Strengthening the core!

epoh

Ha Ha Ha' date=' you guys can't even do 20 pushups....I'm disgusted. smiley23.gif   smiley2.gif

But hey, Epoh, you can ride a bikesmiley32.gif   

[/quote']

Oki, i didnt want to hijack beee's lunch box.. it looks too good! Btw. Beee you can now quit your day job and start taking lunch box orders from the hubbers smiley20.gif

Wonderwoman, yeah I know! it is quite embarrassing!!! Apparently Snapshot kicked our asses badly in that assessment smiley9.gif Do woman not naturally have stronger abs..? eheh please say yes smiley1.gif

I need to give the core some attention because at the moment all the power

comes from my legs and I can take some of the load off my legs if my

abs/back are stronger and then hopefully ride better and faster smiley2.gif

I have been looking at some pilates on the ball books/dvd's. It seems to be very effective and practical exercises you can do at home. No need to go to the gym.

Anyone got any advice/recommendations ?

epoh2006-09-06 09:05:25

found this a while ago http://cyclo-core.com/ - looks interesting enough,  but then again everyone is an expert.

chin-ups are great - it will work your abs, back, shoulders & even neck.  if you get stronger grab a dumbell between your legs.  grab the bar with your palms facing outwards i.e. away from your face with your thumbs on your side of the bar - very similar than resting on the tops of the bike bar during a long climb.  las keep your knees bent at about 45deg.

Epoh, I've got the cyclo-core dvd's as well and they are pretty good.

I also have an excercise ball but you need to know what you are doing otherwise you could just waste your time. You can get a lot of excercises straight off the net for the ball, which makes it quite cool and it can be fun, falling all over the place until you get it right. Can be embarrasssing in front of the physio as well. Just get one big enough for you as you are quite tall.

Sorry to burst your bubble, you boys are supposed to be the rough, tough ones but I think we just work harder at it smiley1.gif

I will have a chat to you next time we have a club ride or when I see you next.

I just want to stress that it is important, cause you can cause unwanted injuries by having weak core muscles, and that's just stupid & frustrating.

Enough lecturing...just letting you in on a bit of my experience. smiley9.gif As you know I did some doff things last year and am paying for it BIIIGGG Time. Don't want you to go through it at all.

hey epoh, try using the pilates ball with three particular exercises i used with a physio to straighten my hips and strengthen my core to get better posture and general strength:

1. lie on your back, put the ball btwn your feet and hold, then raise up as high as poss, then crunch up and grab ball with hands and take back down in hands to lying poss again, then reverse back to feet and thats one! do 5sets of 5 to start.

2. lie on back, take ball in feet again and raise up at top, rotate hips and ball to left to right, but not right to ground, just above, and then back and thats one! same 5sets of 5 to start.

3. lastly, lie on stomach on top of ball and start by just lifting alternate hand and leg at same time, and hold for 3secs. alternate and when have progressed you should be able to lie stretched out with arms and legs all up of ground!

enjoy! cause they are flipping hard!
no.one.knows2006-09-06 09:39:46

thanks for the advice Thumbs%20Up I will start rolling around on the ball and check out those dvd's.

Also recently started working on my core strength. Been at it for about 2 months and it's already making a difference. Yoga is great esp if your yoga teacher knows you are a cyclist and thinks it's fun to torment you all your shortened muscles and hits the little ones u neglect. I feel like a joke when at age 24 there are ladies twice (or more) my age who are more flexible! I do however have an excellent headstand now. My physio is a cyclist as well and he gave me loads of good exercises. Just find one of them useful people. 

Big%20smile

I don't particularly enjoy core strength training but do it even so..at least twice a week I use dumbells and do crunches/ab work etc...stretching very often as well...Hug

"DTThumbs%20Up"

epoh

ek het net goed daai dag gevoel ek dink nie ek sal dit vinnig weer reg kan kry nie.. aan die eenkant het ek my self in die voet geskiet want nou moet ek aan my core werk en die afgelope tyd kry ek nie tyd vir dit nie.