Jonkershoek Closure

trailmansam

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So because Scott sponsored the coffee shop, and put up signs that clearly make no claim to have anything to do with the trails, at all, and Spaz, a competing bike brand, is involved with the trail maintenance doesn't like this, you guys are pulling out? And causing the trails to go into a state of disrepair?

Yes, the sign on the gate house could do with a re-design, and IS as subtle as a paving stone. But it does not refer to teh trails in any way, shape or form.

The fact that Bobby Behan is at the centre of all of this (Spaz global marketing guy) speaks volumes - I'd assert that there is TONS of sponsor regret at not having taken the chance to do what Scott are doing with the coffee shop...

There should be no signage on the gate house though ... the gate house is not a part of the shop.

Slight copy and paste here from one of my comments on another forum ... " I still have not recovered from the pure lack of scale and aesthetics applied on that signage design ... for heavens sake, I thought nothing could ever get worse than the old - - - - (Club name withheld) green tops, but that signage takes the cake.

The first thing that springs to mind looking at the signage is the question of "do they sell fish and chips at the cafe?"

Now as noted in one of the previous posts, did they do a signage design and application with the local authority ....

As usual friday storm in a teacup.Solution simple.Scott/Specialized kiss.makeup,hold hands and build us all a great bike park together.

Not a single cent!

yeah, but they're not claiming they do, are they? The signs have no reference to the trails at all, and as far as the title of Jonkershoek Cafe (and the Scott sponsorship goes) Jonkershoek is a regional area, and therefore not restricted to the forest or trails.

It's the funders' wish to remain brand-free in the trail centre itself, is it not?

There should be no signage on the gate house though ... the gate house is not a part of the shop.

Slight copy and paste here from one of my comments on another forum ... " I still have not recovered from the pure lack of scale and aesthetics applied on that signage design ... for heavens sake, I thought nothing could ever get worse than the old - - - - (Club name withheld) green tops, but that signage takes the cake.

The first thing that springs to mind looking at the signage is the question of "do they sell fish and chips at the cafe?"

Now as noted in one of the previous posts, did they do a signage design and application with the local authority ....

Agree with you there! they could have done something more in keeping with the architecture and surroundings....even a dumb diver like me can see that! The result of shortcuts in administrative process?

yeah, but they're not claiming they do, are they? The signs have no reference to the trails at all, and as far as the title of Jonkershoek Cafe (and the Scott sponsorship goes) Jonkershoek is a regional area, and therefore not restricted to the forest or trails.

It's the funders' wish to remain brand-free in the trail centre itself, is it not?

Exacertery!

now THAT is a point. That would be up to Cape Pine to decide though.

Have you approached them to ask them to revise their decision on the positioning of that sign?

now THAT is a point. That would be up to Cape Pine to decide though.

Have you approached them to ask them to revise their decision on the positioning of that sign?

Cape Pine would have a say considered and then the local authority too....next thing there is flashing neon signage up who knows what next.

So next time you go there, just close your eyes until you get passed the gate, you won't see the advertising...then open them up once you are inside and you will realise that you are in one of the most beautiful parts of SA if not the world, you're on your bike and a great day is ahead of you! Then after blasting up and down the best trails in SA, don't look back when you leave the gate! Easy. Do the same if you a volunteer with a spade! You doing it for the love of the sport both ways!

Another bike brand can erect an arch over the entrance (in red) with flashing lights and a motion detector to pic up riders who cross below and then blast out "stairway to heaven" when people pass .... a small advertorial could also be filled in as a jingle at the end .... kind of like "and these trails were brought to you by SO and SO"

What my ramble above relates to is that if the signage is not carefully controlled things could easily get out of hand .... and in my personal opinion that signage is horrendous in design and scale for the site.

Not a single cent!

Does he necessarily need to?

Is he not already paying rent and/or owning the building?

You still haven't answered my question

And what of the trails that existed before Specilaized/TMM got involved? You going to close those down too?

Another bike brand can erect an arch over the entrance (in red) with flashing lights and a motion detector to pic up riders who cross below and then blast out "stairway to heaven" when people pass .... a small advertorial could also be filled in as a jingle at the end .... kind of like "and these trails were brought to you by SO and SO"

What my ramble above relates to is that if the signage is not carefully controlled things could easily get out of hand .... and in my personal opinion that signage is horrendous in design and scale for the site.

But permission would have to be given by the owner/leaser of the land.

But then again is what the sign looks like the issue? Or is it Specialized/TMM having a bit of a tantrum?