Joberg2C on Hardtail?

wings47

Hi,

Looking for some opinions from experienced Hubbers who have done Joberg2C and possibly also Epic ...

I train and race on a Scott Scale for marathons and 3 day events (Sani, W2W, etc). Really enjoy the lightness and stiffness of the bike.

However, for Epic 2014, I switched to my trusted Tallboy (veteran of my previous Epic's) and was very happy given the rough terrain and long tough days.

Now planning on Joberg2c .... question is, should I do it on the Scott Scale or on the Tallboy?

How rough is the terrain? (compare to Epic)

how rocky/loose and steep are the climbs?

To a certain degree I prioritise speed over comfort, unless it gets too bad/rough (saddle sores, etc).

thanks

I am not the most experienced rider, however, when it comes to stage races, dual is always best. Unless you are superman. I would not attempt a stage race with my ht, even though it is my favourite bike. Everyone is different.

all i read is

2013 epic

2014 epic

2014 J2C

you either have great sponsor or a lot of disposable cash....can I have some of it? :whistling: :ph34r:

as for your question...the only place you will need the dual sus is the berg and bush sections as far as I can ascertain

all i read is

2013 epic

2014 epic

2014 J2C

you either have great sponsor or a lot of disposable cash....can I have some of it? :whistling: :ph34r:

as for your question...the only place you will need the dual sus is the berg and bush sections as far as I can ascertain

Berg and Bush sections are easily do-able on a ht. There is only one downhill where I wished I had a dual.

Berg and Bush sections are easily do-able on a ht. There is only one downhill where I wished I had a dual.

I was thinking more of that snakey bit.. I think it's called "puff adder"

I have a ht and a tallboy .No question ,do it on your tallboy .last year it was one of the most popular bikes at jb2c .5hours a day on a Ht for 9 days is a long time .On day 9 I could,t keep my head up anymore and i had carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands .The last thing you want is bum trouble

To a certain degree I prioritise speed over comfort, unless it gets too bad/rough (saddle sores, etc).

thanks

Out of interest, how much faster are you on a HT than a Dualie?

In reality, on the first few days you may well be faster on the HT, but come the last 3 days or so (when fatigue sets in) will you still be faster. I think (just my opnion) the dualie will save you a bunch of energy over the 9 days and overall you will end up being just as quick?

Edited by Dubber

Out of interest, how much faster are you on a HT than a Dualie?

In reality, on the first few days you may well be faster on the HT, but come the last 3 days or so (when fatigue sets in) will you still be faster. I think (just my opnion) the dualie will save you a bunch of energy over the 9 days and overall you will end up being just as quick?

The terrain suits a dual sus perfectly .long stretches of undulating but fast riding .I like my Ht also and would love to do the first 3days on Ht Ss .BUT it is 9days and everything starts hurting day 5/6 and then there is still the rest .Guys pull out because of small problems turning to big problems ,like knee pain ,saddle sores ,neck spasms ,just gatvol .Don,t be discouraged it is a great ride

Do it on what ever you feel like.

I would suggest if speed is what you after go with the HT, if a comfortable finish then take the FS

I would go HT.

I did epic on a HT and J2c is way smoother than epic.

Mike

+1

Especially considering you place speed over comfort.

If I did Epic again I'd splash on a duallie but Joberg2C = hard tail.

I'm looking for an entry for next year and will be doing it on a HT. Heard of lots of people doing it and they say it's fine.