Emmarentia to become paid access only?

Rata Del Spruit

Seems to me just another revenue stream, but regarding bylaws has anyone ever noticed the signs at the entrance that say no cyclists. Our using the park has really been turning a blind eye of bylaws as well as the dog walkers not keeping their dogs on leads or cleaning up after their dogs.

Regarding behavior of cyclists, I have seen some race past ppl having a walk resulting in some angry mutterings but some of these walkers are really rude when you politely ask to pass. I've had dogs excitedly run up to me to play.

Personally I wouldn't pay to go ride if it's just a case of laps around the park, but if it keeps riff raff out then great I guess, it's safer for everyone. But it was my regular haunt then Yeah I'd probably be peeved about it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the article, thanks.

http://www.northcliffmelvilletimes.co.za/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2014/05/NT22KJemmarentiapa_553120675.jpg?4d339e

Soon the owners of these dogs may have to pay entrance to walk them in Emmarentia Dam park.

Emmarentia Dam and Johannesburg National Botanical Gardens’ regulars might be in for a shock – a walk in the beloved Johannesburg park might soon cost them.

“The ward council are planning to start charging entrance at Emmarentia. They’ll close off all park entrances except two, and at those entrances people will have to pay for access,” Belinda Bruce-Brand told Northcliff Melville Times.

Ward councillor Pat Brugman-Richards confirmed that it was true. “Emmarentia is a big entity,” she said. “It’s difficult to maintain. It has to become self-sustaining. The idea is to close off some of the gates,” she explained.

“It’ll be exactly the same as other botanical gardens in the country – Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens, for example. People will only have access to a few gates and they will be charged.”

Emmarentia regulars have stood up against the council before. “In 2008, City Parks started putting up the fence to separate dog walkers from the rest of the park. We only heard about it through the grapevine, but we protested. We formed human chains. Thousands of people signed petitions within days. The court interdict that we won still exists,” Steven Kuny, the defacto chairman of the Environment Dog Groups of Emmarentia said.

“It would be a great shame if people had to start paying to go into the park,” he added.

“Originally, the title deeds to Emmarentia provided right of way to everyone. It might be contravening the law to change that. And we’re standing ready to fight this decision.”

The council has discussed this motion, and they are planning to give the public a chance to speak. “We have a draft masterplan to implement. There will be public meetings though, and people will have their say. We don’t yet know when it will be implemented, or what it will cost. We will let people know when we do.”

Bergman-Richards said that many Emmarentia regulars are contravening public bylaws. “Actually, I have a bone to pick with dog walkers at Emmarentia. Nobody picks up the dog poo anymore. The bylaws of Johannesburg stipulate that all dogs should be on leashes once they’re off their owner’s properties. But walkers at Emmarentia let their dogs run free – probably because that’s how they’ve done it historically. There are a lot of people that are not in control of their dogs.”

Dog walkers and their charges aren’t the only contentious issue at the park. “Cyclists at Emmarentia are also a problem – they run down old people and children and seem to think they have right of way.”

There’s a reason the park will have to start charging. “Not many people know this, but City Parks and the zoo has combined – they now share the same budget,” Bergman-Richards explained.

“A lot of the money and equipment allocated to the parks is going to the zoo. And the new combined City Parks is considered least important of the city’s budgets. I don’t necessarily agree with this, but it (charging people) has to happen.”

“Emmarentia Dam is something that makes the city liveable,” well-known Auckland park residents Keith Knowlton and Jane Griffiths said. They walk their dogs Tilu and Tosca at Emmarentia on an almost daily basis.

“People will stop going there. We don’t want to pay daily. It’s a public space, charging at Emmarentia would be like charging to enter Central Park in New York.”

Edited by Rata Del Spruit

Guest notmyname

Apples with apples. Walter Sisulu is streaks ahead as far a botanical gardens go. It will be a damn shame if free access to this lung of the northern suburbs becomes a 'pay to play' area. I have been utilising the park since I was a nipper.

Dam it...

I see an intervention coming, I love taking my kids there to feed the ducks, and I am not paying for that.

