Where to go from Elixir 5's?

T-Bob

Guest Omega Man

And they are mucho sexy.... :thumbup:

Yeah. Likey. If I wasn't addicted to Hopes those would be on the bike for sure.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought by now Admin would have programmed the 'ub that if a thread is created related to Avid/Elixir that it would automatically suggest Shimano brakes and lock it to reduce clutter :ph34r:

I have ridden on most Avid brakes, including Elixer 5's and Elixer CR's.

Now I have Shimano Alivio brakes that came standard on my Trance, and they are better, with the same size discs.

You could go with Deore brakes too, as they also work brilliantly.

I have Elixer 7 Trails, riding with them for over a year now trouble free. Awesome stopping power and modulation. Also the levers kick ass and Matchmakers are a genius system. Less clutter, the Deore, SLX and XT levers are bulky.......

Just saying :ph34r:

Have the Elixir 5's ever failed you??

If not just get the kit and service them yourself - yes can be done!

I love it when guys trash Avids and sell them but they want ten arms and legs for them.

Surely if they are that bad you should almost give them away.

Levers and calipers are definitely available separately for Shimano brakes. Yes, even locally.

I have the Deore 615's and they are amazing, cheap, powerful, reliable, quiet, easy to bleed, pads are cheap. I run 180mm rotors and I can lock either wheel at will, at any speed, but with huge amounts of modulation.

And for less than R1500 for the set you can't go wrong.

Have the Elixir 5's ever failed you??

If not just get the kit and service them yourself - yes can be done!

Not failed but starting to be 'odd'. I've not had a lot of issues with them as a day to day brake but it's time for a service on them, piston replacements etc and I'm thinking that money could be put towards a new pair.

I used to mechanic as a job back in the day and I know I should do it all myself but truthfully, I've done my time on the tools if I don't really, really need to. Life is so hectic at the moment that I'd rather pay a guy to sort it all out and I can use that time in another way (wife, daughter, actually riding, earning coin etc). I know it sounds slack but when I balance out what my hours are worth in coin and time vs what I'm paying my mechanic for the service... I'm dropping it at his house!

So simple maths is:

- Service Kits (LBS): R250 per lever and R250 per calliper = R1000

- Bleed (LBS): R90

- Service and rebuild via my guy (LBS wouldn't do it: "we just send them away and that starts at R500 per per brake"): R180 per brake for full strip, rebuild and replace all seals and pistons:

- Extras: New Pads? Dot 5?

Best case R1400 I'd guess. Might have to just replace and install myself.

I currently have elixer3 on my bike, looking to go slx, but my brake lever and x7 shifters are on the same clamp, where can i get separate clamps for the shifters and brake levers?

So simple maths is:

- Service Kits (LBS): R250 per lever and R250 per calliper = R1000

- Bleed (LBS): R90

- Service and rebuild via my guy (LBS wouldn't do it: "we just send them away and that starts at R500 per per brake"): R180 per brake for full strip, rebuild and replace all seals and pistons:

- Extras: New Pads? Dot 5?

Best case R1400 I'd guess. Might have to just replace and install myself.

If new pads, add another 400 to that. You may as well buy brand new.

If new pads, add another 400 to that. You may as well buy brand new.

100%.

Think I'm getting a group feeling towards Shimano then! Now need to find some deals.

I have some saints for You? R2500 incl. rotors?