I rode a 650b

nathrix

259 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase a 650b

• Absolutely YES
    • Never EVER!
    • I already have one (650b).
    • I have a 29er
    • I'll keep my 26" cause 650b is not that significant improvement....
    • Don't care about wheel size!

Yeah you are correct, they were 650 C.

As for the Gary Fisher bikes, he is not the founder nor inventor of 29 inch wheels.

If you ask some folks that were around back in the day when they looked at standardising things, he was one of the biggest voters for 26"

He later came with his 29'ers and yes the first major brand to put bikes out there, however I do believe it was those bikes that brought the "wagon wheel" stigma to the 29" wheel size.

The Genesis geometry was horrible, the BB too high and the bike too long.

But......he was not the "inventor"

I firmly believe that Niner bikes is to be thanked for their effort and input ,especially from a geometry perspective .

I also firmly believe that most pro 27.5 proponents are firm because they simply converted their 26'ers to 27.5 where they could and as we all know, you can buy a bike called Piet Snot and become it's biggest ambassador, simply because you spent the money on it.

If I had a 26'er and bought a new bike it would be a 29'er.

If I was new to the sport and uncertain and lacked some skills that would be needed, I would buy a 27.5.

The last thing I want anywhere near my house is a bike with 26" wheels.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he's not taking about a Spaz. He would get sued if he was

Nah. Any talk of hashtag #ENDURO ®© hashtag must have those handles to be considered a proper hashtag #ENDURO ®© hashtag reference

As for the Gary Fisher bikes, he is not the founder nor inventor of 29 inch wheels.

If you ask some folks that were around back in the day when they looked at standardising things, he was one of the biggest voters for 26"

He later came with his 29'ers and yes the first major brand to put bikes out there, however I do believe it was those bikes that brought the "wagon wheel" stigma to the 29" wheel size.

I firmly believe that Niner bikes is to be thanked for their effort and input ,especially from a geometry perspective .

I also firmly believe that most pro 27.5 proponents are firm because they simply converted their 26'ers to 27.5 where they could and as we all know, you can buy a bike called Piet Snot and become it's biggest ambassador, simply because you spent the money on it.

If I was new to the sport and uncertain and lacked some skills that would be needed, I would buy a 27.5.

If you have own/ed or chucked your legs over one of them, you would know why....

Edited by rouxtjie

Never said he was the "inventor"

Yes Niner Bikes creations were the first 29ers that rode like proper bikes and didn't give youhanging on for dear life feeeling

[/size][/font][/color]

That didn't seem to come out right

I see GT also tried a 700D which is only 3mm bigger than the 650B

the google force is strong in this one

the google force is strong in this one

LOL

The first 650B/700D MTB

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/27-5-650b/363595d1211812733-vintage-650b-build-gt-tachyon-img_1066.jpg

Edited by Flowta

I rode a beautiful carbon 650b this weekend, almost thought I was on my old 26", it sucked :thumbdown:

EDIT 01: I have added a poll

EDIT 02: Added 26" and 29" options and you have multiple choices now.

Pick your favourite wheel size, then be a dick about it.

Hmm,

My 2 cents worth

We all get excited about new shiny two wheeled things and we all have a technology bent where we try to suss out whether something will make us faster or better etc.

But frankly i am just excited to have an opportunity to try out something new and experiment for myself.

So lets put all the technical analysis and motivation on the back burner.

My first 26 inch Specialized Sworks Epic was such a radical improvement over anything else that it put a huge grin on my face.

I got the same grin when i built a long travel Santa Cruz Nomad 26 inch Enduro bike way before it was called Enduro. It was just an awesome ride.

Then i went 29er. Specialized of Course.

Same Grin

Same Feeling and excitement and perceived improvement in ride.

So now i want to build a 267,5 inch bike.

Why?

To try it out.

And because a mate of mine asked me for help as to whether he should upgrade his 26 inch Stumpjumper Sworks to a 29er, about a R 100k upgrade so i suggested he put 27,5 wheels on as a cheaper upgrade option and seen as though Specialized has just released the 27,5 Stumpjumper it would really modernize his ride. The result was PB's on a lot of his segment times on Strava. So maybe he is also just riding harder etc, its not scientific, but his smile and pleasure with the new upgrade is clear.

So it seems like what Wyatt has to say is spot on and it seems like there are lots of scientific reasons to do this.

But the biggest reason is to get new toys and experiment and play with things for oneself.

Privately i am looking for the "Ring" bike - the one wheel size to rule them all. And it looks like 27,5 has the chance to be that. Slightly longer travel, slacker angles, quicker turning etc are all there.

But just one bike in the garage is a great feeling.

Oh and of course with the blingest components in the world as it will just be the one....

Okay - sense time here. It's his thread. Your choice whether to answer or take part or not.

The fact of the matter even though it is his thread, having only done less than a handful of rides a 650b is not for him and the whole world is a crazy for getting into the 650b,..... really!!!... now who needs some sense!!

I ride a 29er, a 650b and a 26er (admittedly have not been on my 26er for a long time) and even a road bike :whistling: . I have however had a 650b for nearly 2 years of which 9 months has been as a rigid SS. I use it for when the terrain suits or I want to go have a fun day, similarly I use the 29er when I feel it is the best suited weapon in my armory!

There are some of us who have been riding 650b's for a long time and know the benefits of what that style bike and riding can give to you... none of us need to rave on how good a 650b can be and that everyone else is an idiot for not getting in on the 650b wheel size. What makes an avid 29er feel he can do the opposite, especially when he has not spent long in the saddle on a 650b, fails to understand the geometry and what it can provide, yet believes he is now an authority!

Yet someone who rode a bike once feels his opinion matters more than most and must force it upon the world that whoever buys into the 650b is a fad frenzied idiot??

Seems sense has been misplaced .... hence why myself and others comment :)

Shame poor you , Who care what you think did you won a stage on the epic or came in the first 20 of a XC world cup race, if not you opinion is a Zero for us.
I care what he think did! You opinion is a zero for us! Edited by HowellingWulf

Never said he was the "inventor"

Never said you said that he said he was said inventor but he said that he was the inventor of said wheel size .

Never said you said that he said he was said inventor but he said that he was the inventor of said wheel size .

:thumbup:

Took me a number of times to read this

Yet someone who rode a bike once feels his opinion matters more than most and must force it upon the world that whoever buys into the 650b is a fad frenzied idiot??

Seems sense has been misplaced .... hence why myself and others comment :)

I said may opinion is a worthless 10 zim cents you liar :o

I also said selling your beloved 26" for next to nothing and using your hard earned cash to buy a 650b is not such a significant, rather keep the the 26", money in the bank :o

also, who cares what other people think of what you ride or what I ride, I care less, ride what you smaak, as long is it's not a 650b unless you are a chick, that's my worthless opinion, use it don't use it :)