The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated. Seems I have more options than I thought.

A toss up between Heia and Groenkloof for tomorrow (will try the others over the coming weeks). Anyone ever done a trip down to Suikerbosrand for a run?

Glad to have found a forum with some activity.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Howzit guys/girls.

I have been strugeling with itb for two months now. Been doing almost zero activity and it is starting to show. I foam roll, ice and stretch twice a day, also been to the physio. Nithing I have done seems to help. Any ideas on what to try?

Thanks!

I ran one of those Park runs nothing special just a 5km. Was fine all day, then the evening I could barely walk. Tore my ligaments in my foot. Flippen Sore :cursing:

Never knew I have pronating feet. Had to get a special insert for my shoes to stop the pronation.

Would say its a good thing when buying shoes to go to guys that knows what they doing they usually see it right away.

As Vinny says the problem with any type of running injury is that it's usually caused as a reaction to something else that's out of whack; hips, weak glutes etc. So you need to find the route of the ITB problem to sort it out IMO.

I have been doing butt excercises to sort out runners knee - as well as focusing on using my glutes more for running and it is definitely helping..got a 21 on Sunday, so interested to see how my knee holds up for that

I ran one of those Park runs nothing special just a 5km. Was fine all day, then the evening I could barely walk. Tore my ligaments in my foot. Flippen Sore :cursing:

Never knew I have pronating feet. Had to get a special insert for my shoes to stop the pronation.

Would say its a good thing when buying shoes to go to guys that knows what they doing they usually see it right away.

Yea man for sure. I got some plate things to put under my inners and that together with physio, ice and stretching really helped. Another nuce place to run is Glenburn lodge, esp if you just follow the baboon trails on the mountain. We also start close to some rock near the makro, go over the koppie and into kloofendal nature reserve. That run is tough but fun. That whole ridge is runable and has some super veiws.

Was spending a couple of weeks with the physio every 3-4 months as I increased my mileage which was very frustrating. ITB, tendanitis etc..., seemed every time I sorted an issue out it just transferred the problem elsewhere.

About 5 months ago I read 'The Cool Impossible'- Eric Orton. The book has a 're-training' program as well as specific foot/ankle/hip etc.. exercises to help strengthen the body for running. 

I basically needed to train myself to run differently, different posture, stride, foot strike- which took a couple of months- but having done that I am now doing 20% more mileage than I was able to before the change and been injury free through-out. Sore muscles and feet from the use of different muscle groups, but no injuries.

Not sure if it will work for everyone, but I obviously had some serious muscle weakness and bad technique. 

My wife and I are doing the otter next year, got the entries yesterday I think. Looking forward to it. I will definitely consider the walking poles, any other tips will be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

hi trail runners :)

new to trail running - and loving it.

at the moment i am only doing the short distance events (5km-7km or so).

anyone entered the Salomon City Trail happening on the 7th of December?

http://www.citytrail.co.za/This-is-citytrail.html

sounds like fun

I secured an early entry so I get the T-shirt for free :-)

Have you seen a route profile yet? I can't find anything on the website.

More proper trail running is going to happen this Saturday in Muizenberg:

http://www.quantumadventures.co.za/2013/09/30/muizenberg-mountain-run-30-nov/

I heard that there are still some entries left - in case you are interested :-)

I secured an early entry so I get the T-shirt for free :-)

Have you seen a route profile yet? I can't find anything on the website.

More proper trail running is going to happen this Saturday in Muizenberg:

http://www.quantumadventures.co.za/2013/09/30/muizenberg-mountain-run-30-nov/

I heard that there are still some entries left - in case you are interested :-)

i am not quite there yet - fitness wise - 14km mountain race will be a bit to much for me.

i will end up doing alot of walking and not alot of running.

but will definitely remember this one for next year. 

regarding the CityTrail - i dont have a clue what the route is going to be like, except that we will be going up the rhodes memorial steps. they shared a photo on facebook giving us a clue of the route, and this photo is definitely the rhodes memorial steps.

see https://www.facebook.com/CityTrailSouthAfrica

Anyone here thinking of doing Skyrun next year?

Looks like I committed myself to entering next year, 9 years after my last one! :eek:

I am also EXTREMELY keen...

Anyone here thinking of doing Skyrun next year?

Looks like I committed myself to entering next year, 9 years after my last one! :eek:

How was Ian's time....12 odd hours!

So I'm now in the market to replace my XT Wings maar *** my, the price of the new Inov-8 Race Ultra 290's is ridiculous (I could replace a drivetrain for less!).

Looks like I'll get Inov-8 Trailroc 255's (6mm drop). 

So I'm now in the market to replace my XT Wings maar *** my, the price of the new Inov-8 Race Ultra 290's is ridiculous (I could replace a drivetrain for less!).

Looks like I'll get Inov-8 Trailroc 255's (6mm drop). 

I wouldn't go from such a cushioned shoe with around 11mm drop and pronation control to a minimal 6mm drop shoe directly unless you are used to shoes in that range or intend to only put it in your rotation for certain runs.  Rather try something around 8mm with some cushion.