(Update) Absa Cape Epic: Evans and Knox penalised for unfair advantage

News bot

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally someone with some common sense making an informed & accurate post on this thread.

Thanks Andrew, the most sober comment of all. There can be no excuse for taking a shortcut. If Kevin believes he has a well set appeal then why not lodge it. I doubt 5m would have been appealed. What kind of support is he mustering up by emphasising the 5m? We must trust in the panel that considers the protests. Thanks Scott riders for identify the cheat on the ride. Happy days for Mattyhs - go get the jersey boys!! without cheating of course.

It was televised though....that is where I saw it anyway. Doesn't matter anyway...that boat has sailed.

True. But can you or I also lodge a complaint within 30min of seeing it on TV? Most probably not. If it's only competitors that can lodge a complaint then they can ride as they please as long as nobody sees them.

An appeal by Kevin Evans and Max Knox (FedGroup Itec) against their one-hour penalty for taking an illegal shortcut in the Absa Cape Epic failed Thursday night.

The penalty effectively ended their pursuit of the red Africa jersey - for the first all-African team to finish - and they appeared to be taking it easy on Friday’s stage five.

Other riders complained after Evans apparently took a short cut across an uphill switchback on stage four.

The Commissaires Panel said in a statement that a protest had been made to the race office: “… it was stated that a member of team 13 (Kevin Evans) deviated from the course (took a shortcut) and in doing so gained an unfair advantage over other riders.

“Review of Go-Pro camera footage from the rider immediately behind the rider in question, as well as footage from team 13’s own Go-Pro (attached to the bicycle of the accused rider) confirms that the incident occurred, and that an unfair advantage was gained.”

Please follow the link to see the recorded footage of the alleged incident : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z219ftsb40dggn4/qA2oQPTk14

An appeal by Kevin Evans and Max Knox (FedGroup Itec) against their one-hour penalty for taking an illegal shortcut in the Absa Cape Epic failed Thursday night.

The penalty effectively ended their pursuit of the red Africa jersey - for the first all-African team to finish - and they appeared to be taking it easy on Friday’s stage five.

Other riders complained after Evans apparently took a short cut across an uphill switchback on stage four.

The Commissaires Panel said in a statement that a protest had been made to the race office: “… it was stated that a member of team 13 (Kevin Evans) deviated from the course (took a shortcut) and in doing so gained an unfair advantage over other riders.

“Review of Go-Pro camera footage from the rider immediately behind the rider in question, as well as footage from team 13’s own Go-Pro (attached to the bicycle of the accused rider) confirms that the incident occurred, and that an unfair advantage was gained.”

Please follow the link to see the recorded footage of the alleged incident : https://www.dropbox....ggn4/qA2oQPTk14

And their is the proof. Sorry Mr Evans. I wonder what you get for misleading your followers with your 5m interpretation?

If he did it get unfair advantage then he must take his punishment. I like KE he seems like a nice guy. Sometimes I think in the heat of the moment people do have brain farts.

On the other hand if he was going for a Strava KOM I would flag and tar and feather the cheating bas....... (kidding) :whistling:

Please follow the link to see the recorded footage of the alleged incident : https://www.dropbox....ggn4/qA2oQPTk14

Thx nsBB

PS: That link is not correct

I can't see the video, I am sure it will be on youtube soon.. but if an unfair advantage was gained and if it was more than 5m and if he gained minutes by doing so.. then he must maar take his hiding.

I still think this whole.. don't get caught or be told on, setup they have is BS.. race officials need to be more pro active.

I can't see the video, I am sure it will be on youtube soon.. but if an unfair advantage was gained and if it was more than 5m and if he gained minutes by doing so.. then he must maar take his hiding.

I still think this whole.. don't get caught or be told on, setup they have is BS.. race officials need to be more pro active.

also cannot see the video (goes to outlook login) BUT - if he passed 12 people in order to catch the moustached one then sorry..thats cheating..1 hour is fair

Wooow... now what was he thinking huh.. ja he took a 5m shortcut, but skipped a lot more than 5m on the track.. why didn't he just ride past the guys.. def.. unfair advantage.. sorry boet take your hiding and apologize to your partner for having a moment of being a idiot.