The Munga MTB Race

MrFine

ok slight correction - frontpage of website - has updated to show that it is sort of on. the Faq is outdated and refers to last year's cancelled race, i only checked this now since Alex is kind of in the news doing Tourdivide. so don't expect any answers in the next 10 days.

https://themunga.com/the-race- solo unsupported talks of R50k prizemoney for winner in mens,womens/development cats. no talk of entry fee

https://themunga.com/faqstill $10k entry, but refers to canned 2014 race, hence my confusion.

So, I spend $10,000 to enter and if I win (I won't, but hypothetically) I get the equivalent of about $4,000... 

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I spend $10,000 to enter and if I win (I won't, but hypothetically) I get the equivalent of about $4,000... 

I know, my mistake! there's no talk of entry fee for the 2015 event. they need to clean up the website if they want people to take it seriously.

I know, my mistake! there's no talk of entry fee for the 2015 event. they need to clean up the website if they want people to take it seriously.

It was a very interesting idea, but I think they have killed it with how it has been handled

Alex is currently in USA racing the Tour Divide. I am sure that he will sort all of this out on his return

snip snip -  i only checked this now since Alex is kind of in the news doing Tourdivide. so don't expect any answers in the next 10 days.

Alex is currently in USA racing the Tour Divide. I am sure that he will sort all of this out on his return

Yep, Shebeen did mention that yesterday.

I think the idea was way to ambitious to start with... 

Yes I'm very conflicted about this one - you don't want to knock someone for being ambitious &thinking big and I think the race could work.

But the R100K entry fee was just ridiculous, and the whole lucky draw stokvel thing - bad idea...

But best of luck to the organisers - hope they can pull off the alternate version of the Munga.

• 4 weeks later...

um, updates on the site are here

After much deliberation we have decided to open up registrations, even though we have not found a title sponsor. Why? Because people want a race. All of you, the riders, the community, the bystanders and fans that have been excited by a novel format and the promise of something different want the Munga to happen. So this is what we are going to do:

Our dilemma was not a simple one. Our vision is to still put on a race that gives away $1 Million, but, with the drastic decline of the Rand, there is a very real chance that we don't find one this year and run the risk of the Munga been postponed again. So, we will continue to work to that end.

Also, the majority of our entrants last year were quite honest about the fact that they were not racing for the money, but were rather intrigued and excited by the format. So, the format will stay exactly the same, and the race will run on the same dates, but there will be a much smaller prize purse.

Also, we have significantly reduced the entry fee making the prospect of racing the Munga more affordable. Much has been said in the last six months and we have listened. Above all, people want the race to go on. And that's exactly whats going to happen. So, what are you waiting for? Get your entry in!

Being tough is not a right or a privilege. Its a choice.

I had the privilege of having breakfast with Alex, what a great and humble guy!! (PS: and I got to take his fully loaded bike for a spin around the block. (that's his bike on the web site)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

there's some movement happening behind the scenes:

So, as we get closer to opening up registrations, I can tell you some exciting news! Exxaro have come on board as our prize money sponsor. They are putting up R150 000 to be split up as follows: R50 000 each for three categories, Male, Female and Development. So, the first male gets R30 000. The second male gets R15 000 and the third male gets R5000. The same for the first three females and the same for the first three development riders. Thank you Exxaro! The ball is rolling..

And they have slashed the entry fee to match :P should only cost 2k to enter now

i have it on good authority that it will be a little bit more than that, but with an early bird discount for those who jump quickly.