Review: Smoove Chain Lubricant

Batmanza

A lubricants debate is like 26 vs 29 or ANC vs EFF...

I only care that it's quiet and cleans easily when I clean the bike after a ride, smoove still builds up a thick gunk like squirt and that's equivalent to a blob per link. Not being heavy handed with the stuff at all.

I'm an oil fan, it may go black and look siff but it does the job well with no thick buildup over time.

I've used it on 3 rides so far, oil is a lot cheaper

That's my 3c worth

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R1100 per liter of Smoove Lube, what's in there exactly that motivates what appears to be absolutely ridiculous pricing? (Apart from the fact that most of the other bicycle lube manufacturers price like that).

We don't use it by the liter though skylark, heck I am sure the 100ml bottle will last me six months. Now for the convenience of a clean drivetrain, cleaner hands after wrenching and washing the bike and the nice applicator bottle it's worth it for me.

We don't use it by the liter though skylark, heck I am sure the 100ml bottle will last me six months. Now for the convenience of a clean drivetrain, cleaner hands after wrenching and washing the bike and the nice applicator bottle it's worth it for me.

But the liter price illustrates what a rip off it is, even the most expensive 100% synthetic high performance engine oils don't even come close to R1100 per liter. 100ml is just a decant into a container that costs max R5 incl the sticker.

Just from an interest perspective, what could possibly be in the lube that makes it so expensive?

But the liter price illustrates what a rip off it is, even the most expensive 100% synthetic high performance engine oils don't even come close to R1100 per liter. 100ml is just a decant into a container that costs max R5 incl the sticker.

Just from an interest perspective, what could possibly be in the lube that makes it so expensive?

Rip off to you maybe, for me it's a bargain. Why?

It's lasts 90km on my mtb without a squeak

Makes the drivetrain last just as long as oil based lubes...have my own data to back this up

It's clean in the sense that my frame isn't full of black splatters and the cassettes a black oil mess taking more effort to clean, same for cassette and rings

It available everywhere, comes in its own little bottle and lasts me 6 months

Here is what is in it... Convenience...that's all

I think it's the same ingredient that makes all of our cycle gear expensive - sport cycling is a luxury and attracts premium pricing. Think of what you pay per tyre for your bike and what the same rand amount would buy you at speedys for a car tyre. For the same amount (or less) you can get a car tyre that lasts 50 times more km than your bike tyre.

Unfortunately we're facing the same problem as golfers and their R30 per ball headaches.

Personally.....I have gone back to Squirt. While I certainly think it works a treat on the lube end of things (and lasts longer) cleaning the chain was just a pain in the ass and not worth it

Guest CHRIS001

Cmc service centre. This product is by far the best, we only use it in our work shop thumbs up to Ruaan.

any know how it compares to RockNRoll chain lube?

I love Rock 'n a Roll Gold. Ran out and can't find any. Tried Smoove last 2 weeks and been impressed. Runs really smooth and quiet. Doesn't keep chain as clean as RnR, but way better than other wax lubes I've tried.

Got it at Solomon's Woodmead. Finish Line also stocks.

I love Rock 'n a Roll Gold. Ran out and can't find any. Tried Smoove last 2 weeks and been impressed. Runs really smooth and quiet. Doesn't keep chain as clean as RnR, but way better than other wax lubes I've tried.

Got it at Solomon's Woodmead. Finish Line also stocks.

Exactly what happened to me...I also love R&R, but the blue...but such a mission to find, to the point where if I find it, I will buy one, but smoove will be the staple in my garage now

Converted a couple weeks back.... Never tried anything so good. Long-lasting. Effortless. An Excellent Product!!!

Edited by HAKAHANA TRAILS

Saw it on my travels today, looks good, but would love to see it in a 250ml, or more bottle.

Will try it when my purple extreme is finished.

What makes Smoove any different from/better than any other oil-based lube ?(I don't consider solvent-wax blends to be lubes)

Anybody have some facts? I'm interested in facts, not opinions of recent converts. Seriously.

Guest notmyname

I used it(as per the instruction)s this morning at breedts. Worked sweet all morning.

What makes Smoove any different from/better than any other oil-based lube ?

Seriously.

I have found it the best value for money lube since my LBS gave me a bottle for free some time ago.