Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Time to come out of the closet. One of my bikes also has a motor.

I have owned this Motor Guzzi V50 MkII for about 25 years. But life got in the way a while back and it was standing for the last 15 years. Then last year I got inspired to get it running again. The "nikasil" coating in the cylinder bore had coroded and ceased it solid (but one side only). Brakes had ceased and the clutch too. 

Anyway I got the damaged cylinder reconditioned and recoated and fitted new rings. I could not find replacement pistons, either new or 2nd hand anywhere in Europe or SA, so had to make do with the old ones. I overhauled one brake master cylinder cleaned out the other and the break lines then bled them. I got lucky with the clutch, it came free when I poked a screwdriver through the timing hole.

Then I bought a new battery and it is running again after 15 years. The motor runs very sweetly.

But the real work is just beginning. It needs work on the exhaust, new tiers, the plastic body parts need some repairs, the center stand needs tlc and then it needs a total respray. But all that will happen in its own time.  :)

post-45898-0-62351300-1523776437_thumb.jpg

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now down to the boring details. I need to replace this exhaust equalizer pipe.

It goes between the exhausts under the motor. It is just a simple chromed steel pipe with a slit and a radial clamping bolt on each end. The bolts could easily be replaced by loose clamps. It is not visible so aesthetics is not a major concern. There is a big crack under the bandage. The bandage held just long enough for me to hear the leaks in the rest of the pipes, which are not too bad.

Any suggestions where I can get a new one made up in Cape Town?

post-45898-0-18859000-1523781247_thumb.jpg

post-45898-0-02409100-1523781258_thumb.jpg

How much and what are the specs on it?

Contact Mike at Randburg Motor Cycles, I jut saw it on the FB page. Not seen it for real.

Had a nice 600 km round trip over the weekend with the dakar. (and wife on the back.)

Did 120kmph for most of the distance, but you can feel that engine working its but off. 

My backside is still vibrating.......

It is a very nice bike and very capable, but definitely not build for long distances at highway speeds. And it is an excellent commuter.  

No to find something else..... 

It should be as tall as the dakar

A bit narrower at the back for the missus's hips

At least 2 cylinders and able to do 140. (not nice to be overtaken on a bike while doing 120.)

top box, boxes, center stand, loud,  would be a super bonus 

Had a nice 600 km round trip over the weekend with the dakar. (and wife on the back.)

Did 120kmph for most of the distance, but you can feel that engine working its but off. 

My backside is still vibrating.......

It is a very nice bike and very capable, but definitely not build for long distances at highway speeds. And it is an excellent commuter.  

No to find something else..... 

It should be as tall as the dakar

A bit narrower at the back for the missus's hips

At least 2 cylinders and able to do 140. (not nice to be overtaken on a bike while doing 120.)

top box, boxes, center stand, loud,  would be a super bonus 

Very nice bike and I took one for a ride when looking to buy a dual sport. I was bothered by the vibration at 100kph and when going up through the gears so despite it being a great bike, I moved on since I think I would like to be doing some freeway travel. 

I ended up buying a 1200 Adventure and so far am happy with the decision. Coming from a four cylinder 650 road bike, I love the torque. 

Sounds like it would suit you so I advise you to ignore the BMW bashers and take one for a test ride. With missus on the back for thorough testing. 

Very nice bike and I took one for a ride when looking to buy a dual sport. I was bothered by the vibration at 100kph and when going up through the gears so despite it being a great bike, I moved on since I think I would like to be doing some freeway travel.

I ended up buying a 1200 Adventure and so far am happy with the decision. Coming from a four cylinder 650 road bike, I love the torque.

Sounds like it would suit you so I advise you to ignore the BMW bashers and take one for a test ride. With missus on the back for thorough testing.

I'm with you on the BMW, but if I had the mula, I will definitely be looking at the new Honda Africa Twin.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm with you on the BMW, but if I had the mula, I will definitely be looking at the new Honda Africa Twin.

