The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

Can be a LOT of things.

Very likely you're just having too much fun and forgetting the nutrition! ;) 

Then again, I nearly passed out on Table Mountain one day because of vertigo feeling - think it was Oceans trail. Everything was moving and had a halo around edges, so coming down was... interesting. No, it was not something I smoked. I initially thought I was just tired on the day and/or mis-managed snacks. Then it started happening in normal life as well.

Turns out it was long-term medication I was using at the time - over time my body just at that stage started reacting that way to it.

So despite me making a joke. It can be nothing, it can be something serious. I do not think anybody here is qualified to give you a proper answer.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need some advice. I have mostly done road running ie. tar and gravel roads, but lately I have started moving more into trail running. I ultimately want to start doing proper trail running routes and maybe races.

But if the trail bits go on for too long before opening into a road again - I get ‘vertigo’ or ‘blotchy’ sight? What is causing it?

Jeepers, sounds scary. 

See a proper professional, don't play games with that

Jeepers, sounds scary. 

See a proper professional, don't play games with that

will do 

Was hoping it was just because I’m not in the habit of looking down while running, but you really have no choice when running on a trail. The shadows and light causing it? Thought it might get better with time?

will do 

Was hoping it was just because I’m not in the habit of looking down while running, but you really have no choice when running on a trail. The shadows and light causing it? Thought it might get better with time?

I first thought maybe an inner ear type thing. again though not really something you can self-diagnose accurately.

I doubt whether the running style change will cause anything (but then again I'm picturing Joburg trails... which is basically gravel road running ... )

Dunno man

The chap who won otter is currently leading skyrun, Lucky Miya just behind. Also the lady who came third in otter (I think also French) is 5th overall and leading Lady. 7 hours in

Edit:Dutch, not French

Edited by Chris_

240 people entered (I think..) 40 people dnf so far, which is really not a bad rate. Google suggested the weather wasn't bad but I have no idea what it's like on the ground.

Prob about 30 people still running.

Pere aurell bove did win, that's a pretty successful couple weeks here for him. Lucky was only 3 minutes behind! Ragna Debats took third which is properly gangster.

After spending my life savings at the Solomon store and running every ridge and mountain in Johannesburg I'm finally ready.

Tomorrow 4am the journey begins. a9576c7bea298c493e3917f32b29459a.jpg7193f97c34c6cca3fadcb31b546aefb1.jpg4d5c83d35757cd00fdcdd8b9868c0edd.jpg

That chap in the display window needs to get out in the sun a bit

What an experience.

I had the most amazing day. I could not have asked for anything more.

Everything fell into place perfectly

Alsonthe the first event I would not recommend to anyone [emoji23]a1b46089629bade288891bc0bfb66820.jpg82da87b5ef8650816b2e9eec196425ba.jpg

Awesome well done. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just caught a 30min segment on the Otter (or Retto to be politically correct) on Supersport. 

One: My gawd its a beautiful area! Definitely definitely need to get there.

Two: And more importantly. The Spanish chap who won, Pere Aurell, has the most monstrous quads! :drool: Mountain/sky running for the win, good grief. Don't let anyone say running makes you skinny 

I just caught a 30min segment on the Otter (or Retto to be politically correct) on Supersport.

Two: And more importantly. The Spanish chap who won, Pere Aurell, has the most monstrous quads! :drool: Mountain/sky running for the win, good grief. Don't let anyone say running makes you skinny

He also won Skyrun 100km two weeks later

His wife came 3rd overall

Two: And more importantly. The Spanish chap who won, Pere Aurell, has the most monstrous quads! :drool: Mountain/sky running for the win, good grief. Don't let anyone say running makes you skinny 

Do the Otter Trail hike and blow your mind

Ja, my friend wrecked her ITB and still ran a great Otter (for us mere mortals). She loved it! 

Edit: She went in semi unfriendly ITB and wrecked it on Otter - had to "drag her leg around" for the last hour.

Edited by SeaBee