The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

None of that terrain out here really.

But Pofadder at Van Gaalen's is an option.

Then Heia ranch, Hakahana, Groenkloof, Hedianga farm, Hennops are all options.

We did a lekker 30 odd km run at Heia. Also there is a parking spot beneath one of those koppies next to Hendrik Potgieter, I'll let you know where I just have to sms a buddy to get it again. Any way you run over that hill and into kloof and dall nature reserve and back, it is like 15km I think but it moers you hard. Also the ruimsig botanical gardens are rad.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We did a lekker 30 odd km run at Heia. Also there is a parking spot beneath one of those koppies next to Hendrik Potgieter, I'll let you know where I just have to sms a buddy to get it again. Any way you run over that hill and into kloof and dall nature reserve and back, it is like 15km I think but it moers you hard. Also the ruimsig botanical gardens are rad.

Great we're doing 30k there on the 20th. Do you have a Garmin file perhaps for me? How's the water availability?

Also doing Groenkloof Sunday and maybe a social run Saturday if you're keen.

Great we're doing 30k there on the 20th. Do you have a Garmin file perhaps for me? How's the water availability?

Also doing Groenkloof Sunday and maybe a social run Saturday if you're keen.

Check out my 30,9 km Run on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/154173851

I took my 2l bladder from home but they do have water there, they also had a waterpoint with bananas muffins etc but I'm not sure if they do that each weekend. Sounds lekker but my ITB is druving me mad atm and we leaving for the coast on thurs. Can't wait!

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like Groenkloof is the best option will have a go at it this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Did Heia blue and black route on Sunday. Ja well it's ok, reasonably well marked, nice little shop (owner/manager is a cool guy) but save for the climb up to the cell tower and the awesome decent down it's not my kind of trail.

Very open and flowing so you can see it's a mtb track. Guess I'm a trail snob but for trail running I like it technical and steep so this bored me. If you like dirt road running you'll dig it. Also it traverses many roads and properties so not inside a fenced park, so safety may be a concern.

I may go check some of the other trails there at some point, but for R40 and the drive from Pta I'm not too keen.

Did Heia blue and black route on Sunday. Ja well it's ok, reasonably well marked, nice little shop (owner/manager is a cool guy) but save for the climb up to the cell tower and the awesome decent down it's not my kind of trail.

Very open and flowing so you can see it's a mtb track. Guess I'm a trail snob but for trail running I like it technical and steep so this bored me. If you like dirt road running you'll dig it. Also it traverses many roads and properties so not inside a fenced park, so safety may be a concern.

I may go check some of the other trails there at some point, but for R40 and the drive from Pta I'm not too keen.

Thanks for the headsup, so I have recovered from my bout of flu and keen to get back to building my base. Do you perhaps have any files of your Groenkloof and Moreleta runs? Would help alot

Thanks for the headsup, so I have recovered from my bout of flu and keen to get back to building my base. Do you perhaps have any files of your Groenkloof and Moreleta runs? Would help alot

Moreletakloof http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/278651261

Groenkloof http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/226387760

Also went to Klipriviersberg on Sunday, 1000m gain in 30k. Proper trails there!~

Looking to do stairs at Voortrekker Monument on Sunday and possibly Groenkloof or Klipriviersberg for 3 hours saturday if anyone is keen?

Damn I feel sorry for you people :P. Sometimes I forget how lucky I am living 10 km from Jonkershoek...

• 2 weeks later...

Howzit guys/girls.

I have been strugeling with itb for two months now. Been doing almost zero activity and it is starting to show. I foam roll, ice and stretch twice a day, also been to the physio. Nithing I have done seems to help. Any ideas on what to try?

Thanks!

Hi Pieter1

I struggled with ITB for a long time, physio did not help. Problem was the wrong type of shoe. Maybe have a look at your shoes. As long as the cause of your ITB problems are not sorted, rolling, stretching and physio will not solve your pain. (in my experience)

Hope that helps.

I had some ITB a while back - couldnt shake it with just the foam roller and stretching.

I did get great results in a short time with Lyno therapy and some needles.

I think the biggest contributor to painless running is shoes and muscle balance.

Hope that helps.

As Vinny says the problem with any type of running injury is that it's usually caused as a reaction to something else that's out of whack; hips, weak glutes etc. So you need to find the route of the ITB problem to sort it out IMO.

Howzit guys/girls.

I have been strugeling with itb for two months now. Been doing almost zero activity and it is starting to show. I foam roll, ice and stretch twice a day, also been to the physio. Nithing I have done seems to help. Any ideas on what to try?

Thanks!

Shoes, I would look at the shoes and a sudden increase in mileage.

Thanks guys.

I have been to a foot doctor with my shoes and he sorted my inners. Just got off the phone with the physio and she reccons the foam roller might be agetating it so I'll lay off that for a bit. She said if that does not work we wil do needles...

Thanks guys!