Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/18/2022 at 10:59 PM, Hairy said:

FUEL ECONOMY

Have any of you riff raff tried to run a single tank of petrol with a light throttle and try your best to see what the best fuel economy you can achieve off said tank could be.

I have honestly tried this a few times, with the best of intentions .... then you ride in traffic and so many people drive like chops and you just want to get past all the cars into a nice safe bubble with none of them around, or it just feels so good to go BRRRAAAP BRRAAAPP BRAAAP through the gears. What I am trying to say is that I may be never be able do this economy run test :(

Many years ago we helped prepare a TDM900 for the Total Fuel Economy run.  I forget the guys name who rode it, but he was a big BMW man and we poached him to ride the TDM.  You really do have your hands tied when it comes to preparation because you aren't allowed to do any modifications but he knew a trick or two!  He leaned out the mixture to a point where it was almost damaging the motor, and then also put in super thin oil.  Last trick was to tape up the Radiator so that the bike warmed up almost immediately - all so that you didn't waste any unnecessary fuel.  I think the TDM ran under 4l/100km which for a big 900 Twin was impressive!

So it was bugging me who the guy was so I phoned my old boss and we both remembered it was Pieter De la Rey - he the famous Drag racer.

We always thought it was so weird that a guy who was a top drag racer was also an expert at winning fuel economy runs.

Another interesting story involving Pieter De la Rey was that he drag raced an R1. That in itself isn't that impressive.  It's the R1 that was impressive.  In 1997 Yamaha brought out a pre-production R1 to South Africa for testing - engine number 00001 or the first R1 Yamaha ever built.

When the Japanese testers left SA, they insisted that the bike and engine be destroyed as it was pre-production and was for assesment and testing only, so the plan was to take the bike out by ship into the Durban harbor and drop it overboard.  Somehow, that never happened and it eventually made its way to De la Rey for drag racing.

When I left Yamaha it had been returned and was standing in the entrance hall of Yamaha in Pinetown but Yamaha has moved now up to JHB so I have no idea where it went.

But somewhere, in SA is the first ever R1 pre-production R1 ever built.

43 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Good luck getting away from the police, when the cop is on a motorbike

I havent watched the clip right now, but based on the image that pops up for the link is this not an old clip ? I recall seeing very similar a number of years back.

2 hours ago, ouzo said:

I havent watched the clip right now, but based on the image that pops up for the link is this not an old clip ? I recall seeing very similar a number of years back.

clip shows as being uploaded 8 months ago....but yes, it could be an old clip

So I usually ride alone if  I go anywhere.

This morning I dropped my eldest off at school, and given just how awesome the weather was it was a complete no brainer to jump on the bike for a quick ride out before getting to work.

Pull the bike out the garage, and catch my one neighbour in front of his house .... took all of 2 seconds telling him I am going for a quick coffee ride to town and back before he was running like a little kid into the house to get changed. He is in his late 50's for context, and a quick ride out worked well for him as he has a wedding to go to today.

He has been on a bike since his early teens, ridden with many clubs, and even preceded over a club before....so he has been around and knows how to ride a bike, but more importantly he is a really awesome person (Who can also talk the ear off a donkey).

It is a different experience riding with another person, you quickly learn to plan ahead for two bikes through traffic, the sound of a bike following you is awesome and he was always in the same spot in my rear mirror throughout the ride and traffic, so that was pretty awesome.

Quick coffee and ride back home with a ride that leaves you completely relaxed and happy with life!

Next ride out is to Riebeek Kasteel for a quick breakfast and back.

Geez, that kind of parking is so irritating. 2 reaons why they do it:

1. They don't care about others and the effect of their actions. This speaks to education and culture.

2. No consequences for their actions.

On a more technical note, i that the coffee shop at Melkbos? I have seen the two stroke gang meet up there some Sundays.

31 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Geez, that kind of parking is so irritating. 2 reaons why they do it:

1. They don't care about others and the effect of their actions. This speaks to education and culture.

2. No consequences for their actions.

On a more technical note, i that the coffee shop at Melkbos? I have seen the two stroke gang meet up there some Sundays.

Correct, you have two options here ... poor to average coffee at "The Heart", or probably one of the best cups of coffee in Cape Town at "Simple Brew" ..... you choose.image.png.afb732fc7c56b5e1229fd6b6e60a8e86.png