be an investment to buy the tools to service by myself?

The only "servicing" your bike will likely need is fork and rear shock at 50 hours (approx). And that would be the same for any bike. Everything else is basic maintenance or replacement due to damage. If you buy the aluminium comp version, get them to throw in a dropper post and a tubeless conversion as part of the deal. Phone around the various Specialized dealers, some of them are hungrier for business than others.

Buy yourself your next chain and cassette on the internet, as well as some spare brake pads. The only tools you'll need are a cassette lockring remover and a chainwhip. Also get a spoke key if you want to save yourself a trip to the shop every time a wheel goes out of true. An allen key set and a couple of Torx keys and you're all set for a year of riding.

Unfortunately the EVO will be way too expensive! My bugjet is 35k remember!

Another topic worth getting advice on is servicing costs?

I'm leaning the way of the stumpy due to the fact that PYGA's frame is now 20k...this will have to wait until I'm a qualified engineer.

The carbon stumpy is 40k which is also too expensive, so what I'm hoping for is to get the best spec'd alu stumpy frame for 35k. What should this get me?

Dawels

You are in Stellies .... pop in at the Spesh Concept store and BMT cycles and see what they can offer you. Talk to the chaps, ask specific questions and see what happens.

While you are at it, give William Keith a call in Somerset West and see what he can do RE a PYGA deal for you too .... he has a habit of pulling cuddly bunny rabbits out of top hats.

I own 3 Specialized bikes, if you shop around you can get them much much cheaper. I am sorry, but as great as the concept store is, their prices are not. You will be able to get into a Carbon Stumpy for R40k. I am not going to promote any stores here, but do yourself a favour, go on the Spez website, click on dealers, print the list out and phone all of them. Southern suburbs dealers are always keen to do a good deal. My camber I got 10 percent discount on, and my Stumpjumper hardtail I scored 20 percent discount. Shop around, you will be amazed what deals you can get. Always ask if they maybe have a 2013 model lying around somewhere. You wont have the brain suspension so servicing will be no more expensive than any normal dual suspension bike.I pay R300 per service at my local Spez dealer, roadbike, hardtail and my dual susp, one price.

Edited by Johny Bravo

Dawels

Just avoid the Brain. It's expensive to service, can only be done by Spez and it's a terrible system for a trail oriented bike anyway.

As far as pivot bearings and hardware go - Enduro make all the bearing sizes you'll need, so the only issue you'll have is if you break or damage bolts, which is an issue you'll have on any bike - they're all proprietary. And it's rare that you'll damage a pivot bolt anyway.

That said, I'd still rather go with the Pyga Pascoe. But I'm biased cos I've been riding a Morewood for the past 5 years.

Just avoid the Brain. It's expensive to service, can only be done by Spez and it's a terrible system for a trail oriented bike anyway.

As far as pivot bearings and hardware go - Enduro make all the bearing sizes you'll need, so the only issue you'll have is if you break or damage bolts, which is an issue you'll have on any bike - they're all proprietary. And it's rare that you'll damage a pivot bolt anyway.

That said, I'd still rather go with the Pyga Pascoe. But I'm biased cos I've been riding a Morewood for the past 5 years.

I cant remember when last I agreed more with someone. :thumbup: