PWC Bridges Removed

Hot_Fuzz1

So I have noticed driving past the PWC bike park for a while now that their bridges were removed...

This to me was rather disappointing as these were the main reason I rode at the park.

I decided to mail them this morning an enqire why these were removed and their responce was not a real surprise.

Kids and Begginers who had very little or NO technical riding skill had been falling off and getting hurt. (This on BLACK Diamond sections) Not treating these obsticles with respect.

Now this to me is still not fair to those of us who are more that accomplished at riding these obsticles. We now have to resort to riding the kiddie areas and dealing with upset parents and slower riders?

I have nothing against begginers looking to up thier skill levels as I often give skills class's at PWC. But now there is nothing for more experienced riders to test their skills on anymore.

The fact that parents allow their kids to "go mad" in a safe bike park is irrisposible as they are aware of the dangers. Bike parks create Green, Blue and Black routes for a reason. And riding at such parks are at your own risk. So I feel it unfair to PWC that they are losing clients for other clients mistakes.

I myself have been injured after falling at the park, needing stitches, but I still came back and rode as MTB is a High Risk sport and its not the parks fault for my mistakes.

In conclusion: I would like to request fellow readers who enjoyed the challenge of riding the bridges and Black Diamond sections to give me some constructive feedback and their views on the subject. Also I would like begginers to give me their thoughts of the park.

I will be riding there tomorrow morning and giving the park back some feedback on this subject.

We live in a day and age where people are. Hypersensitive towards safety. Nothing is wrong with being safe. . But like you said this mountainbiking. If you are afraid of crashing ride a tricycle in circles in your yard

Sounds like we are well and truly on our way to being a "nanny" society now in the MTB world as well !!

the trails in the park are way to short! put the bridges in but make them safe, they left very little room for error on those things.

PWC is a business dealing with the public, I would guess that there are problems with insurance, and accidents can be very costly.

Disclaimers and indemnities dont get around the whole of this problem & so better to remove the offending articles.

If you like technical riding rather go ride Van Gaalens, Kings Kloof, Groenkloof / Fountains, Thaba or Hakahana.

Edited by d@vid

I also miss those bridges, but I think the placement of the trail with them also wasn't ideal for safety.

As it was an optional branch from a green trail, beginners could be riding down what they thought was an easy trail and see an interesting optional piece, while possibly missing the black diamond sign, or just being curious.

I think if the same kind of bridges were put up as an option on Zombie Birdhouse for example, it may be a different story.

is this the bridges that go overhead - or some other ones.

i must admit the lax way people ride there sometimes surprise me, guys riding without helmets and their slops, kids riding along and then randomly stopping on bridges .. lots of crying kids

as someone who's a bangbroek myself, i've noticed the green route at Modders as well, some of the drops / dips have been smoothed out - and it's unfortunate cause i remember when i first started i would get off and walk, and now the smile on my face when i ride things I used to walk is awesome but then i go pass sections and think, hey where'd that dip go ...

'N Ruk terug moes mens 'n vrywaringsform teken en iemand bo 18 moes teken dat die persoon die park op eie risiko betree. Ek dink ook dit is baie onregverdig dat die bruggie (hulle voel al hoe kleiner soos jou vaardighede beter word) verwyder het. Nie almal kan Van Gaalen en Giba toe ry om 40/50km se roetes te gaan ry nie... As jy die risiko vat en die guts het om sulke goed te doen moet jy nie kla as jy seer kry nie.

Ek het laas Maandag vir die eerste keer gaan downhill ry by Thaba Trails en by daai groot Jumps het ek BITTER hard geval, ek het nie gaan kla by die mense dat ek seer gekry het nie, ek het my fiets opgetel en hom weer gedoen om hom te bemeester.

'N Baan moet nie makliker gemaak word om by jou vaardighede te pas nie, jy moet jou vaardighede verbeter en dan die baan gaan ry!

'N Ruk terug moes mens 'n vrywaringsform teken en iemand bo 18 moes teken dat die persoon die park op eie risiko betree. Ek dink ook dit is baie onregverdig dat die bruggie (hulle voel al hoe kleiner soos jou vaardighede beter word) verwyder het. Nie almal kan Van Gaalen en Giba toe ry om 40/50km se roetes te gaan ry nie... As jy die risiko vat en die guts het om sulke goed te doen moet jy nie kla as jy seer kry nie.

Ek het laas Maandag vir die eerste keer gaan downhill ry by Thaba Trails en by daai groot Jumps het ek BITTER hard geval, ek het nie gaan kla by die mense dat ek seer gekry het nie, ek het my fiets opgetel en hom weer gedoen om hom te bemeester.

'N Baan moet nie makliker gemaak word om by jou vaardighede te pas nie, jy moet jou vaardighede verbeter en dan die baan gaan ry!

Like Joe said, those indemnity things you sign aren't bullet proof, and the park will see itself in court sooner rather than later.

And interesting you bring up a trail out of town. I was wondering do they make you sign an indemnity? I am not sure if I signed something the last time I rode at Modders.

Like Joe said, those indemnity things you sign aren't bullet proof, and the park will see itself in court sooner rather than later.

And interesting you bring up a trail out of town. I was wondering do they make you sign an indemnity? I am not sure if I signed something the last time I rode at Modders.

Fair enough. There are always loopholes, especially when someone gets hurt...

If you like technical riding rather go ride Van Gaalens, Kings Kloof, Groenkloof / Fountains, Thaba or Hakahana.

It's a different kind of technical though. PWC is supposed to be "bike park". The others are just technical trails.

Is it still even PWC? And have the trails received any maintenance at all??

Putting the bridge entrance on a black route makes a lot of sense. Rollercoaster was one of my favourite trails there.

Is it still even PWC? And have the trails received any maintenance at all??

Putting the bridge entrance on a black route makes a lot of sense. Rollercoaster was one of my favourite trails there.

I wonder if PWC know about this? I think they are sponsering the park, they should know about this and how we as riders feel about the park at this moment?