Cyclists turned away

jeremyd

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eeewwww, thats just gross!

will never be able to go to my local M&B again without wiping everything down

I was asked by my family not to do this anymore.  Having worked in a Wimpy and a Spur, I am a pain in the ass when it comes to a salt and pepper pot.

At a good Wimpy and Spur, you will open a salt pot and you will find a clean lid.  At a bad one, you will find the table full of salt.  Same with a pepper pot.

And when you use your sauces.  The bottle must be clean.  If you have a lazy manager and even worst lazy waiter staff, you will find your sauce bottles dirty and oily. 

And I do not mean on a Saturday morning 11H00 after about 350 settings.

And social media, word of mouth and the press can kill a restaurant.  The Wimpy I worked for had a homosexual as an owner.  The town being conservative decided to boycott the store for the owners open display of affection and sexual ideas towards the partner.  The business did not make two years. After the owners went belly up, the franchise was bought, and it is one of those places where the restaurant is filled with patrons every day.  People support the new owners and I know that 5 years down the line, Wimpy made the right choice with the new owners.

One thing is for sure.  Your business can thrive or it can die.  As a owner you must decide who you want there.  And to be honest.  If they ask R90-00 for two bottles of water they can keep their business.  But I know a few guys and girls whom will go there, just to show their friends that they can afford the R90-00 for two bottles of water.  At the end of the night they will walk out there with a bank account with a few rands less, but some people just don't care, and if the shops caters for them, it is okay.  I will not go there.  Why, I can't afford to go there and splash out on water.  and if they ask R90-00 for two bottles of water they will charge a crap load of money for my choice cut of meat as well.

And just a side note.  I understand in some cases that people don't want cyclists in their establishments.  Cyclists are rude, full of crap and always super demanding (like some religious groups) And I might as well add some of the worst tippers out there, and they are prone to short pay on a bill...

on the forum here, we sound like the Peoples Front of Judea.

I think you'll find that it's The Judean People's Front :-)

And just a side note.  I understand in some cases that people don't want cyclists in their establishments.  Cyclists are rude, full of crap and always super demanding (like some religious groups) And I might as well add some of the worst tippers out there, and they are prone to short pay on a bill...

Ouch!!

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb386/Marlinfan1995/burn_zps28a042ca.jpg

Having owned a small establishment for a while -this is how i see it.

Below are two seperate R100 notes. They can both be used to pay the rent.

Which one is a cyclists/runners/homosexual/african/jew/whitey/asian/man/woman

Seperating and thus excluding people has no place in a commercial environment.

post-18409-0-86699800-1426774552_thumb.jpgpost-18409-0-86699800-1426774552_thumb.jpg

Below are two seperate R100 notes. They can both be used to pay the rent.

Which one is a cyclists/runners/homosexual/african/jew/whitey/asian/man/woman

It's the same damn note Wayne :-)

Sjoe! Some okes and their shady business practices.

Rant on:

No no, lets not lump me into the group of people who dont see the bad press. I said that one person with Twitter is very dangerous, more dangerous than a dude who thinks he is the business because he has a Pino :ph34r: ... or those types who say stuff like "do you know who I am???"

What I AM saying is, is this really worth the bad press and the stink that it is being kicked up in the first place. I am also saying that we as "hubbers" take ourselves and "our" forum a little too seriously. Want to vent, Tweet them, go post on their FB wall etc.... At least then they have the opportunity to respond. But on the forum here, we sound like the Peoples Front of Judea. That's a Monty Python thing BTW, before I get called names.

"A bunch of cyclists moaning about them not being allowed into an upper class establishment in their smelly lycra", you understand how much of a crap the rest of the non-cylcing world gives about a problem like that? With current perceptions of how selfish and road hoggy cyclists are, that statement is probably a laughing matter in non-cyclists conversations.

A cyclist got turned away from a place that has a certain dress code. Thats it. If the waiter was rude about, well is that a reason to call a boycott on the whole of Remo's or should the waiters attitude be addressed with the management rather?

This is a real "upper middle class problem".

Lycra clad cyclists are not welcome at Remo's. Have your post ride coffee at the restaurant next door. Problem solved.

Rant off:

Edit: SAgecko, only underlined parts was in reply to you. Rest was just a rant :)

Exactly this. This is obviously a smart casual restaurant, and the other people going there are dressed accordingly and they obviously do not want do sit next too a smelly dirty cyclists showing his knob to the girl he is trying to impress with a Sunday morning brunch. You can not enter a semi formal restaurant bear foot, because being bear foot is not semi formal, neither is a cycling kit. They do not have a problem with cycling, the have a problem with the way you look(informal) and as an extra incentive, you are very unhygienic. That is just the vibe/tone of the restaurant.

Exactly this. They obviously do not want do sit next too a smelly dirty cyclists showing his knob to the girl he is trying to impress with a Sunday morning brunch.

I normally roll two Co2 bombs up with my spare tube into a salami sized package and tuck in the front of my bibs to stop the girls looking at my knob.

Exactly this. This is obviously a smart casual restaurant, and the other people going there are dressed accordingly and they obviously do not want do sit next too a smelly dirty cyclists showing his knob to the girl he is trying to impress with a Sunday morning brunch. You can not enter a semi formal restaurant bear foot, because being bear foot is not semi formal, neither is a cycling kit. They do not have a problem with cycling, the have a problem with the way you look(informal) and as an extra incentive, you are very unhygienic. That is just the vibe/tone of the restaurant.

I love to enter a formal restaurant bear foot, then I stop and growl really loud.

It's quite a grizzly sight .

As for showing my knob to some goose, it aint gonna happen, I have a rule, no knob sighting before touching ,it's just creepy man .

Same rules in Umhlanga. There they have a dedicated seating area for cyclists where you feel like you have some sort of disease and have to be separated from the more 'upmarket' customers. This is the reason we ride from Oscars in Hillcrest where you are welcomed with open arms.

If any restaurant owner is in any doubt has to how much business cyclists bring, go to Oscars in Hillcrest on a nice sunny Saturday morning - from about 8:30 to 11 and try and find a seat. They know to bring big jugs of iced water and glasses to the cyclists and often bring towels for you sit on. The waitresses are mostly young students and do pretty well considering the numbers they have to serve. Food is not bad either - Oscars bun is always a treat. Although we now have our post ride coffee at Bread Ahead just down the road (and pile on the weight ordering the jam donuts and cakes) as Oscars is too crowded with cyclists! Bread ahead also welcomes cyclists and has the chocolate or almond croissant with coffee special to match the Oscar bun.

Archived