Liners or slime - Roadbike

Guest DieBees

Guest DieBees

Hi guys.

My wife is absolutely terrified of punctures. So much that she refuses to ride alone.

She was on track for a sub four at the argus and got a puncture and ended waiting for me for about 45 mins to help her fix the puncture.

She absolutely refuses to fix a puncture and claims she cant do it... ( i have taught her many times!)

For the argus I fitted new tyres.

So she has opted for tyre liners or slime. I am holding her back in her cycling and would like to see her progress.

So, the fact is she does not get a lot of punctures but she would like the peace of mind from punctures... I told her the solution wont be 100% fool proof.

What to do?

Edited by DieBees

Tyre liners make the ride very hard and cause pinch flats.

Sealant will only seal around the 3 bar mark and on a road bike that's pretty low.

She needs to find a group or someone to ride with and not go out alone.

Slime in road tubes generally does not work due to the high pressure - any hole bigger than a gnat's arse and you'll have sealant peeing all over the place. I've had much success with tubeless road tyres. But they're pricey and you need special rims/wheels (e.g. Campag's two-way fit). Maybe try liners - just check them every few months or so as the edges at the end of the liners can puncture a tube over time.

Guest DieBees

Slime in road tubes generally does not work due to the high pressure - any hole bigger than a gnat's arse and you'll have sealant peeing all over the place. I've had much success with tubeless road tyres. But they're pricey and you need special rims/wheels (e.g. Campag's two-way fit). Maybe try liners - just check them every few months or so as the edges at the end of the liners can puncture a tube over time.

Thanks. Whats the price of tubeless?

I have used campag 2 way fit wheels with Hutchinson tubeless and its been great so far.

The cheaper option is a can of "tyreweld" or similar for bikes

http://powasol.co.za...fast-tyre-weld/

Not a long term solution, but definitely a "get home safely" option. Downside is that it leaves you with a bit of a mess to clean afterwards when you change the tube.

Not a long term solution, but definitely a "get home safely" option. Downside is that it leaves you with a bit of a mess to clean afterwards when you change the tube.

Alternatively she could just learn to change a tube.

FWIW I run with gatorskins and have very few punctures

i Got my wife a pair of American Classic' 30' on buycycle for R3900, they come tubeless ready. Then got conti tubeless tires for around R500 each.

I am very impressed with the wheels, if I spin the front wheel it keeps spinning for 7 minutes, it just goes and goes

I have used campag 2 way fit wheels with Hutchinson tubeless and its been great so far.

The cheaper option is a can of "tyreweld" or similar for bikes

http://powasol.co.za...fast-tyre-weld/

What he said

Alternatively she could just learn to change a tube.

FWIW I run with gatorskins and have very few punctures

I also use Continental Gatorskins and cannot remember when last I had a puncture.

my wife had endless issues with punctures.

we tried, slime, thicker tubes, tire liners and combinations of the the three and NOTHING worked.

switched to Continental Gatorskins and had one puncture in the last year.

I also use Continental Gatorskins and cannot remember when last I had a puncture.

I only use to get sidewall cuts with my Gators which ended in a puncture and a new tire...

Until she can change her own tube she will always be held back in cycling. It really is not that difficult...tireliners, slime, etc wnt work once a piece of glass makes it way through...

Edited by MTB_Roadie

Virtually all road puncture I have repaired on the side of the road over the last 10 years have been due to pinch flats. Second was poorly fitted or old rim tape. Unless the road is wet, even riding through some glass, a puncture should not be an inevitability.

I suspect that if she punctured on Argus (and assuming she was not in the leading batches) it was a pinch flat as the odds are that one of the 70 000 wheels that had passed over the same stretch of read would have picked up tan object sharp enough to puncture a new tyre.

Gatorskins, pumped to the right pressure, is about as good as you'll get. Carry some tyreweld and you should be ok.

you can't avoid punctures altogether. Your wife should really get over her loathing to change a tyre. Bit surprised she is willing to exert plenty of effort to achieve her riding goals, but shirks the simple task of learning to change a tube. *ahem*

That said, a different tyre could mitigate the risk of puncture as well. I personally am a huge fan of the Schwable Ultremo DD, or double defense, tyre. Superb grip, and very resilient.

I am holding her back in her cycling and would like to see her progress.

She's holding herself back. If she was really into it, she'd change her own tires.