Self Defense

bedserboy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jakkels; I also know a martial arts guy who was badly hurt when caught by surprise but training can possibly mitigate the damage when violence takes place. Agree about the punch bag too. Amazing how tiring just a few seconds (well a minute) of full on fighting can be.

This is in relation to the issues that are being noted at the Voortrekker monument.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/32363-pretoria-danger-areas/page-21?do=findComment&comment=2629580

Who carries something with them? Pepper spray, stun gun, Pistol (if you want to share)..

Also, what would you suggest is the pro's and cons of each. I understand that they are so quick upon you that there might not be sometimes time to think, but in the event that you have a 2-3 meter gap, you might have some time to spray pepper spray etc.

Or am I just daydreaming here...

I think carrying a pistol is a very bad idea. I carry a big pepper spray and a telescopic spring baton, total cost about R100. The pepper spray should be mandatory for everyone, they work very well if used at close range. The baton gives me the option of fighting if I want to. I tried carrying a stun gun, shocked myself a few times and it also leaks current when it is damp.

On eBay they sell a GPS satellite tracking device that fits into your steerer tube, basically a cheap tube shaped GPS cellphone with 30 day battery life, it costs about R500. If you send the device an SMS it SMS's you back the geo location.

Never ride alone, We pack heat whilst riding. Always in the RED zone for alertness. SAPS SWAT :ph34r: training might come in handy, But rule nr.1 is to avoid doggy areas and conflict. Get a good insurance company, you can always replace your bike. :blush:

"Doggy areas" are the worst... No training can prepare you for a pack of rabid Transkei hounds.

Another thought.

There may be situations when you know it is not about possessions anymore and fighting till the last drop of blood is the only solution.

But in a typical bike-jack or similar robbery this is not the case. Unfortunately the inequality in this country is so dramatic that the ethics of poor people is simply stretched. This produces criminals and will do so until the social situation is defused (this is not an excuse of crime with poverty so please let's have the discussion about that elsewhere....).

Bottom line is that there are criminals and will be for the time being and as cyclists we display our money like no-one else. The ideal target and an easy pick.

No you come along and beat the s$%^ out of the knife wielding robber who wants to have your bike.

What do you think will happen?

If the guy is not an idiot he will think about how to avoid being beaten up again. Easy solution would be to stab/shot the victim before collecting the valuables undisturbed.

I am not keen to be shot without warning for my iPhone and bike only because the robber on my unlucky day got his ass kicked in the day before.

I have my bike insured and would prefer to live and then buy a new one.

Think about it. 

Another thought.

There may be situations when you know it is not about possessions anymore and fighting till the last drop of blood is the only solution.

But in a typical bike-jack or similar robbery this is not the case. Unfortunately the inequality in this country is so dramatic that the ethics of poor people is simply stretched. This produces criminals and will do so until the social situation is defused (this is not an excuse of crime with poverty so please let's have the discussion about that elsewhere....).

Bottom line is that there are criminals and will be for the time being and as cyclists we display our money like no-one else. The ideal target and an easy pick.

No you come along and beat the s$%^ out of the knife wielding robber who wants to have your bike.

What do you think will happen?

If the guy is not an idiot he will think about how to avoid being beaten up again. Easy solution would be to stab/shot the victim before collecting the valuables undisturbed.

I am not keen to be shot without warning for my iPhone and bike only because the robber on my unlucky day got his ass kicked in the day before.

I have my bike insured and would prefer to live and then buy a new one.

Think about it. 

Interesting thought.

There is a difference in fighting back yes, but if pepepr spray is used to disable them and then run away, that is a good scenario. I do not care about my bike, it is insured...

Ok, looking for pepper spray, jet or fog? Where do you pick these things up? Shot

In Durbs the local big China malls have a large selection of pepper sprays and other cheap weapons.

I've watched the video 3 times, but still trying to figure out how rubbing over his crotch and kissing him in neck is going to save my life? Do I need to make the "ISH ISH ISH" noises as well?

• 1 year later...

Sooo.... with all the drama in the Cradle incident thread. I was thinking about self defense systems and how would you be able to defend yourself in an altercation like the one mentioned.

So for your benefit and viewing pleasure I'd like to share this awesome introduction to jiu jitsu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGO31XqkevM

I was mugged in a park in pta years ago. 5 BMs. 1 with a knife 1 with a brick. The 5 surrounded me. I had my gun on Me and did not pull it out. What i did was talk my way out the situation and opened my wallet and kept calm without showing them fear. They took what was in it the cash and i put the wallet back in my pocket with my cards and slowly got into my car and drove away. This happened in the parking area at the park near loftus. The one guy did grab my wrist so i slowly but firmly took his hand off me. The odds 5 to 1 are not good whether armed or not. Usually attackers outnumber you. On a bike you fall and then they have the advantage. I have done krav and it is good it is practical. A determined maybe desperate criminal may have more motivation to attack you than you have ability to fight him off. Just saying. It does happen so quickly.

I carry a gun on me about everywhere I go, and I did a lot of training on how to use it, which funny enough consisted mostly of been taught how not to have to use it.

I might have watched too many LA Law episodes, but two legal questions:

1. Is conceiled gun carry allowed in SA, and if yes, do you need a special gun license (over and above normal)

2. Might the courts take into account any special fight training in trying to figure out if the force used was too much?

Thanks guys! Sad to hear of the stories.

1) it's legal and encouraged. Only open carry if you own a tapout t-shirt, as you will tapout when the time comes. No special license.

2) the law states that you can fight/shot/stab until the threat has been terminated. So no excessive force after the threat has stopped. (Not the law verbatim)

I might have watched too many LA Law episodes, but two legal questions:

1. Is conceiled gun carry allowed in SA, and if yes, do you need a special gun license (over and above normal)

2. Might the courts take into account any special fight training in trying to figure out if the force used was too much?

Thanks guys! Sad to hear of the stories.