It's also a great bike but I somehow get the feeling that the BM is better suited to the tar. Haven't ridden the AT but that's the impression I get anyway. I have looked at a few and they are so light and narrow compared to the beat I ride. Things in the BM's favour - for me anyway - are big tank(I get about 500 kms per tank), big screen protection and shaft drive. 

But, if you had to but the AT, you wouldn't go wrong, that's for sure. 

I think you should try to be clear about what riding you want to do and then choose the weapon for it. 

It's also a great bike but I somehow get the feeling that the BM is better suited to the tar. Haven't ridden the AT but that's the impression I get anyway. I have looked at a few and they are so light and narrow compared to the beat I ride. Things in the BM's favour - for me anyway - are big tank(I get about 500 kms per tank), big screen protection and shaft drive.

But, if you had to but the AT, you wouldn't go wrong, that's for sure.

I think you should try to be clear about what riding you want to do and then choose the weapon for it.

I owned a 650 Dakar, I loved it but tank size was a bit small. I have ridden the 1150 GS which I loved, haven't ridden the 1200GS, but they are so flippen heavy. I see that the Honda is slightly lighter than the 1200GS but only a few kgs. I know the GS bikes and they are very reliable. Actually wouldn't mind any of the above. [emoji41]. I don't like heavy bikes and I would love to have the Yamaha Tenere 660 or the 700 when it comes out. I like the shape of the bike, looks rough, tough and a go anywhere bike.

Edited by BSG

I'm liking that new Honda with the auto box even. But, just because, if I was considering a new bike (I wish I could) I'd look for a KTM / Husqvarna 500.

I owned a 650 Dakar, I loved it but tank size was a bit small. I have ridden the 1150 GS which I loved, haven't ridden the 1200GS, but they are so flippen heavy. I see that the Honda is slightly lighter than the 1200GS but only a few kgs. I know the GS bikes and they are very reliable. Actually wouldn't mind any of the above. [emoji41]. I don't like heavy bikes and I would love to have the Yamaha Tenere 660 or the 700 when it comes out. I like the shape of the bike, looks rough, tough and a go anywhere bike.

Yes, I agree that the GS is heavy but I can honestly say that you do get used to it and because the weight is low down, it is easy to handle and does not feel heavy when riding, except that perhaps it is not as quick to change direction as a lighter bike. I'm comparing the Honda to my bike which is an Adventure and it felt so much narrower than mine although I like the angle of my tank and the wind protection it gives me. 

I agree with your choices - both great bikes and the Yammie in particular looks great. Different riding options though and currently I spend most of my time on tar so the GS suits me. I even commute on it which is not using it to its potential but it was a one-stop solution for me.

Do you currently have a bike?

I'm liking that new Honda with the auto box even. But, just because, if I was considering a new bike (I wish I could) I'd look for a KTM / Husqvarna 500.

Hi, Yes I agree. There is a guy on another forum I belong to who does a lot of trans-Africa offroad travel and he swears by his KTM 500. He has some spectacular photos to prove it.

For example:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=222953.20

Yes, I agree that the GS is heavy but I can honestly say that you do get used to it and because the weight is low down, it is easy to handle and does not feel heavy when riding, except that perhaps it is not as quick to change direction as a lighter bike. I'm comparing the Honda to my bike which is an Adventure and it felt so much narrower than mine although I like the angle of my tank and the wind protection it gives me.

I agree with your choices - both great bikes and the Yammie in particular looks great. Different riding options though and currently I spend most of my time on tar so the GS suits me. I even commute on it which is not using it to its potential but it was a one-stop solution for me.

Do you currently have a bike?

No haven't had one for a few years, currently taking and using every opportunity I have with my son's XR125. [emoji5]

• 2 weeks later...

No haven't had one for a few years, currently taking and using every opportunity I have with my son's XR125. [emoji5]

You have great places to ride down your area. If You can face the long ride to Louvain farm, the ride over the Voortrekker route (dating from the 1700s) down to BergPlaas is stunning on a small bike. If you arekeen I can show you in June (when home) or of course just to welcome you to my pad in Hoekwil for a well earned beer after that ride!

I hope your son is enjoying his bike as much as you are! My boy loved his Honda 125!