[Event] Freedom Challenge 2014

tubed

Can we please get some updates on RASA Racing Snakes. Glenn is my brother so keen to know where he is.

Thanks

Dean

Sheez and you come here to ask, am humbled? we should be asking you!!

The twitter feed is about the latest info and guys at jumpertrax seem to be doing all they can to improve the system, the armchair/ keyboard riders are very demanding.

But unless you know the route and the background all of that is a tad confusing.

In a nutshell then:

The two guys out in front on the trail are Bugs and Allen, they are headed through the Eastern Cape toward the Baviaans as their next big challenge, they started a week before Glenn and the other racers.

Coming up behind them are the front runners Graham and Hanno who have passed through Rhodes and are on to the next support station.

Glenn is behind them and is picking up the pace as he seems to have recovered from the tummy bug, he is going up and over the Drakensberg today and onwards down to Rhodes, it seems he and Tim are close together. Guess it remains to be seen if they stop in Rhodes and for how long.

While Graham and Hanno have about 12 hrs on the two chasers, it is still too early to say if that is material as a lot can happen. Main thing is that they are over their illness and both are very seasoned riders who know the route.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They mention excessive use of alcohol in the rules , I am sure nobody would be to upset if you replace your morning coffee with a OB ?? making coffee waste a lot of time :whistling:

Having a drink with your hosts and sharing what you have is encouraged......these people go out of their way to host you, it would be downright rude not to accept some of their generosity or to share yours :D . This may include a single malt, a bottle of wine with a farmer who hardly ever gets to drink and he has no idea what he is serving you, to the late Christo's bar at Chesneywold where anything is on offer.

Of course at the community lodges en route it is Zamaleksall the way and they are cheap, so dont overdo it.

Shot for the good info Ryan....

So what would be a good list of non neg items...read cool new stuff for this

Sealskinz socks I take it is one...good backpack?

Maybe a little gas burner to make coffee on route to lift ones spirit?

First and foremost - the maps and narratives. Read, study, learn - try ride some of the route - and then reread, restudy, relearn. This consumed Percyzn and I for months prior to the race. We were fortunate enough to head out and fine tune sections relatively easily.

Secondly a positive attitude. Sounds lame but this race klaps you both physically and mentally - you need to be able to drag yourself and your mate(s) back to a healthy place. Learn to laugh at getting lost - you'll laugh often :thumbup: .

Comfy pack - I got away with an 18L expandable setup. 20 - 25L seems the norm.

Take care of the extremeties - warm hands, warm feet. Sealskinz socks and thermal gloves (Sealskinz make these too). First Ascent thermal glove inners and thermal (bamboo/ mohair) socks are great items to have.

We solved the coffee issue with little flasks (see prev posts) - means you take a cuppa out and then you carry an empty flask for the rest of the day. Burner/ Mug combos are expensive (R1500 plus) and they're bulky.

Clever frame bags work well.

Ziplock bags - I used these to keep my kit seperated and organised. Also limits chances of everything getting wet if you take a tumble at a river crossing.

Make use of the 2L boxes - Clever use of these can impact your race. PM me in this regard. Not putting out my secrets re this.

They mention excessive use of alcohol in the rules , I am sure nobody would be to upset if you replace your morning coffee with a OB ?? making coffee waste a lot of time :whistling:

We made our brew before we started the day - into a flask and away we went. Nothing better than breakfast and coffee on the river bank looking back at the freezing cold water you've just skipped over.

First and foremost - the maps and narratives. Read, study, learn - try ride some of the route - and then reread, restudy, relearn. This consumed Percyzn and I for months prior to the race. We were fortunate enough to head out and fine tune sections relatively easily.

Secondly a positive attitude. Sounds lame but this race klaps you both physically and mentally - you need to be able to drag yourself and your mate(s) back to a healthy place. Learn to laugh at getting lost - you'll laugh often :thumbup: .

Comfy pack - I got away with an 18L expandable setup. 20 - 25L seems the norm.

Take care of the extremeties - warm hands, warm feet. Sealskinz socks and thermal gloves (Sealskinz make these too). First Ascent thermal glove inners and thermal (bamboo/ mohair) socks are great items to have.

We solved the coffee issue with little flasks (see prev posts) - means you take a cuppa out and then you carry an empty flask for the rest of the day. Burner/ Mug combos are expensive (R1500 plus) and they're bulky.

Clever frame bags work well.

Ziplock bags - I used these to keep my kit seperated and organised. Also limits chances of everything getting wet if you take a tumble at a river crossing.

Make use of the 2L boxes - Clever use of these can impact your race. PM me in this regard. Not putting out my secrets re this.

Now this is a bit rude !!! :w00t:

Now this is a bit rude !!! :w00t:

School fees boet. We all have to pay them. Scratch the surface of the FC and you'll find loads of helpful riders. Take the time to call them or take them for a coffee and whip out the maps and you'll be amazed at what they share.

Edited by Ryanpmb

This thread is turning into a "stick up your hands whose doing R2R in 2015" :D

While we waiting for updates might as well keep it alive !

you get maps...which are detailed and as up to date as can be found. And then there are written directions called the narrative with kilometer readings.

this is the section, where ironically enough the guy who just redid all the maps has just pulled out from. it is MUCH improved from previous years, i expect a lot less nav issues from this year on. I can't say this enough.

post-1830-0-86723800-1403251753_thumb.png

Its funny, Ryanpmb and I spent many many many hours reccie the route for R2R and we got it 99% perfect in the race, almost with no maps or narratives at all. The one place we went wrong, was exactly here, leaving Mariazelle, we knew the route via Malekonyane, and "assumed" the new route was dead simple. We were so excited to get off Maparane Ridge with no probs, it was getting dark and we estimated ongeluks nek by 17h30, from Glen Edward. We happily sped past the turn we should have taken, followed our noses into the dark and ended up crossing donga's and vleis for 2 hours, before finding Ongeluks. 2 hours of rest, wasted... It was the trail, gently reminding us, she is ALWAYS in control.... :)

Bp6VNqCCIAEMXlJ.jpg

Glenn been in at Rhodes for an hour,now Meryl says he just left "race on".

No mention of Tim at Rhodes yet.

Graham and Hanno past Chesneywold and on the Kapokkraal portages toward Slaapkrantz.

Marnitz out of Kranskop - washed and clean - thank heavens for that.

Drama:

"Tweet and Hanno get to Slaapkranz 14:36. Tweet pushes on, Hanno not well staying behind to rest"

Just when we were saying Glenn is feeling strong after being sick and its too early to say if Graham and Hanno's lead is material, Hanno drops off the pace.

Pretty significant that Graham left him, wow!

Marnitz getting photographically creative near Krantzkop near Molteno.

Nice blue skies - that means the temp will plummet from now through to sunrise tomorrow, remember Marnitz is sleeping out rough somewhere tonight, that's going to be very very cold.

post-1509-0-04909700-1403273373_thumb.jpg

Some great news off Clint's facebook -

"YES!!!!!!! THEY HAVE MADE IT TO RHODES!!!"

Massive massive respect to these two guys, Clint and Fanie. They have really struggled against injuries and exhaustion and nav issues but they have solidered on very bravely and courageously for days on end to get to Rhodes. Very well done guys. Enjoy the vibe tonight, and get a good night's rest ahead of the next stage.