The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

Shoes, I would look at the shoes and a sudden increase in mileage.

The milage is what caused it for sure. Did a 30k, started hurting but my ego got in the way when I should have stoped.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As Vinny says the problem with any type of running injury is that it's usually caused as a reaction to something else that's out of whack; hips, weak glutes etc. So you need to find the route of the ITB problem to sort it out IMO.

Is there a place/person who can tell me if one of those things is out of place?

I can recommend 2 places in Pta - not sure about Jhb

Could you let me know? Mabey if I phone them they could refer me to a place or person that could help.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Did any of you fo the Rock Rabit Run today? Was super fun.

I was going to but got sick on Friday,  I am doing the Spur series. You?

<script language='javascript'> </script>

I was going to but got sick on Friday, I am doing the Spur series. You?

Man you missed some serious runing. Was cool. I'll look into it, seems like it will be fun.

PING WEIGHT WEENIE!

How was the Retto?

Bloed, sweet, snot en amper trane and 8h:38m later I was in.

Honestly it was easier than I thought, but I did prepare for it to be mayhem. Nutrition and gear was great.  Nice overcast weather but it's so humid in that forest you sweat like a pig any way. Nice and muddy from the rain from the night before meant soft conditions underfoot but you had to be more careful at some sections - only fell once! Only downside was it was weather level 3 so meant carrying a fleece, base layer and waterproof jacket so with all the other stuff my pack was in the 4-5kg range.  Filled twice from streams (so awesome!) but it was a dry year so carried more water to be safe, could have saved weight there definitely.  

Poles - if you do this race train with them, carry them, use them! Saved me from a nasty fall. I used them all the way from after the GU Munchie point and they really helped move the effort to my upper body to an extent vs just legs.  

I'd still like to hike it, you still have to concentrate so much you don''t see that much especially as I was trying to go sub 8.  My moving time was 7:45 so I wasted loads of time but you don't notice that on the run.  Was 5 min ahead at Andre (100m climb in 400m to the parking!), 10 min ahead at Bloukrans (lost my Rudy Projects here was VERY p1ssed off)  and spent 5 min looking before heading on.  2 min behind at 3h33 at the Munchie but had pushed too hard, the last half is harder on the Retto and from there to Scott and then Ngube took forever.   

From there the last bit on the rocks I knew sub 8 was out so I just took it easy as you really have to pick a line and scramble and jump etc.  and those rocks with the mussels are so sharp you don't want to get it wrong.  

My recovery after was very good muscle wise (got a bit of a chest infection unfortunately) but my first run a 5k in Moreletakloof a week after that I was so sore I had some Recovery Brew that evening. Have done 3 other runs from then and I'm slowly coming back.  

Still need to consider if I'm doing it next year. Not cheap! 

Who else ran? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I am new to this thread and was hoping to get some suggestions for a run tomorrow morning. I was hoping to do somewhere between 20km - 25km in the Northern Jhb area.

Just heard Groenkloof is not a safe option, and with Kingskloof closed, and Bsorah closed on Saturdays my options seem limited.

Any help would be appreciated- do not mind driving +/- 1 hour to find a good trail in the area.

Look forward to suggestions.

Thx

Bushfreak

What about the trails at HERO Adventure Park at Heia Safari or Northern Farm? Or Klipriviersberg if you want to go to the South of Jhb.

Hi there, I am new to this thread and was hoping to get some suggestions for a run tomorrow morning. I was hoping to do somewhere between 20km - 25km in the Northern Jhb area.

Just heard Groenkloof is not a safe option, and with Kingskloof closed, and Bsorah closed on Saturdays my options seem limited.

Any help would be appreciated- do not mind driving +/- 1 hour to find a good trail in the area.

Thx

Bushfreak

Groenkloof is safe. Don't go to Fountains.

I run at Groenkloof 3 times a week and cycle there and theres always plenty people and some really nice trails. The yellow route is just over 10ks and transitions through some nice differrent terrain.

Thx

Bushfreak

Walter Sisulu gardens can be a super chalange and it is safe. Verry nice and green after the rain.