Advice: Full Sus or Hardtail?

DemitriN

I am currently riding a 26" hardtail and its time for an upgrade. Any advice from experienced riders would be appreciated, mainly - should I get another hardtail or should I be considering a full suspension?

I bike 3-4x/week mainly Table Mt, Magic Forest, Tokai, etc, and enjoy single tracks most of all. I recently test rode a 29er but its not my thing... so I'm looking at another 26" or 650B.

My budget is R5,000 to R10,000 - so I'm considering a good 2nd hand bike, from 2009 up I guess. Some FS bikes that have caught my eye so far... Trek Fuel EX, Giant Anthem, and Merida One Twenty 1500D. I've also seen some good looking hardtails. One thing that does concern me with going FS is additional maintenance costs and riding uphills. Is this a valid concern? What would you suggest?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at it this way, if u stick to 26'er, u can buy a top end FS 26'er for R10K! They are selling for cheap! But in my eyes, 29'ers is the future......

Popcorn in the micro......

I'm with the Swart Kat on this,you can get a decent 26'er for that money.Just bought a second hand XT/SLX dual suspension 26'er.cheap as chips I tell you.^_^

It's really hard to actually tell someone what they should get, when it comes to wheel size. I use to ride 26" then went up to 29er and I really like the 29er. I have been thinking about trying out a 650B by self, but don't think I will do it in the near future.

As far as hardtail or duelsus go, is entirely up to your riding preference. The more gravity and bumpy your ride, then you might consider a dualsus. The first time I rode a dualsus it felt awkward felt like riding my hardtail with a flat tire at the back :P

Boet, I ride a 2009 Trek Top Fuel. Good bike, I really enjoy it. Paid R9k back in 2012. I would advise you to go FS, as I personally think that it a better ride all in all, especially if you enjoy singletrack. Looking at a bike from that era, just consider the wear and tear on the components, especially the suspension. Maybe have it checked out before you buy the bike, or at least know that you might have to fork out some cash in the future for a repair/upgrade.

As has been said before, a decent FS 26er (which is actually still a great bike to ride, despite not being the "future" and all) should be in the region of R10k.

I would say try and ride a mates FS first. I have always ridden hard tail and 4 years ago my hard tail was stollen and I then bought a FS probably the worst thing I could have done. Could never get used to the back wheel feeling "disconnected" from the bike. I much prefer a hard tail.

So just try and ride one for a few days, you will only know the answer then.

Duallie all the way bro. Upgraded from merida ht to my current love (26 Cannondale scalpel) and there is no way on this earth i will ever go back to ht again. I can lock both front and rear shock out on normal road and climbs but on the really steep rocky stuff the back shock (if active) actually helps with traction and avoids wheelspin.

Re the maintenance, i had to replace bushes a while back on rear shock (R90) so no big issue, my biggest costs are drive train replacement due to normal wear and tear.

i have a top fuel and i never really got on with it that well. sure its really REALLY fun downhill but i found it awful going up, geometry is too relaxed for me and even with the suspension firmed up i found it too bobby climbing. the new fox shock with ctd (climb/trail/descend) makes a big diff but you will be looking at one like i have with pro pedal which makes little or no difference really. (pro pedal makes the rear suspension a tiny bit firmer for climbing).

if going down is your priority and you aren't fussed aout the way up then its an excellent bike and really good fun.

i have a 29er fs and a 650b hardtail. they are chalk and cheese. i cant really compare them. if you can get 650b then do as you will get benefits of the big wheels without totally loosing the handling that you are used to. its so new though that your unlikely to get anything special second hand i wouldn't think. if i was you i would try to get a 29er for a long weekend and really try it. i didnt like it at first either but it takes time to get used to it as its a different riding style. SA is designed for big wheels!

i think you should do that before making a decision so it can be a fully informed one.

I have a 13 kg steel hard tail that i spend most of my time on.

Races and any rides longer than 40km i take the 11kg ds out.

Both put big smiles on my face but the ds is easier on the body.If i had to have one bike it'll be a ds.

How tall are you....There is a nice medium intense for sale at the 10 K Mark in the classifieds

Maybe a stupid question, but does it really matter how tall you are? Was just thinking, everyone rides the same 29 wheels on a road bike. Or is the difference needed for the type of riding, e.g. single track, twisty turns compared to pretty much a straight line on the road.

2007 - 2009 approx...Anthem or Trance..26" depending on specs.. you should find something in your budget and you won't go wrong with either. Trance is nicer on technical downhills

Maybe a stupid question, but does it really matter how tall you are? Was just thinking, everyone rides the same 29 wheels on a road bike. Or is the difference needed for the type of riding, e.g. single track, twisty turns compared to pretty much a straight line on the road.

Think he asked to see if the one in classified would suit the op.Don't think it had anything to do with wheel size.