Are XCO riders the ultimate mountain bikers?

Rata Del Spruit

Bit of a subjective title, I know, but watching the XCO and having seen the courses at Cascades and even Thaba, XCO riders, to me, epitomize the sport of mountain biking. Super fit, gutsy and brilliant over the technical stuff. It's a great format to watch, probably the only mountain biking along with DH that I enjoy being a spectator at. If we had more events here in JHB I'd be tempted to buy an XC bike. Why isn't this discipline more popular in SA, especially given that it's an Olympic discipline?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of a subjective title, I know, but watching the XCO and having seen the courses at Cascades and even Thaba, XCO riders, to me, epitomize the sport of mountain biking. Super fit, gutsy and brilliant over the technical stuff. It's a great format to watch, probably the only mountain biking along with DH that I enjoy being a spectator at. If we had more events here in JHB I'd be tempted to buy an XC bike. Why isn't this discipline more popular in SA, especially given that it's an Olympic discipline?

I think it's growing here, but I think the biggest problem is awareness. Most people go into an LBS and are sold hardtails to go 'do mountain biking'AKA XCM.

If there was an XCE series...that I would do.

No doubt about it if you ask me :thumbup: . Good luck Phil, Rourke and all the other Saffas

Because staging an event takes a lot of work generating little income. Building that course is serious pt and you only have a small number of riders who can ride the course at one time. Much easier to throw 500 plus riders onto a dirt road marathon.

No doubt about it if you ask me :thumbup: . Good luck Phil, Rourke and all the other Saffas

mate of mine got a wildcard entry for the elite race. Tyron Bird. Riding a flash 29

I really wish that more people will summon a bit of guts and give XCO a go. It is sooo much fun.

And if more people did XCO you will get way less riders complaining about a little 30cm drop on the trail.

XCO also learns you to pass slower riders efficiently or allow faster riders to pass you in a quick and efficient way.

A big problem in XCM is gravel road riders complaining about very average obstacles and also beginners who are not able to allow faster riders to pass them after the routes have joined. A bit of XCO riding will prevent this.

XCO races last 1:30 to 2:00, so you can get away with less quantity training but rather high quality and intensity training. Perfect discipline for a time crunched and technical proficient rider.

Edited by Brian Fantana

mate of mine got a wildcard entry for the elite race. Tyron Bird. Riding a flash 29

Well good luck to him, and :thumbup: to Brian's post.

Because staging an event takes a lot of work generating little income. Building that course is serious pt and you only have a small number of riders who can ride the course at one time. Much easier to throw 500 plus riders onto a dirt road marathon.

If you build it, they will come :rolleyes: Surely it can't be more pt then managing a full 30, 50, 75km marathon race?

Saw somewhere that Phil isn't riding as he is ill not sure if it's true though good luck to all the saffas!

Johny Bravo, the xco races all (except world cup iirc) have a sports class. And if you are a student, join the university club so that you can race the.SA Student champs.