All hubbers, thank you for helping me help an amazing little man!!!

Rich Stan

Hi guys,

I have always thought of Ironman as a very personal thing. Everyone races it for their own reasons and just arriving at the start line is an achievement in itself.

Getting to the start of an Ironman takes some sacrifices, the many hours out training at the expense of time with family and friends. The thousands of rands spent on race entries, equipment, nutrition etc.

I raced Ironman South Africa last year for the first time and I did it all for me. One thing which stuck with me from that day was the sense of togetherness and support that the Ironman community embraces.

This year I have decided to race for something bigger than myself. A good friend has a very special little man. His name is Riley, and he was born with a rare genetic disorder that has left him with inability to use his muscles. His disorder is call Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), and he has type one which is the most severe. SMA is the number one genetic killer of children under the age of 2.

His disorder has obviously had a large impact on his family's finances. He has large medical expenses and needs around the clock care.

I will be racing Ironman South Africa this year to try and raise some much needed funds to help out his family.

If anyone out in Hub land can help me support this initiative it will be massively appreciated!

post-36245-0-68689000-1394983035_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rich Stan

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi DaveM

Thank you so much!!

I am planing to have Racing for Riley printed onto my shirt so you should be able to spot me.

I'm not too sure how fast Garflied is, but will definitely leave nothing out on the course if beating him will mean some additional funds for Riley.

Cheers

Are you even faster now than at Midmar?

Maybe :ph34r: we will see on the race course

#playscardsclosetochest

Edited by davem

Hey Rich

this will be my third IM, so I've put in R226 for each of the others I've completed + this one (fingers crossed :thumbup: )

See you in PE !

Cheers

By the way Metzet how fast do you bike? :ph34r:

Thanks you so much to everyone who has supported this!

Riley's parents are blown away by the generosity of the good people on The Hub

The general person have no idea what these people have to face every single day of their lives. Go read again what the message says and then go google this illness. We should bump up this thread to get at least 100 hubbers to donate.

How lucky we are to ride our bikes and live a healthy lifestyle every day when this boy doesn't even have a wheelchair nor will he ever know what it feels like to cycle.

Maybe change the heading "All hubbers please help" or something that will make the MTB'ers and Roadies to actually open and read this thread.

Edited by Garfield2010