Bike wash

Active Monkey

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Motorex grease and lube.... but there are cheaper good products

I put grease on everything that's got thead and wheel shafts and freewheel hub. Wet or Dry lube chain and semi bath on shock and fork.

I also put grease on bearings but they are sealed but I think it still stops dust entering don't think is helps the rolling part of the bearing

Lube on the chain, couple of drops FD & RD derailer (I also take a ear bud, dip it in oil and use it in the heads and exposed threads of any bolts so there is no rust or anything). Little bit of oil on my M520 pedals.. Also a bit on the moving points of the quick releases as well as moving sections of brake and gear levers (where logical and not likey to create a grinding paste). All excess is then wiped off.

Grease on the seatpost, little bit on the stem and clamping area for the handlebars. Bit on the quick release axles. Grease on bearings, including jockey wheels. Smidgen on the seat rails and clamp.

Edited by Mojoman

I've found that Chemco paste works brilliantly to clean my chain and cluster. Its in a pink tub usually with all the other cleaning products at Pick and Pay, Checkers etc. Apply with a brush when you start to wash your bike. Then leave on while you wash the rest of the bike and rinse off with everything else when done. Not only degreases but also brings back the shine! Being a paste it also doesn't run off into areas that shouldn't be degreased.

If I remember its around R35 for a tub and will last you a VERY long time as you only use a little bit of paste at a time.

Cellar, think you missed a key ingredient - Diesel spray on all moving parts(especially on the disc rotors). Just for a good lube.

I used to do that when I still had an mtb. FYI, that diesel is an even better weed killer than petrol.

Look no further NAM http://namgear.co.za/

In Cape Town Revolution cycles stock it and clean all their serviced bikes with it.

follow instructions and be amazed. thank, please revert when you do. Im sure you will be thanking me.

3 mins to clean a filthy bike 2 mins to clean chain.

local too win win

How much is it a liter?

Leka having nice cleaning products but when they charge mega bucks per liter it gets pointless, lots of very decent cleaning products avail, no need for "bike" specific products that trade on the fact it's designed specifically for bike use, as if...

Best tip ever, get those mechanic type gloves from the protective wear spots that are close fitting cloth gloves with rubber over the palm and fingers.

Also avail at hardware store/garden centers - Efekto sell a good one for R25, lasts for donkeys years and good for doing repairs as well - best thing for taking the greasy chain off and not getting oiled up hands and grease under the nails....

Frame and chain gets a clean Green wash. If the driveteain is full of wax I give it a scrub with a parafin and water mix. Then rinse. Stanchions regularly get a coat if silicone ook or the Brunox deo spray. Works wonders for the suspension

• 2 months later...

After reading this thread this morning I gave Marius a call at Namgear & picked up a bottle of bike wash, chain cleaner & polish...Ladies & Gents it is my pleasure to tell y'all this evening that Namgear is the sheeeznit!! There is no better product!! It is the same product used by bike stores! Price paid, same as price for 1 wash & lube.. Plus I have loads of bike wash, chain cleaner as well as Polish left. The stuff I'd awesome people. Chain is bling bling! No sales talk, just hope all you guys get to try it and save a few bucks! Please give it a go folks, you just spray it on, and hose it down.. Spotless!! (Oh yeah and the service, Marius, is just fantastic too) so happy to support a great local product such as nam gear! Ciao4now

Don't use a high pressure spray.

No reason not to use one if you have one, makes life easy, just use the minimum pressure, and don't point it directly at the wrong spots on your bike (seals and tires are vulnerable)

Pro mechanics use them all the time without issues.

If you don't own a pressure washer, a gardena brush that attaches to a hose also make life easy.

Get a bucket fill it up with water (lukewarm) and throw some car wax wash soap in there, mix it up. Grab my bike cleaning sponge, brush and shammy cloth.

Fire up the the hose, at like a medium-ish pressure nothing too mad. Spray the bike off.

Start washing it with the sponge nicely, make sure you cover all the parts.

Take off the wheels clean them with brush, the actual tire itself. Clean the frame where you couldn't get access to with the wheels on. Use the brush (it's a medium brush not hard) and brush off the cassette before refitting the rear wheel.

Replace the wheels, clean all the mechanical parts, I just brush them off, like the derailleurs etc.

Once it's all clean fire up that hose again and rinse it off nicely. Then I take my shammy cloth and dry it up nicely where I can.

Then I bounce the bike a few times so that the extra water that remains falls off. I then go to mister compressor and I blow off all the water at my bolts, wheels, mechanical part like the derailleurs, brake levers etc.

After this it should be clean and dry, then I just apply chain lube. And grease and oil where needed.

I clean my bike like this after 6 trips. In between depending on how dirty it might be, I just rinse off and wipe.

Oh one more thing, when my bike is full of dust doesn't matter of the time. I will always just rinse the dust off my derailleurs, bolts etc.

And yeah that is how I do it.

Edited by Ruan de Lange

My garden technician, Mr Nearly Ncube, after an apprenticeship in applied bike washing from my LBS does a splendid job inbetween weeding my wife's flowerbeds and helping himself to my single malt......

My garden technician, Mr Nearly Ncube, after an apprenticeship in applied bike washing from my LBS does a splendid job inbetween weeding my wife's flowerbeds and helping himself to my single malt......

You should just nail his ass... once or twice.... use one of these...

http://builderblog.integritywindows.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/DeWalt-16-Nail-Gun-Big.jpg

Edited by V12man

Get a bucket fill it up with water (lukewarm) and throw some car wax wash soap in there, mix it up. Grab my bike cleaning sponge, brush and shammy cloth.

Fire up the the hose, at like a medium-ish pressure nothing too mad. Spray the bike off.

Start washing it with the sponge nicely, make sure you cover all the parts.

Take off the wheels clean them with brush, the actual tire itself. Clean the frame where you couldn't get access to with the wheels on. Use the brush (it's a medium brush not hard) and brush off the cassette before refitting the rear wheel.

Replace the wheels, clean all the mechanical parts, I just brush them off, like the derailleurs etc.

Once it's all clean fire up that hose again and rinse it off nicely. Then I take my shammy cloth and dry it up nicely where I can.

Then I bounce the bike a few times so that the extra water that remains falls off. I then go to mister compressor and I blow off all the water at my bolts, wheels, mechanical part like the derailleurs, brake levers etc.

After this it should be clean and dry, then I just apply chain lube. And grease and oil where needed.

I clean my bike like this after 6 trips. In between depending on how dirty it might be, I just rinse off and wipe.

Oh one more thing, when my bike is full of dust doesn't matter of the time. I will always just rinse the dust off my derailleurs, bolts etc.

And yeah that is how I do it.

Taking off the wheels and cleaning them....

You obviously don't have formula breaks. I avoid everything taking off my wheels because that implies another 30min setting the breaks so pads don't rub.

Other than that I have same routine as you

Edited by Jaco-fiets