519 members have voted

1. 1. Your home languange

• Afrikaans
    • English
    • Xhosa
    • Sotho
    • Zulu
    • Other

The level of english that gets typed on this forum by the previously dutchadvantaged folk is of a decent level.

There is another forum that I no longer participate in, and sometimes I could not make out what the poster was trying to convey, either afrikaans or english.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While at school I worked as an usher at a cinema.

There was this older Afrikaans boy who was school drop out that would always want to bully the younger guys, so we ended up "wrestling" in the staff room often.

Anyway he liked calling the English guys "sout pielle (SP)" .... he then proceeded to tell us that it was because we have on leg in England and one leg in South Africa with our, you guessed it, "piel" in the sea.

My response to him was "well no wonder you are so jealous knowing just how long our P3n1s is then" ... then led to a new round of "wrestling"

I have digressed, Afrikaans is a lovely language if not taken to it's lowest slang form, but kept clean and fluid..... just so many ways to describe somethings.

i is from a dutchie dad

a english mom

married a dutchie

my one daughter is english

my other daughter is a dutchie

what for can and like this to make for me????? :eek:

Dip-confoesed-lik-a-white-smartie

Depends in where in SA.. over here in the platteland. . ENG folk have no option but to be able to communicate in Afr, whereas some of the afr people battle with Eng.

Not in this platteland hey, even the afrikaners have to speak english, I think it's one of the few areas where the english farmers far outnumber the afrikaans.

Honest Question....

Do the Afrikaans folks on the hub, find the Term "Dutchman" offensive?

No...Ek bedoel nee.

I have French blood so....Dutchman doesn't bother me at all.

Op die ou einde van die dag is dit juis wat ons almal proudly south African maak.

My dads side of the family is of french hugenot descent - proper afrikaans surname...ancestors made their way from the cape to paarl to molteno and eventually the last 3 generations have been in Natal.....somewhere along the way between molteno and natal our mother tongue must have changed from afrikaans to english because neither my dad nor I can barely speak a word

Not in this platteland hey, even the afrikaners have to speak english, I think it's one of the few areas where the english farmers far outnumber the afrikaans.

I had a very hard time when I first moved to the EC, as even the Ooms at the local agricultural show spoke only English.

problem was at that stage I could only say 3 english words

1. Double

2. Brandy

3. Coke

I had a very hard time when I first moved to the EC, as even the Ooms at the local agricultural show spoke only English.

1. Double

2. Brandy

3. Coke

Sorry buddy, There is NO english translation for "double brandy and coke"

1. Double

2. Brandy

3. Coke

And that's all you need

edit, I had the same problem when I lived in the WC platteland- Riviersonderend, even the English ooms spoke english with an afrikaans accent

Edited by deanbean

1. Double

2. Brandy

3. Coke

Sorry buddy, There is NO english translation for "double brandy and coke"

And that's all you need

edit, I had the same problem when I lived in the WC platteland- Riviersonderend, even the English ooms spoke english with an afrikaans accent

translated

I always thought it was a minimum twee fingers brannewyn of meer type of thing ........... :ph34r:

Edited by Hairy

We speak English at home, but my boys are in an Afr school (we have limites schooling options) my son's Afr teacher calls him a soutie..shame my kid didn't even know what it meant.. so I explained to him.. told him he should call his Afr teacher a Rockspider lol and see what the teacher says ha ha ha

We speak English at home, but my boys are in an Afr school (we have limites schooling options) my son's Afr teacher calls him a soutie..shame my kid didn't even know what it meant.. so I explained to him.. told him he should call his Afr teacher a Rockspider lol and see what the teacher says ha ha ha

Damned right, see how she likes it.

What about Jabberwocky?

Twas bryllyg, and ye slythy toves

Did gyre and gymble in ye wabe:

All mimsy were ye borogoves;

And ye mome raths outgrabe.

Damned right, see how she likes it.

See how he likes it.. lol.. all in good spirit though. . It doesn't bug him or me or anyone. Suspect Rockspider may nit go down well.