Cyclists turned away

jeremyd

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always have a good laugh at how people here on the hub think that you have the numbers to boycott or in any way influence in numbers.

It's a little forum with a hand full of loyal supporters  

Interesting point.

But the thread is morphing into a discussion regarding the power of social media. There in lies the rub. A few loyal Hub folk - can make a big difference to the perception of a brand, through the use of social media. The fact that comments were deleted from the link wayne posted is a testament to the power of social media. They just went through a bad PR exercise.

Whilst it might not close the doors of a business it sure makes things harder. Simply because some people will think twice about going whether in cycling gear or not. That said, some people will go because cyclists are kicked out.

But to get back on point. Was there a notice of some sorts saying cyclists not welcome by way of a sign, or just "right of admission reserved"?

Its the uneducated who turn away cyclists for coffie/breakfast ...

Cyclist will keep coming back if its good, and keep generating repeat business.

If you turn them away in there cycling kit, why will they come back in their suits ? They will probably tell their friends to avoid ..

Get cycling friendly plastic chairs if you worried about dirt. Allocate a "cycling" friendly area. 

Job done, money in the bank, beers all round.

He turned guys dressed in lycra away , If you cycle and eat there any other day you'll be allowed in. No one cares that you were turned away as a cyclist , no body cares. 

No one is going to stand up in solidarity and not eat because your buddy was turned away looking and smelling like a knob

just seen this now - most posts on this thread have been in solidarity to being turned away.

just seen this now - most posts on this thread have been in solidarity to being turned away

Yes Slowbee but definitely not by "thousands"

At the end of the day even all the friends he tell will eventually be sitting in that very restaurant say " Hey , Isn't his the place Spinnekop was turned away from?" 

and have a good chuckle. 

You are assuming cyclist wear lycra ALL the time?

HAHAHAHAH. Good one.

Me personally.....I don't like to wine and dine with my voëlverklikker pants.

So I go home and put on some party pants and then go eat somewhere.

And I won't go to this place anymore.

Maybe I just see PR different.

Again....as you said before.......he has a right to choose his clientele. Good on him.

I'm clearly just a person who cycles and not a cyclist then because I fully respect any restaurant's decision not to have sweaty lycra at the tables.

I also know some people with purchasing power who cycle but are not defined by their bike and none of them are petty enough to boycott a restaurant.

Its the uneducated who turn away cyclists for coffie/breakfast ...

Cyclist will keep coming back if its good, and keep generating repeat business.

If you turn them away in there cycling kit, why will they come back in their suits ? They will probably tell their friends to avoid ..

Get cycling friendly plastic chairs if you worried about dirt. Allocate a "cycling" friendly area. 

Job done, money in the bank, beers all round.

Or maybe he does not want to have plastic chairs in his establishment, maybe it doesnt go with his Brand Strategy.

It continually astounds me that we DEMAND to tell people how to run their business without undertanding the reasons behind some decisions and costing models; from LBS service costs, costs of bike washes, what we get charged for custom parts and especially event entry fees lately.

You know what we CAN do, is get over ourselves and simply support people who ARE cyclist friendly, support the people who price things that you find acceptable.

For all we know, its this attitude of we DEMAND that has pissed this owner off or maybe its part of the franchise corporate brand guidelines.

So in summary, find a place that welcomes cyclists and support them, they deserve your business.

ps: it doesnt matter how rich your tjommies are, we all pay pay the same amount for a coffee. A poor person with lots of free time and Twitter can cause more trouble than a rich oke.

At the end of the day even all the friends he tell will eventually be sitting in that very restaurant say " Hey , Isn't his the place Spinnekop was turned away from?" 

and have a good chuckle. 

point taken and in summary you are saying that you pitch up with your bike get turned away, tell your mates, but because they and you are no longer in cycling gear you will still walk in and spend money at the establishment.

Edit: you okes sure have a funny way of saying - that cyclists should not have an expectation of being allowed to every restaurant AND if said place does not want to allow cyclists in then it is there choice and fits their business model.

So.......hand full......lets say 7.

I personally know about 30 hubbers IN PERSON ( personally means in person btw).  Shook their hand, know how and where they ride.

Around 10 of them earn....and I am guessing.....R1m plus a year.

5 of them are execs managing BIG corporate banks and business'

So......take your statistical "bad experience tells 7 people about it"

How good is your maths?

Better still.....

Take just ONE guy I know.  1000 people working under him?  Control budget of his firm of around R5bil?

What do you think will a pissed of guy like that do with his lunch money?

Not be bothered by his useless friend trying to convince him not to go to some little place he was kicked out of. Hopefully a guy like that has more pressing issues at hand

In the end it takes just ONE guy to make a difference.

But maybe you are right.......the Hub has no numbers......

And just maybe some people are laughing at people that think the cycling community called TheHub is small.....

I see nothing wrong with their stance. As long their attitude and mannerism towards said cyclists is professional, I see no problem with them setting a particular dress code. I like eating there and it's nice to know I won't be sitting on a chair smeared in bum cream or handle a salt and pepper dispenser that is covered in sweat and dirt.

I see nothing wrong with their stance. As long their attitude and mannerism towards said cyclists is professional, I see no problem with them setting a particular dress code. I like eating there and it's nice to know I won't be sitting on a chair smeared in bum cream or handle a salt and pepper dispenser that is covered in sweat and dirt.

eeewwww, thats just gross!

will never be able to go to my local M&B again without wiping everything down

Awesome!

I am going to the Caltex - who much UNLEADED do you guys think we'll need?

As much as you can bring, I will need it to take those Lambretta's home .

and have a good chuckle. 

You are assuming I have friends?

Archived