specialized warranty experience, good bad or ugly

SBRA

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a warranty on a frame and I have a bad habit of never keeping till slips.

All I did was check my bank statement for the date I did the transfer. Informed the LBS of the date and all checked out on their system. From there on out it was between my LBS and Spez.

Warranty granted.

My warranty claim was for a paint defect on the chain stay. I think it is a 2 year warranty on paint.

Edited by YUMEYA

I had a warranty on a frame and I have a bad habit of never keeping till slips.

All I did was check my bank statement for the date I did the transfer. Informed the LBS of the date and all checked out on their system. From there on out it was between my LBS and Spez.

Warranty granted.

My warranty claim was for a paint defect on the chain stay. I think it is a 2 year warranty on paint.

100%, i too never keep till slips however in this case cash was used and not a cc, however the shop manager Ricky actually remembers the purchase. Ricky has been very helpful, however I believe his hands are tied.

Sent: 27 March 2014 09:20 AM

To: Adrian Maaske

Subject: Re: Re:

Hi Adrian

I explained the story to Rupert...

Last year I went to buy 2 pairs of specialized s work Mtb shoes as I was having issues with mine...Ricki said that the issue I had was not right and said he would send my shoes in....I gave them to him and still bought the 2 new pairs...

After about 2 months I went back to the store to buy a new prevail helmet and asked about the shoes...Ricki told me u guys wouldn't do anything and gave them back to me....

Because I was unable to wear the shoes as there was a piece sticking into my toe I gave them to my sister who is a size smaller than me...and the fault wouldn't cause her any pain...

She then took the shoes and sent them to you guys....next thing she gets a call that the shoes have been replaced and she can go collect a new pair!(obviously with no proof of purchase, as I purchased them ...and they were an older model than my road shoes)

I'm not sure if it's a case of who u know...

Maybe now u are starting to understand where my frustration is coming from.

I have spent a fortune in your store and replace things constantly! After this incident I could not believe what had happened...I asked Ricki if they ever even sent me shoes in...?? Who knows...

What I do know is that I have been a loyal customer for the last 8 years not just accessory wise, but bikes, saddles everything!

Clearly your accessories are not the same standard as your bikes...yet they are not cheap!

Really , really disappointed ...

Regards

Hi Yael…

First of all our warranty policy only covers the first owner of the product, so your sister was in fact not entitled to claim warranty to begin with, your sister also stated to Rupert that She was the original owner of the product.

We made an exception in her case as I was under the impression that She was the original owner and that a proof of purchase could not be pulled from the stores system or presented by the owner.

In addition we received an official letter head from Concept Cyclery stating that the shoes were purchased in store around July/ August 2013.

These MTB shoes were also relatively new in terms of the overall look and condition, these shoes were in fact technically speaking 2008-2010 model MTB shoes as they were replaced by a newer version during 2011.

Kind Regards,

Adrian Maaske

Warranty Manager

Specialized Bicycles Africa

www.specialized.com

Fax: 0862365642

Office: +27 21 808 7333

Direct line: +27 21 808 7323

Date: Friday, April 4, 2014

Subject: RE: Re:

To: Sean Newcombe <Sean.Newcombe@specialized.com>

Hi Sean

Just thought you should see the last mail I received from Adrian ...firstly stating that a warrantee is only given to the original owner and secondly that a warrantee is only given on products not older than two years...

In the case of the Mtb shoes, Adrian states that the shoes were discontinued in 2010...which is correct!

Yet u warranted these shoes that were 4 years old with no proof of purchase and not to the original owner ...odd don't u think??

Yet I bring in 2 products which were newer models and purchased within the last 2 years and strangely nothing can be done...unless I find a proof of purchase!

You were dishonest from the start trying to warrantee 4 year old item, then giving it to your sister to warrantee. Now you want them to warrantee 2 year old items without proof of purchase. How can you expect shoes to last forever. If they were 1,2 or 3 months old, fair enough. Nothing last forever, and because of chancers like yourself, you give good honest okes like us a bad rep. And make bike brands doubt us. Please go to Pick n Pay, Game, Checkers etc, all companies with 10 000 x the turnover as Spez South Africa without a slip and try and exchange your fitness flyer, pool gobler or Raleigh special without a slip. Good luck.

Edited by Johny Bravo

me thinks you are skelm. so you can not get a new pair so you send your sister to another shop and she lies to them. they help her and now they look crap at their supplier because you are skelm. now you are bitching bacause you soma want spez to give you new shoes again. go play at the babycity forum

Can someone please explain to me why a warranty on cycling items falls away after the original owner sells it? What is the rationale behind it?