Momsen Vipa vs Scott Spark 910

Gary57

Premium is R58k not R40k.

What did you pay for your premium?

Talked to my LBS the other day he said i can get a brand new 2013 Spark 900 Premium for under 45k. Still a lot of old stock in the country...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talked to my LBS the other day he said i can get a brand new 2013 Spark 900 Premium for under 45k. Still a lot of old stock in the country...

Care to share your LBS details?

That is because no one is buying them friend. Steer clear.

I never had an issue, just bought my wife a 710 last week. Figure Scott must be one of the top selling brands in SA so one can expect a few complaints. Never heard of anyone not getting a replacement frame under the warrantee, which speaks louder than the actual issue.

There have been a lot more than a few complaints.

The problem comes in when the warranty expires (unless it is life time). You will always have this thought in the back of your mind each time you go out for a ride "is today the day it is going break?" The repair bill is now yours to bear.

Also resale will be affected. No one will buy a used bike that has a reputation for breaking in the knowledge that the warranty won't pass to them.

Having said that, I am a huge Scott fan and would love a 650b Spark, but have heard too many complaints of their after sales service and delays in repairing these bikes to take the chance.

Edited by Eugene

That is because no one is buying them friend. Steer clear.

As far as i know it is just the 2012 range with the chainstray problem, correct me if i'm wrong.

Concerned that the Vipa does have remote lockout and 80mm rear travel...

Ask Crow about how that 80mm performs. Way above his expectations. He's slapped a 120mm fork at the front and it's a trail munching machine. Lockout isn't needed with the monarch at the back. Shock and the suspension design work brilliantly together.

Ek is op my 3de Scott en geen probleme sover! Ek het die 910 wat briljant is en my nog geen probleme gegee het nie, selfs al het ek die Epic 2013 gedoen. Sover ek weet het my en my spanmaat sowel die ander ouens wat hul fietse gedurende die Epic by dieselfde ouens laat diens het elke dag, op die einde van die Epic die minste probleme en herstelwerk benodig! Daar is wel n paar gevalle waarvan ek weet waar die "swingarm" gebreek het of gekraak het en hul LBS vir hul n leen "swingarm" gegee het totdat hul vervangde "swingarm" gekom het! Ek dink Scott se na-koop diens is goed. Daar was so tyd gelede soortgelyke onderwerp en Joggie Prinsloo het self vinnig daarop gereageer en die probleem vinnig uitgesorteer. Ek is ook wel nuuskierig om te sien hoe Vipa se vervanging spoed gaan wees indien daar n defek op hul produk is. Miskien is daar iemand wat al probleme gehad het wat vir ons bietjie kan vertel hoe vinnig sy probleem opgelos is? Ook weet ek van ander "brands" waar die raam eers moet nagegaan word waarop daar dan n besluit geneem word, waarop Scott slegs n verslag vanaf jpu LBS soek en dan dit te vervang as dit moet vervang word! So my keuse bly Scott......

Went and saw both bikes, Momsen frame is hot cakes. Bought the Scott though.

I preferred the I-spec XT parts on the Scott, the remote lock out, basically all the bits besides the frame, haha.

The Momsen was also R4000 more, not that that swayed my decision though. Just felt like the Scott was a better package, better bits bolted to the frame.

To give my 5c worth. Bought 2 Scott 910's about a month ago for my sons. Had lockout problem on the one. Scott fixed it within minutes - both the kids love their bikes. I think it has a lot to do with where you buy your bike.

To give my 5c worth. Bought 2 Scott 910's about a month ago for my sons. Had lockout problem on the one. Scott fixed it within minutes - both the kids love their bikes. I think it has a lot to do with where you buy your bike.

Can I be your third son???

In March I considered (among other brands) the Scott Spark 910, the Spez Epic and the VIPA... Settled for the VIPA and have been really happy with it.

Thing with Spez is their costly maintenance and short intervals of the 'brain', especially if you're in Jhb and have to send it to CT every time.

• 2 months later...
Guest TheEpicOne

I bought a scott spark 910 2 months ago and have problems.

I get creaks and squeeks from my bike, local bike shop replaced pivots / bearings and tested the BB and according to them all fine but I still get the same creaks and squeeks!!! Very pissed off

I bought a scott spark 910 2 months ago and have problems.

I get creaks and squeeks from my bike, local bike shop replaced pivots / bearings and tested the BB and according to them all fine but I still get the same creaks and squeeks!!! Very pissed off

Have you checked the saddle? Often the source of many a squeak.