Tokai riding experience 7/5/14 - funny/dangerous observations

Headshot

We headed up just after 10 am. The place was crawling - the usual mix, but I only noticed the piles of beginners - HT, tackies, cage type flats and t-shirts with helmets on at weird angles. I guess we all started out like that, but I like to think that we also tried to learn as we went along.

Some of the dangerous and bizarre behaviour I saw:

1. People stopping dead in front of the start of the next trail down - completely oblivious to the fact that a faster rider might come up behind them.
  2. The guy who did just that to me because he hadn't noticed I'd been on his tail for the last 100m - maybe he was deaf.
  3. The woman texting on the road junction between dh2 and 3 ( as reported to me)
  4. The chap who despite being advised that a faster rider was about to come down the berm at Vasbyt at the last minute trundled in on said riders line causing a nasty head shot (not me), I just saw the injuries and heard the tale back in the car park)
  5. People with bike/people issues stopping on the trail and leaving bikes and their uninjured bodies on the trails.

Signage will help but it needs to be legible decent signs. The old font and graphics must not be used - too small to read properly, too little information. Pics of cyclists going up a hill on a DH sign is confusing etc...

Rider education - signs will help again and may keep some of the real newbs off the steeper trickier trails before they are ready.

Maybe Tokai MTB could organise skills clinics - just a half hour for beginners in the car park. Most beginners don't even know how to brake properly. The chap who stopped in front of me on Mamba had no clue that his front brake was his primary stopper. Situational awareness would also be a good lesson to teach.

I am sure people would volunteer to give these classes if they were organised properly.

As it is people with absolutely no experience are let loose on some fast and tricky trails (for them) without any training or list of do's and don'ts.

What say you?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On days like yesterday the chaos happens mostly because people don't know any better. Signage is one way of educating people but most beginners wouldn't even bother to educate themselves. Deon has spent years getting those trail signs approved and unfortunately they can't change because they are to SANParks rigid specifications. I agree that a big sign at the start of the trail, dictating rules and ettiquette would help.

Skills clinics are a great idea but don't think there are many people willing to do it for free (I do educate iRide Africa level 1 skills course riders about trail etiquette and awareness).

The same kind of chaos happen on busy days in ski slopes and the best line of defence as a seasoned rider is for YOU to slow down and be aware of the newbies. They are so busy concentrating and trying to stay on their bike that all their senses are focussed inwards and not towards other riders and common sense tends to go out the window!

Don't forget that everyone is just trying to have a good day out and we all started out the same way and learn as we go-the best thing we can do as seasoned riders, is to just chill out and slow down when the numbers get high-it's easy for us to pedal up and redo a section if another rider gets in our way, but for a beginner, just the thought of pedalling up that hill AGAIN, is exhausting, let alon actually doing it.

Edited by iRide

the best thing we can do as seasoned riders, is to just chill out and slow down when the numbers get high-it's easy for us to pedal up and redo a section if another rider gets in our way, but for a beginner, just the thought of pedalling up that hill AGAIN, is exhausting, let alon actually doing it.

Yep, there is no point in getting frustrated or trying to nail a Strava PR on busy days. I redid several sections on Vasbyt yesterday as a result of traffic, and tried to be as friendly to the beginners as I could be.

I have to admit though I got a bit annoyed at the clearly-not-beginner race snakes winding their way up the densely bushed parts of Vasbyt and not even acknowledging me or apologising as I slid off the trail and into the brush dodging them.

Agreed - its all about fun and I certainly had a tonne of that. The other solution is of course to pick your times - later in the afternoon is always less crowded.

The crash I referred to happened despite repeated, loud verbal warnings by the descending rider.

On the skills issue, I am sure that a few people would be happy to give a skills course for 30 mins in the car park or just beyond. Nothing serious, just braking, awareness and some basic riding skills. A course could be devised beforehand to cover the essentials.

Edited by Headshot

Agreed - its all about fun and I certainly had a tonne of that. The other solution is of course to pick your times - later in the afternoon is always less crowded.

The crash I referred to happened despite repeated, loud verbal warnings by the descending rider.

On the skills issue, I am sure that a few people would be happy to give a skills course for 30 mins in the car park or just beyond. Nothing serious, just braking, awareness and some basic riding skills. A course could be devised beforehand to cover the essentials.

Don't joke about the guys in front possibly being deaf. I was frustrated the other day that a rider wouldn't get out of my way on the trail, turned out he actually was deaf. He apologised and and let me know he was deaf (with hand signals) when he stopped at an obstacle and I went passed.

I felt really bad for getting annoyed.

My preferred response to the above offense is to say (loudly): "Don't mention it. Oh wait, you didn't" The 2nd option is of course to allow the other guy to visit the bushes.

Yesterday morning I advised someone that did not look like a beginner who was coming right up the top of vasbyt, slowly around that first berm. Luckily I was one of those that stopped at the beginning of the trail and did not just rail it down around that there else I would have gone straight through him as there is no where to dodge.

When I told him about it he puled the earphones out of his ears and said he didn't know. I told him there's a sign at the bottom showing no cycling up and his defense was that it wasn't pointed in his direction.

Yesterday morning I advised someone that did not look like a beginner who was coming right up the top of vasbyt, slowly around that first berm. Luckily I was one of those that stopped at the beginning of the trail and did not just rail it down around that there else I would have gone straight through him as there is no where to dodge.

When I told him about it he puled the earphones out of his ears and said he didn't know. I told him there's a sign at the bottom showing no cycling up and his defense was that it wasn't pointed in his direction.

A sure quick way to a disaster on a busy trail

This will happen anywhere where it is busy. Wether it is newbies or people that have been doing it for a long time. However my biggest urk and happens in our group also are peeps that ride with headphones.

Dan is right - beginners are focused on staying on their bikes and don't look and listen the way they should. The chap I mentioned had perfect hearing unless he was reading my lips when I gave him some braking tips

hehe, i spotted this lot while i was running down to level 1. glad i wasnt on any singletrack

Next time drive out to the Boland for the morning.

We have Welvanpas in Wellington and the lovely new singletrack at Rhebokskloof.

Afterwards you can go to Under Oaks for amazing pizza and chilled Sauvignon Blanc!

Yep, there is no point in getting frustrated or trying to nail a Strava PR on busy days. I redid several sections on Vasbyt yesterday as a result of traffic, and tried to be as friendly to the beginners as I could be.

I have to admit though I got a bit annoyed at the clearly-not-beginner race snakes winding their way up the densely bushed parts of Vasbyt and not even acknowledging me or apologising as I slid off the trail and into the brush dodging them.

The solution is to ride at Welvanpas on public holidays.One of the best places to ride if you are looking for single track and technical sections.

This will happen anywhere where it is busy. Wether it is newbies or people that have been doing it for a long time. However my biggest urk and happens in our group also are peeps that ride with headphones.

Hope thats not me.... :oops: i ride with headphones, but nothing plays... its actually only if i get a phone call then i don have to take my phone outv my backpack. :ph34r: