MTB after heavy rain..

Raydek

Being new to MTB and entering my first winter rides, not quite sure about this so putting it out here for some guidance..

I read somewhere (think a US mtb forum) that one should wait 24 hours for every inch of rainfall before heading back to the trails as not to cause damage to them.

Is there any truth to this?

I assume to some degree there is as the trails turn to mud that will then have tracks left in them after the ride and when dried be ruts of sorts, but isn't that the nature of the sport.

Again, not entirely sure, so was just wondering as here in CPT it has been raining a lot for a few days and want to head for a ride later...

Go ride in the mud. Chances are you will do more damage to your bike than to the trail.

Biggest problem is when you get 300 riders all riding the same trail over a day. That's when the trail turns to $$$$. But most okes dash for the tv when it rains, so take that time to hit the quiet trails. The best time really. And riding in the mud will sharpen your skills.

All my opinion.

Just do It.......Consequence's to follow. Learning experience.As they say never know until you try.

Edited by MrFine

Do yourself and us trail managers a favour and stay off the trails during or after heavy rains. Usually 1or 2 days of sun is enough to dry things up. Riding in the mud has a heavy impact on the trail and high traffic volumes make it exponentially worse.

Do yourself and us trail managers a favour and stay off the trails during or after heavy rains. Usually 1or 2 days of sun is enough to dry things up. Riding in the mud has a heavy impact on the trail and high traffic volumes make it exponentially worse.

having seen the damage done at Modderfontein after those heavy rains, i can see why it would make sense to stay off them for a while.

A well timed post! I have just put up these trail etiquette guidelines on The Tokai website. One of the points is 'Ride dry trails'. Obviously it's not always possible but riding wet trails is one of the biggest destroyers of singletrack.

+1

But also some surfaces will stand up better than others.

More sandy (beach sandy) trail will hold up better than clay trail, as the water can percolate through better/quicker.

Thanks all, seems what I read was correct.. So basically give it some time to dry..

Suppose finding some good jeep track routes for soon after rains will be ok?

+1

But also some surfaces will stand up better than others.

More sandy (beach sandy) trail will hold up better than clay trail, as the water can percolate through better/quicker.

Hi guys, new to posting on the forums but been following them for a while. Just to clarify,

so does this mean it would be ok to ride a track like Faerie Garden but not Vasbyt or am I interpreting it incorrectly.

Edited by EDF

Hi guys, new to posting on the forums but been following them for a while. Just to clarify,

so does this mean it would be ok to ride a track like Faerie Garden but not Vasbyt or am I interpreting it incorrectly.

If it goes Squelch, it's probably not a good idea

• 1 month later...

Mud and bikes = expensive repairs so I don't do it. ( very expensive)

You can also see it on trails where guys have ridden in mud and left tyre tracks. They are a pain to ride over.

Interesting topic. Any views out there as to which Western Cape trails drain the best after heavy downpours?

Interesting topic. Any views out there as to which Western Cape trails drain the best after heavy downpours?

Just as I thought we would get an answer it went quiet. Was looking to ride today but would also like to try a better option which has drained and avoid Tokai.

Koeberg Nat.Res. should drain ,but stay away from section alongside R27.Would still give it some time to drain though.