Next thing you know, Delta Park will be a pay to play.

Man I hate what we as a society are becoming.

BTW, I blame the watt watchers for the bad rap.

Guest notmyname

How much income is derived from the concerts that they have about once a month?

Good question. Another is who benefits from that income?

Dam it...

I see an intervention coming, I love taking my kids there to feed the ducks, and I am not paying for that.

Next thing you know, Delta Park will be a pay to play.

Man I hate what we as a society are becoming.

BTW, I blame the watt watchers for the bad rap.

Delta Park being taken over by the organised fun walks and runs anyhow these days.... gazillions of them nowadays.

Guest Zeitgeist

Some okes on bikes are douches - fact.

But I have yet to see a dog on a leash in Emmarentia in the mornings...

The dog-lovers are FAR from innocent

Don't agree with you.

I ride a lot through Emmarentia, and it IS a place for walkers and dogs etc, as well as bikes. It's the W@NKERS who think they are in a photo finish bombing through the park, feeling entitled to ride at breakneck speed for eveyone to get the hell out of their way that are wrecking this for ALL - riders, walkers dogs etc.

Slow down, and avoid walkers and dogs, including those off the lead. Walkers will see you being considerate, and dial down their hostility to the riders in response - I have personally witnessed this. If you are such a meneer racer, go and ride on dedicated trails - don't inflict yoursellf on an area that is clearly being used by all kinds of people for enjoyment, and then bitching when you collide with a dog because you are bombing through a family park at 50km/h - grow up and dial down your selfish self-entitlement

Guest Karma

Do elaborate for us?

yes, he's talking to you.

yes, he's talking to you.

I want to hear this, honestly....this issue has been stewing in me for a while...but alas live and let live.

My self and my mates run our pit bulls and ride at Emm's almost everyday!!!!

There are trails for both bikers and a whole park for dog walkers, the key is to share the park!

The MTB Bike trail is on the outer part of the park.

Don't flipping race downhill pace past the grannies and dog walkers, it is a chilled Botanical park- Shared by all- THINK OF THE DOGS!

Dog walkers and Grannies please don't walk on the MTB single tracks.

During the week the park is quiet, nice time to ride, better yet there is a whole spruit to ride up and down..

HIT THE SPRUIT HARD!!

How about the implementation of friendly sounding bike bells when riding at Emmarentia parks?

This seems to work at Delta park.

Guys whatever the situation, there will always be bickering and B.S issues between walkers and riders.

As there will be with cars and bicycles.

A the end of the day we going to have to pay to ride, run and walk at Emms.

Following this , DO NOT BE SURPRISED IF THEY TAKE THE PARK AWAY FROM US RIDERS, US DOG WALKERS AND RUNNERS ALIKE!

Roodepoort botanical gardens here we come.

Edited by Undun

This is not something we should allow to happen. Remember Suikerbosrand where the petition helped to stop those charge increases, perhaps another one of those is called for.

And yes, where does the income derived from those concerts and exhibitions go? That is a much fairer way to generate income.

This is yet another extortionate move for something that we already pay for in our rates and taxes.. like etolls, paying twice over.

As far as I know, public parks, and ammenities etc are funded from rates and taxes?

Edited by RichieT

This is not something we should allow to happen. Remember Suikerbosrand where the petition helped to stop those charge increases, perhaps another one of those is called for.

And yes, where does the income derived from those concerts and exhibitions go? That is a much fairer way to generate income.

This is yet another extortion for something we already pay for in our rates and taxes.. like etolls

I agree this should not happen!

Emmarentia is very, very well maintained.

It must just stay that way. PEOPLE MUST RESPECT EMMARENTIA.

Suikerbossie is not so nicely looked after , actually it is Trashed, this is VERY SAD.

It was on 702 discussion about how bad the place is.

You pay for entrance at Suiker B but the place/ facilities are %#$@#%.

Emmarentia free entrance but facilities are good? Does the concert money go into the park maintenance?

WTF id going on?

Edited by Undun