Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's hilarious.

Also - it's a good opportunity for me to restore / rebuild it from the ground up and check all the nuts and bolts, clearances and all that jazz. Re-finish the plastics, mount indicators, get the stator re-wound to 12v and so on and so on.

Catharsis.

You left out "and paint it Kawa green..."

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took the versys over du toits kloof over the weekend with the wife on the back. 

First observation was that I shifted a lot more than with the BMW. The dakkie you threw into 5th and you could just go with it. 

BUT... the versys was so much nicer. Smooth into the corners and even better going out. The tyres are more connected and everything is more responsive. Overtaking on the pass was also a whole different story. Drop a gear open up, and you are passed whatever was infront of you. 

Not saying the BMW is bad, but horses for courses.  

The guy who bought the BMW also phoned me to say that he dropped the bike in his driveway. Broken mirror (R1300 from BMW)

Broken Plastic (R1000 from motorcycle graveyard)

Bend crashbar (Don't know)

and topbox broken. 

All because he did not check that the side stand is out properly 

Took the versys over du toits kloof over the weekend with the wife on the back. 

First observation was that I shifted a lot more than with the BMW. The dakkie you threw into 5th and you could just go with it. 

BUT... the versys was so much nicer. Smooth into the corners and even better going out. The tyres are more connected and everything is more responsive. Overtaking on the pass was also a whole different story. Drop a gear open up, and you are passed whatever was infront of you. 

Not saying the BMW is bad, but horses for courses.  

The guy who bought the BMW also phoned me to say that he dropped the bike in his driveway. Broken mirror (R1300 from BMW)

Broken Plastic (R1000 from motorcycle graveyard)

Bend crashbar (Don't know)

and topbox broken. 

All because he did not check that the side stand is out properly 

I have never done that :cursing:

actually probably more than a few times.

Spotted this dude last weekend.  I'm not sure how I feel about cafe racers, but this one caught my attention. 

that's minimalist...

Mate of mine recently bought a CX and is having it sorted into a café racer. Lots removed but not on this level. I don't quite get the fascination with pimping the CX but each to his own. Think the SR 500 or 250 a better donor bike.

I like the Ducati café racer but its a small bike so I would not fit on it and the rather hefty price tag. Great value for money here is the SV650X which would survive a nucleur war.

You left out "and paint it Kawa green..."

BAHAHAHAHA!!! No feckin chance, mate. Red it will stay. Actually happy it's in bits cos it means I can get it fresh without having to take it apart first. Re spray the frame, revitalise the plastics (sandpaper, water paper, burnishing compound and polish) and ensure everything's tip top. 

that's minimalist...

It looks like the same bike that was on the DGR last week. Minimalist - no silencers (at all) and no front brakes... (no disk, no lever and no hydraulics).

It looks like the same bike that was on the DGR last week. Minimalist - no silencers (at all) and no front brakes... (no disk, no lever and no hydraulics).

WTAF re teh front brake. That can't be safe

That's the problem, you buy a bike standard. Get it through a roadworthy and licensed, thereafter you can do whatever you like. No need for periodic retesting, like in the UK with a MOT.

That's dangerous and reckless, the muppet isn't even wearing proper gear. Car jumps in front of him and everybody jumps up and down but in this case it's his own doing.

Stoopit......

That's the problem, you buy a bike standard. Get it through a roadworthy and licensed, thereafter you can do whatever you like. No need for periodic retesting, like in the UK with a MOT.

That's dangerous and reckless, the muppet isn't even wearing proper gear. Car jumps in front of him and everybody jumps up and down but in this case it's his own doing.

Stoopit......

I think it is a show piece, not actually intended to be ridden. Licensed or not, the exhausts are so loud that there is very limited opportunity to run the motor. Maybe the brakes are a work in progress?

But I can think of other toys I would rather have in my garage - like an original airhead BMW.

I think it is a show piece, not actually intended to be ridden. Licensed or not, the exhausts are so loud that there is very limited opportunity to run the motor. Maybe the brakes are a work in progress?

But I can think of other toys I would rather have in my garage - like an original airhead BMW.

Pretty sure that's a picture of him riding it to the DGR. If our law enforcement actually worked that would be impounded.

On a more serious note, I see they are trying to make lane splitting illegal again. What a bunch of muppets.

Pretty sure that's a picture of him riding it to the DGR. If our law enforcement actually worked that would be impounded.

On a more serious note, I see they are trying to make lane splitting illegal again. What a bunch of muppets.

They're actually not, if you read the amendment properly. Also, JP Smith has come out and said that they're definitely not. Bold bit is the text. Nowhere does it say lane splitting will be illegal. It DOES say that motos cannot ride 2 abreast in the same lane, and that 2 motos cannot simultaneously pass the same car. Which is logical. 

Cape Town - Motorcyclists are revved-up over a City traffic by-law amendment they say will outlaw lane sharing with cars or riding between cars (lane-splitting).

Bikers have accused the City of trying to ban them from riding between motor vehicles and making motorcycles behave like cars.

