Camelbak/ Hydration pack options

Andy_Mills

Use water bottles. You waste money on Camelbacj. Fill up if in need of more than 2. Pretty soon you will ride 40km on half a bottle

Bullcrap. A hydration pack is not just about the water / hydration. It's about the tool carrying ability, back protection, ease of use as well as stowage capacity. A bottle / back pocket combo just doesn't cut it.

To call it a waste of money just because you don't understand it is an argument from incredulity. Ie: I don't understand why, so it is wrong

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

`I don't like the feeling of a bag on my back, its hot and sweaty and the extra weight makes my lower back uncomfortable. I'll deal with an ugly bike with double bottle cages.

Edited by blondeonabike

Bullcrap. A hydration pack is not just about the water / hydration. It's about the tool carrying ability, back protection, ease of use as well as stowage capacity. A bottle / back pocket combo just doesn't cut it.

To call it a waste of money just because you don't understand it is an argument from incredulity. Ie: I don't understand why, so it is wrong

Tell him . I was born with a Camel Pack on my back . Sometimes forget to take it of when I get home and then it gets wet in the shower

Some us prefer not to ingest trail dust/mud and whatever else a bottle may collect.

I take my Dakine Nomad on every ride. The Dakine products are excellent. The same things packed into my Camelbak Mule feel twice as heavy.

that "whatever else a bottle may collect" can very easily include cowdung, as was the case with the recent Slipperfields Inaugural race. For what it's worth, i've also noticed that cycling on a wet road produces rainbow coloured relections i.e. oil and other pollution stuff spraying up onto the bottle nozzles. It would suck big time if you encounter sewage water flowing across your path...

My point is, whether you cycle on the road or off, there's many nasty stuff just waiting to cling onto that tiny nozzle. I would prefer a backpack in spite of the discomfort and additional climbing weight.

I used to use the 1.5L camelbak (which has one very tiny pocket which doesn't fit anything at all!).

What I did recently was bought this: http://www.capeunionmart.co.za/k-way-swift-hydration-pack and put my Camelbak bladder inside it :)

Agree with the CPT. It's more about carrying all your spares and tools you need on the day. 1.5L is more than enough liquid for a few hour ride. I rode for around 3 hours and I still had liquid left. The KWay Swift I bought is not too big but it can fit a pump, some tyre patches and repair kits, my wind jacket and tyre, multi tool and chain breaker.

I used to use the 1.5L camelbak (which has one very tiny pocket which doesn't fit anything at all!).

What I did recently was bought this: http://www.capeunion...-hydration-pack and put my Camelbak bladder inside it :)

Agree with the CPT. It's more about carrying all your spares and tools you need on the day. 1.5L is more than enough liquid for a few hour ride. I rode for around 3 hours and I still had liquid left. The KWay Swift I bought is not too big but it can fit a pump, some tyre patches and repair kits, my wind jacket and tyre, multi tool and chain breaker.

Exactly.

Saying that - this is mine.. She's a big girl (like me) and I get called the pack horse, but I have EVERYTHING I need in here. Short rides, long rides, commuting, whatever. This can do it. Even doubles as a hiking bag, and a damn good one at that.

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/900/DAK/DAK1487/BOM.jpg

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

just actually picked up a Gelert Edge backpack from Camp n Climb in Cape Town. Exactly what I was after, 10ltr bag with 2 ltr source open top style bladder.

It comes with 3 compartments (bladder with holder, big middle section and then full length organiser at the front with pockets for phones wallets, tools, jackets stash etc), waist strap, chest strap (up and down adjustable) and vertical compression strap. The back is air flow'd and padded (though not as skeletal as the camel bak / Osprey) and the while gig comes with a lifetime guarantee.

It did take a bit of adjustment with the straps to get it to fit 100% but no more than a few minutes, water flow is great and it takes a lot of kit without feeling like it could wobble about.

I bought it on a punt because they retail @ R550 and figured if it didn't work out I'd just pass it on or use it for hikes on the mountain because of the space but I've been fully impressed on the couple of rides so far.

My only thought is that I'm not sure what the back air flow would be like in baking summer heat.

http://www.outdoormania.co.uk/images/Products/Master/6225-product507.jpg

Oh my word is that the kitchen sink I see peeking out the side of the zip?

Exactly.

Saying that - this is mine.. She's a big girl (like me) and I get called the pack horse, but I have EVERYTHING I need in here. Short rides, long rides, commuting, whatever. This can do it. Even doubles as a hiking bag, and a damn good one at that.

I am also a proud owner of a Dakine AMP25 pack.

The other day we did a 118km Karoo training ride for Transbaviaans. My friends were very annoyed with me at our halfway stop when I pulled out two boerie rolls and a 500ml Coke while they had to chew their jungle bars.

In addition to this I also pack a lot of tools and tyre repair items in it. I have helped many people next to the trail, which is something I love.

And this specific pack is extremely comfortable. I have done 6 rides longer than 100km with it and I did not once feel that it is uncomfortable or too big.

Edited by Brian Fantana

I am also a proud owner of a Dakine AMP25 pack.

The other day we did a 118km Karoo training ride for Transbaviaans. My friends were very annoyed with me at our halfway stop when I pulled out two boerie rolls and a 500ml Coke while they had to chew their jungle bars.

In addition to this I also pack a lot of tools and tyre repair items in it. I have helped many people next to the trail, which is something I love.

And this specific pack is extremely comfortable. I have done 6 rides longer than 100km with it and I did not once feel that it is uncomfortable or too big.

Precisely. Long ride? Out come the sarmies. LOL. Legend.

Exactly.

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/900/DAK/DAK1487/BOM.jpg

Pack all the way,I don't even have a bottle cage on my bike,bike looks cleaner as well.

If you dont want to take the kitchen sink with, the Dakine Drafter is also a very nifty pack. Nice compartments if you retentive like I am .., and can hold a fair amount of stuff. Served me well during Sani.

But I still prefer my Osprey pack.

I have two, the small classic, you can actually fit quite a bit in there, if you don't fill the bladder. It's perfect for running though.

My default is the Mule though for the reasons mentioned above, takes everything you need to carry.

If you dont want to take the kitchen sink with, the Dakine Drafter is also a very nifty pack. Nice compartments if you retentive like I am .., and can hold a fair amount of stuff. Served me well during Sani.

But I still prefer my Osprey pack.

I have a Dakine Session 8 L pack as well which works great for races and shorter rides.

......and a fully loaded backpack acts as an ideal counterweight for a beer boep.......so you are a much more balanced rider with a lower centre of gravity at the end of the day......I use a 9L capacity BAG (6L for tools and stuff, 3L fluid tank).