Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be able to assemble it in my lounge / kitchen. I'm single, so I can do htat sort of thing and not get into kaka. 

I once rebuilt the engine of a Honda XL 250 in my varsity res room. The motorbikes parked under under an affdak in a the corner of the carpark. I borrowed a tin shipping trunk from my buddy. One weekend I stripped the engine out of the bike, put the engine and parts in the trunk and took it up in the lift to my room. The frame and the rest of the bike stayed in the shed. The trunk was stored under my bed. I could pull it out in the evenings and work on the engine, but all the parts and evidence had to be packed in the trunk and stowed under the bed again before the next morning. It stayed there for a several weeks as I has to order parts and get some machining done. Eventually the reassembled engine was carried downstairs in the trunk and reinstalled into the frame. Vroom vroom, I had wheels again! And the tin trunk went back to my buddy - ready for the next bike emergency.

I never got any complaints from the cleaning ladies or the Matron so I assume they never found out...

MCN today has story on new norton 650. Shweet looking boney. Now need 12 large[/

I prefer the 961 Commado Sport!

attachicon.gifr50:2.jpg

Pick this up on Friday, wanted one for many years and found this nut and bolt restoration.

That is beautiful, enjoy it!

No idea about my last post. Perhaps too much red grape juice in the hotel lounge in Dubai, but lovely bike EvanB, enjoy it!

Edited by Spokey

post-52292-0-16865800-1570725497_thumb.png

I posted this some time back, but I have bought this beast, sight unseen from a dealer in Josie. I will collect in around 23rd of the month. Jeepers, I can barely wait. I am in Dubai right now. Home to Hoekwil on 15th. I am weighing up driving to Josie to collect it on the bike trailer or flying up and riding it back. 1170 kms to home from Fire it Up on William Nicol............I think to ride the beast!

It had BT56 tires. I have asked them to fit Pirelli Angel STs........

Bahahahaha!! I have to laugh. Turns out the XR I'm driving up to durban next weekend for is in pieces. All accounted for, apparently, but still in pieces. There are 2 bikes. The fully built one is being kept by my mate. I'm getting the one in pieces, so I'll need to build it. Depending on how built it is at the moment, and whether the engine is in pieces or not, I may be able to assemble it in my lounge / kitchen. I'm single, so I can do htat sort of thing and not get into kaka. 

Either way, there's a journey ahead of me. And I'm looking forward to it. Also means I can make it mine, by putting all the pieces I want onto it without any disassembly.

I think it is special to drive off a bunch of Kms and collect a bike........even one in pieces!

I once rebuilt the engine of a Honda XL 250 in my varsity res room. The motorbikes parked under under an affdak in a the corner of the carpark. I borrowed a tin shipping trunk from my buddy. One weekend I stripped the engine out of the bike, put the engine and parts in the trunk and took it up in the lift to my room. The frame and the rest of the bike stayed in the shed. The trunk was stored under my bed. I could pull it out in the evenings and work on the engine, but all the parts and evidence had to be packed in the trunk and stowed under the bed again before the next morning. It stayed there for a several weeks as I has to order parts and get some machining done. Eventually the reassembled engine was carried downstairs in the trunk and reinstalled into the frame. Vroom vroom, I had wheels again! And the tin trunk went back to my buddy - ready for the next bike emergency.

I never got any complaints from the cleaning ladies or the Matron so I assume they never found out...

That’s a cool story. Not sure generations of today would bother or understand this.

attachicon.gif071EDE18-5F87-44BD-B08C-C800E18D202B.png

I posted this some time back, but I have bought this beast, sight unseen from a dealer in Josie. I will collect in around 23rd of the month. Jeepers, I can barely wait. I am in Dubai right now. Home to Hoekwil on 15th. I am weighing up driving to Josie to collect it on the bike trailer or flying up and riding it back. 1170 kms to home from Fire it Up on William Nicol............I think to ride the beast!

It had BT56 tires. I have asked them to fit Pirelli Angel STs........

I used to fit BT56's to my TL1000R, even did track days on them.

Only tyres that gave me good mileage, you should consider keeping them for the long flat trip down and putting the Pirelli's on in Cape Town.

They aren't too bad, had lots of long power slides as Scribante isn't very grippy. Scared the crap out of me the first time but thereafter was quite fun......

Looking forward to Woodstock Co garage build weekend where people show of their custom builds!! 

they have teasers on their FB page an man some dudes know what they are doing. I am not a fan of cafe racers and street fighter things but some of those works are nice to look at. 

Strange that it is mostly old BMWs  and Hondas. 

Only tyres that gave me good mileage, you should consider keeping them for the long flat trip down and putting the Pirelli's on in Cape Town.

They aren't too bad, had lots of long power slides as Scribante isn't very grippy. Scared the crap out of me the first time but thereafter was quite fun......

TL1000R, now that would be a fine addition to my garage!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's hilarious. 

Also - it's a good opportunity for me to restore / rebuild it from the ground up and check all the nuts and bolts, clearances and all that jazz. Re-finish the plastics, mount indicators, get the stator re-wound to 12v and so on and so on. 

Catharsis.  

TL1000R, now that would be a fine addition to my garage!

Don't see too many of them, the nice ones go for big money.

Remember the fearsome rep these had (more the S I spose) that these were inclined to throw you off.

Used BT56's on a Suzuki Bandit in the UK. Worked well enough for me.