Bike dealership Bike Bros said there many changes were proposed, but the one of most concern to them is Section 49 (6) (a) of the Draft Traffic By-law that states that lane sharing by a motorcycle and another vehicle will no longer be permissible.

“We believe that this section of the proposal is extremely ill-advised. Bear in mind that Cape Town is the most heavily congested city in the country.

"Making motorcycles ride like a car in congested traffic situations makes no sense at all - it will just add to the problem.” The amended by-law states: “People, other than authorised officials in the performance of their duties, driving (sic) motorcycles on a public road, shall drive in single file except in the course of overtaking another motorcycle, and two or more persons driving motorcycles shall not overtake another vehicle at the same time: Provided that where a public road is divided into traffic lanes, each such lane shall, for the purposes of this paragraph, be regarded as a public road.”

According to Bike Bros, this would be the death knell for many motorcycle dealers. “If the dealers start disappearing, what will happen to the already stressed motorcycle market? Motorcycles will end up as no more than toys for the wealthy few.”

Vice-chairperson of Nomads Motorcycle Club Kevin Farrow said: “It is not possible for motorcyclists to ride behind a vehicle. We do plan on objecting to this.”

Another Biker Club, Gifted Knight, also raised concerns.

Club president Sidney Petersen said: “It will be more traffic on the road as motorcycles were never really part of traffic congestion. It will mean we have to travel by car as our motorcycles are not able to ride at 20km/h . They'll overheat and break down. The proposal is definitely ill-advised.”

Petersen also raised concerns about the safety of motorcyclists.

“It could be dangerous because bikers get rear-ended very easily.”

Mayco member for safety and security JP Smith has dismissed the bikers' claims. “Whoever is suggesting that the new traffic by-law is attempting to ban motorcycles from riding between motor vehicles has not read it and is creating a false panic.

“The section clearly shows that the provision in the by-law does not attempt to ban motorcycles from 'lane-splitting'. The provision in the by-law is an exact duplicate of what the national legislation says and the national legislation does not ban motorcycles from moving between vehicles when traffic is slow moving.

"There is therefore no reason to submit objections. Anybody wanting to object is free to undertake the effort, but their objection would not be speaking to an actual provision in the by-law. This has been confirmed with the officials who drafted the by-law.”

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

They're actually not, if you read the amendment properly. Also, JP Smith has come out and said that they're definitely not. Bold bit is the text. Nowhere does it say lane splitting will be illegal. It DOES say that motos cannot ride 2 abreast in the same lane, and that 2 motos cannot simultaneously pass the same car. Which is logical.

Cape Town - Motorcyclists are revved-up over a City traffic by-law amendment they say will outlaw lane sharing with cars or riding between cars (lane-splitting).

Bikers have accused the City of trying to ban them from riding between motor vehicles and making motorcycles behave like cars.

Bike dealership Bike Bros said there many changes were proposed, but the one of most concern to them is Section 49 (6) (a) of the Draft Traffic By-law that states that lane sharing by a motorcycle and another vehicle will no longer be permissible.

“We believe that this section of the proposal is extremely ill-advised. Bear in mind that Cape Town is the most heavily congested city in the country.

"Making motorcycles ride like a car in congested traffic situations makes no sense at all - it will just add to the problem.” The amended by-law states: “People, other than authorised officials in the performance of their duties, driving (sic) motorcycles on a public road, shall drive in single file except in the course of overtaking another motorcycle, and two or more persons driving motorcycles shall not overtake another vehicle at the same time: Provided that where a public road is divided into traffic lanes, each such lane shall, for the purposes of this paragraph, be regarded as a public road.”

According to Bike Bros, this would be the death knell for many motorcycle dealers. “If the dealers start disappearing, what will happen to the already stressed motorcycle market? Motorcycles will end up as no more than toys for the wealthy few.”

Vice-chairperson of Nomads Motorcycle Club Kevin Farrow said: “It is not possible for motorcyclists to ride behind a vehicle. We do plan on objecting to this.”

Another Biker Club, Gifted Knight, also raised concerns.

Club president Sidney Petersen said: “It will be more traffic on the road as motorcycles were never really part of traffic congestion. It will mean we have to travel by car as our motorcycles are not able to ride at 20km/h . They'll overheat and break down. The proposal is definitely ill-advised.”

Petersen also raised concerns about the safety of motorcyclists.

“It could be dangerous because bikers get rear-ended very easily.”

Mayco member for safety and security JP Smith has dismissed the bikers' claims. “Whoever is suggesting that the new traffic by-law is attempting to ban motorcycles from riding between motor vehicles has not read it and is creating a false panic.

“The section clearly shows that the provision in the by-law does not attempt to ban motorcycles from 'lane-splitting'. The provision in the by-law is an exact duplicate of what the national legislation says and the national legislation does not ban motorcycles from moving between vehicles when traffic is slow moving.

"There is therefore no reason to submit objections. Anybody wanting to object is free to undertake the effort, but their objection would not be speaking to an actual provision in the by-law. This has been confirmed with the officials who drafted the by-law.”

Badly written. Could also indicate you can't overtake of you're two-up? Which would be daft.