Indoor trainer

When the Wahoo KICKR was announced last August, it was touted as being open on both Bluetooth Smart as well as ANT+. And in many ways it was. It was controllable via Bluetooth Smart, and apps could (and have been) designed for it. And it also outputted ANT+ data to various ANT+ devices.

However there was one little wrinkle: It didn’t allow ANT+ control, and required Bluetooth Smart (Bluetooth 4.0). And that was of particular note to households which lacked a newer iPhone or iPad – which have been the only platforms that the KICKR supported control over. Without either of those two devices, your KICKR was effectively a big 46 pound brick.

Here is the link - http://www.dcrainmak...s-industry.html

Seems you're right BUT its not that simple. I wanted that ANT+ dongle for iphone 5

Seems a firmware update sorted it out in May2013....like I said, the biggest factor that will influence me buying the kickr is that it supports both protocols....'

from dc's site

"I think with the addition of ANT support for KICKR, we’ll at least start to see significant progress in the next 60-90 days on Android and Windows apps for that, hopefully catching up with the iOS focused apps. Those apps should be able to make a relatively easy transition to the final ANT+ device profile once that’s released. And then as we head into the fall, we’ll ideally see the hardware companies catching up as well in implementing support there. In many ways, software and hardware companies really have no choice – if they don’t, they’ll be left behind and seen as uncompetitive."

Edited by rouxtjie

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems a firmware update sorted it out in May2013....like I said, the biggest factor that will influence me buying the kickr is that it supports both protocols....'

from dc's site

I prefer the aunty screaming at me twice a week

Haibo...but you have wattlab?

I only want the dongle to pick up data from wattbike, not the trainer

I only want the dongle to pick up data from wattbike, not the trainer

cyclops in woodmead has them...but you also need an adapter I think for the new apple connector

Or buy dip's one....I don't really need it...more a want.

Edited by rouxtjie

cyclops in woodmead has them...but you also need an adapter I think for the new apple connector

Or buy dip's one....I don't really need it...more a want.

If I get the adapter (lightning to 30 pin) then I can continue using the Garmin ANT+ dongle. I was looking at getting a lightning dongle

If I get the adapter (lightning to 30 pin) then I can continue using the Garmin ANT+ dongle. I was looking at getting a lightning dongle

ahhh ek verstaan nou

Isn't it both garfield....ie pretty future proof and probably the best reason to purchase it. Doesnt matter which way the industry goes in a couple of years from now, you will support both.

PS if I was a betting man, I think Ant+ will still dominate due to it being entrenched so deeply and also it has a user group that is pushing for open protocol....but who knows.

Hi Rouxtjie

The psysical trainer is blue tooth. However the app can be both (if you have the hardware).

mmmmmmmmm now I am confused

Hi Rouxtjie

The psysical trainer is blue tooth. However the app can be both (if you have the hardware).

mmmmmmmmm now I am confused

the way I understand it is that the unit itself can pair with both ant+ or bluetooth 4 protocols and transmit. Well that is what rainmakers review says anyway.

Well then it is both. That oke is very specific and knows his stuff.

I got the Wahoo Kickr. I though I would use my Garmin 910xt's accessories (HR/Cadence and dongle) for the rest. Then I realised I needed Windows 8. So I got a tablet with Bluetooth 4. Now the accessories don't work so I had to order BT HR/Cadence items separately.

Now finally everything seems to be working.

Well then it is both. That oke is very specific and knows his stuff.

I got the Wahoo Kickr. I though I would use my Garmin 910xt's accessories (HR/Cadence and dongle) for the rest. Then I realised I needed Windows 8. So I got a tablet with Bluetooth 4. Now the accessories don't work so I had to order BT HR/Cadence items separately.

Now finally everything seems to be working.

lekkers man...the kickr is a great piece of kit...enjoy you lucky guy

I need to hijack this thread for a sec to ask a noob question. I recently converted from blackberry to Iphone and am starting to explore and enjoy Strava. But, i am still using a Polar hrm. Is it possible to connect my Polar strap to my Iphone?

I need to hijack this thread for a sec to ask a noob question. I recently converted from blackberry to Iphone and am starting to explore and enjoy Strava. But, i am still using a Polar hrm. Is it possible to connect my Polar strap to my Iphone?

Yes - there are some apps and they have a dongle type device that plugs into your iphone.

http://myithlete.com/ithlete-ECG-Receiver.html

HR strap compatibility

http://myithlete.com/FAQ.html#faq4

Whether or not this can do what you want it to is an open question..... but it is pretty good for doing what it is designed to do - Heart rate variability analysis - allegedly a good measure of recovery/over training.

HRV features are contained in the new higher end Polar monitors, so you don't need the APP if you have one of those.

Edited by V12man