Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Work of art! ❤️

Still want to swing my leg over a super bike once in my life just to experience it.

Wouldn't want to own one doubt I have the discipline to keep myself safe... The temptation will be too big for me.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Spokey said:

A8BEB48F-82D0-4F7A-B8A0-A430D22C5A37.jpeg.5e30e27b1fe5bc561b7ba7bc18ae454a.jpegOkay, so you have perhaps all seen this already…………But I am shortly leaving Rome , well in a few hours, and will make a turn past Ducati Rome enroute to the airport.

I have been away from SA for 7 weeks and this machine is calling……..Weather looks good for a Sunday blast over the mountains!

Stunning 

Decided against selling my bike, and got the seller's remorse. I am going to miss this bike, even if I don't ride it so much. But I need to toughen up and go for a solo ride once, just need to work on my tools first, otherwise, I am going to leave myself stranded...

Luckily the bank manager approved the sports shooting, so it is still on the menu going forward.

Happy Wednesday All!

spacer.png

FUEL ECONOMY

Have any of you riff raff tried to run a single tank of petrol with a light throttle and try your best to see what the best fuel economy you can achieve off said tank could be.

I have honestly tried this a few times, with the best of intentions .... then you ride in traffic and so many people drive like chops and you just want to get past all the cars into a nice safe bubble with none of them around, or it just feels so good to go BRRRAAAP BRRAAAPP BRAAAP through the gears. What I am trying to say is that I may be never be able do this economy run test :(

8 hours ago, Hairy said:

FUEL ECONOMY

Have any of you riff raff tried to run a single tank of petrol with a light throttle and try your best to see what the best fuel economy you can achieve off said tank could be.

I have honestly tried this a few times, with the best of intentions .... then you ride in traffic and so many people drive like chops and you just want to get past all the cars into a nice safe bubble with none of them around, or it just feels so good to go BRRRAAAP BRRAAAPP BRAAAP through the gears. What I am trying to say is that I may be never be able do this economy run test :(

I have given up trying this on the Rocket 😂😅😁

With a range of about 450 to 550 kms on my lump and at the rate I ride, it would take me about 3 weeks to a month to ride it to empty. Ain't got that amount of patience. My computer tells me I get about 5.4l/100kms. Good enough for me.

1 hour ago, sawystertrance said:

With a range of about 450 to 550 kms on my lump and at the rate I ride, it would take me about 3 weeks to a month to ride it to empty. Ain't got that amount of patience. My computer tells me I get about 5.4l/100kms. Good enough for me.

Normal spirited stop go riding around town gives me 6'ish l/km and on open roads it comes down to 5.3l/km. Not bad for a 1600cc engine, and still less than my car smaller capacity cars usage.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 4:33 PM, Hairy said:

Normal spirited stop go riding around town gives me 6'ish l/km and on open roads it comes down to 5.3l/km. Not bad for a 1600cc engine, and still less than my car smaller capacity cars usage.

My Big Katoom, the 1190 returns around 16 to 18 kms per litre when ridden conservatively, but……………a little exuberant use of the twist grip will drop that to just 13. When I travel loaded with panniers, I really do need to pay attention to my fuel stops, especially into a headwind, running knobblies and in the dirt sure does not help.

Evening All

Anyone here used the Dunlop Trailmax Mission tyres on big ADV bikes? …….keen on input here. I believe I will give them a go on the 1190. I feel to keep the big Katoom for tar road and hard Karoo dirt riding with the little 690 shod with Pirelli MT21’s for the more dedicated off-road and trail work.

2 hours ago, Spokey said:

Evening All

Anyone here used the Dunlop Trailmax Mission tyres on big ADV bikes? …….keen on input here. I believe I will give them a go on the 1190. I feel to keep the big Katoom for tar road and hard Karoo dirt riding with the little 690 shod with Pirelli MT21’s for the more dedicated off-road and trail work.

Cannot give personal experience feedback but have a look at the following:

https://wilddog.net.za/threads/the-unicorn-adventure-tyre.262994/

The Mitas E07 is awesome tyres if you can find stock that is what I run front and rear on my G650X and seems that they are also solid on the bigger bikes.

For those still thinking of getting a neck brace, just do it! It is something I was skimping on for quite some time but glad I pulled the trigger.

spacer.png

Why should I wear one?
https://www.rideadv.com/ride-adventures-tour-and-rentals-blog/bid/100639/motorcycle-gear-the-neck-brace-and-why-i-wear-one

The story of Leatt:

The Leatt story began in 2001 when Dr. Christopher Leatt witnessed the death of a fellow motorcycle rider the weekend after his son, Matthew, began riding.

Dr Leatt began research and development of a device almost immediately, driven by a passion to protect not only his son, but all riders from the effects of catastrophic neck injuries. His first patents were filed in 2003.
The revolutionary Leatt-Brace® was developed in Cape Town, South Africa and tested by BMW engineers at their facility in Munich, Germany, with first production units sold in late 2006.

It is actually amazing to think that Leatt is internationally respected by riders all over the globe not only in South Africa. What an achievement for Dr. Christopher Leatt!

If you do not mind second hand gear, I'll highly recommend Dominic from Rider-Sports. I got my pair from him, super nice dude! Find more here: https://ridersports.co.za/

That's all from me, happy Friday and happy riding. 😎

30 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

But buying is by invite only apparently?

Edit: Apologies, by appointment only.

He runs his business from his home, so makes sense. Simply pop him a WhatsApp to arrange for viewing and Bob's your uncle.