Tyres for Epic

Turk182

I'm taking 5 sets with' date=' gonna see which I feel like running on the day.

A set of Spesh Captains

A set of Spesh Fast Trak's

A set of Bontie Dry-X's

A set of Crossmarks

A set of Small Block 8's

Thinking of taking some Python's with as well, just in case.
[/quote']

Titus how are you going to make the decision of which tyre to choose from ?

It seems the more choice you have the less chance there is of making the right choice.

6 makes of tires to choose from each day? this is going to be interesting

I'm gonna be basing my descisions on what Simon Gear

Rather listen to Margo. She's more accurate. And prettier.

If it was me I'd take a two sets of new Kenda Karma tubeless tyres. Great all-round tyre and only R325 each on CRC :)

The experts' feelings re two different tyres' date=' e.g. crossmark rear and WTB front? [/quote']

It'll work, just very uncool.

I reckon that Kenda's Klimax lite Tubeless is the best way to go, light at 550 grams a tyre, tubeless, so nice and thick and super fast rolling. A pair of Maxxis Larsen Mimo's, 1.95, are also a good idea to take if the heavens suddenly open up. 

Pythons willbe my rubberof choice.

I will not take larger volume tyres for the sandy stages- I will just deflate my tyres thanks to the secure mechanical seal of a UST tyre to a UST rim..

I'll have 4 of them with me.

If it rains then it rains

Did Sani2C on Nobby Nic's.  Must be one of the best tyres I have ever had.  I have had Pythons, Crossmarks, Bontrager, etc.  It rolls fast, but has excellent grip.  I think for the Epic, with less technical stuff, the new 2008 Racing Ralphs should be an excellent tyre.  Go for tubeless version, and sidewalls should not be a problem.  Can import these for around R400 per tyre.  Otherwise, I will go for Crossmark.

• 7 months later...
I think for the Epic' date=' with less technical stuff, the new 2008 Racing Ralphs should be an excellent tyre.  Go for tubeless version, and sidewalls should not be a problem.  Can import these for around R400 per tyre.  Otherwise, I will go for Crossmark.[/quote']

I reckon this year the epic will have "more technical stuff" as opposed to "less technical stuff"  so good tires will be essential.

What are the best tyres to use for Epic' date=' Small Block 8? I used TT Larsens last time but they are way too spongy.... help needed please[/quote']

Oh stop fussing about tyres. Just put a bit more air in thos Larsens and the spongyness will disappear.

With the thickness of tread we're talking here, any compression in the tyre is purely pressure related.

Did Sani2C on Nobby Nic's.  Must be one of the best tyres I have ever had.  I have had Pythons' date=' Crossmarks, Bontrager, etc.  It rolls fast, but has excellent grip.  I think for the Epic, with less technical stuff, the new 2008 Racing Ralphs should be an excellent tyre.  Go for tubeless version, and sidewalls should not be a problem.  Can import these for around R400 per tyre.  Otherwise, I will go for Crossmark.[/quote']

If you can land the new UST Nobby Nicks for that price, I will probably take a set.

I used Specialized Pros in this year's Epic. Better than the Control - the Control has a bit too thin of a sidewall which means it burps if you hit something solid (like a rots, china). 2bliss, with Oko for sealant; my partner had same. 960km = 0 punctures....I'm sticking with those.

JB, let the dude ask other people's advice. If you don't want to read the thread, don't!!

Tires are a very personal choice. There is little difference between the brands and even products from the same brand. Choose a brand and product you like, believe in, and feel comfortable with and stick to it.