Wheels 101

Uni

If the bike is upside down, and I spin the front wheel, goes on for ages and seems fine. Back wheel however seems to bob up and down on vertical axis and while does spin freely doesn't do so for long. Problemo?

bobbing may be the tire. Not spinning may be that bearings are too tight or overly greased

ps don't turn your bike upside down not good for your fork and brakes

bobbing may be the tire. Not spinning may be that bearings are too tight or overly greased

If I turn it over just to put some chain lube after a wash .. Don't have a work stand thingie?

Should I be concerned about the tire? What should I check?

There was a thread the other day about how true should a wheel be.

My wheels are 100% true until I fit a tire, nothing you can do about it although it irritates my cdo, same reason they balance your car tires.

When re lubeing lean the back wheel against something (at an angle) to enable you to turn the crank and relube

I hang my bikes by the front wheel? Any issue with this?

No. None. And no problem sticking them upside down either. It's a myth, and a silly one at that. In fact, sometimes it's better stored upside down as the oil in the forks will leech to the top of the fork lowers, re-lubing the fork wipers, which often dry out or don't get enough oil.

As for the brakes - sealed system. Only a problem if there's air in the system, and then it's an air leakage problem, not an upside down bike problem.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

If I turn it over just to put some chain lube after a wash .. Don't have a work stand thingie?

Should I be concerned about the tire? What should I check?

Only be concerned if there's a bubble in the tyre. If it's just an alignment issue, it may just be that it became unseated.

Have you recently had to change a tube? May be that the bead hasn't seated properly, causing one segment of the tire to be lower than the rest, and whammo - there's your bob.

As for the binding - Disc brakes, right? It's either rubbing on the rotors (if you hear a brushing sound, it's that) or, depending on the hubs you have, the cones may be too tight (if they're Shimano) which isn't allowing them to spin as freely as they could be. I doubt there's too much grease in teh hubs, as Wyatt knows what he's doing...

Some types of brakes will give you hassles. Forks no problem. If it leaks when you turn it upside down it's poked already...

I know my front brake has a little air in the system and so long as I keep the rubber side down all is fine - if I turn the bike upside down the front brake will be spongy for the next few pulls of the brake and then it comes right. Yes, I know I need to get it bled but it's one of those things that you always seem to forget about as it still works.

Some types of brakes will give you hassles. Forks no problem. If it leaks when you turn it upside down it's poked already...

:w00t: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :w00t:

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Guess where I am. Yep - gutter city!