D2D 2014

bmw1za

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

okay so i was too wasted to fetch my medal ... and I really want one . Is this possible at all ?

You can have my medal if you realy want one. just send me a pm.

I also hope the organizers are watching this and hopefully keep note....!!!!

One of the most expensive race days and as you guys mentioned a few times, the loo's were terrible.

The marshaling on route was almost non existent, so bad that even team Bonitas, Abantu and others were also complaining. So bad that at some point there was no indication of which road to take??? wtf

No marshal bikes (something one would expect for such an expensive event)

No paint markings or any indication for dangerous road surface

This event was badly put together.

Agreed yes. Very badly put together. Fencing for 20000 riders, bad toilets, NO marshals the last 10km. Finish was 2km from the start (bad for spectators with kids)! Tough route and I enjoyed the ride with not much traffic.

Started in CL. Got into a decent bunch at the end if the neutral zone. Very tough day. Feeling mangled today. Got to 90km in 3 hours. Took 39 minutes to do the last 12km after blowing spectacularly :-0

3 things I learnt from yesterday:

1. Not eating on the bike for 102km is a bad idea. One small bidon of water is not enough.

2. The only way to prepare for riding fast is riding fast. Over the last year, work and sickness has eaten up my meagre training programme.

3. The entry fee did not include a cold drink at the finish.

Started in CL. Got into a decent bunch at the end if the neutral zone. Very tough day. Feeling mangled today. Got to 90km in 3 hours. Took 39 minutes to do the last 12km after blowing spectacularly :-0

1. Not eating on the bike for 102km is a bad idea. One small bidon of water is not enough.

2. The only way to prepare for riding fast is riding fast. Over the last year, work and sickness has eaten up my meagre training programme.

I feel your pain...well done on the finish...

Man, that's not cool. Do you know what caused it? Food poisoning?

Kudos for finishing. If that was me, I would have waited for the sweeper vehicle..

Apparently I needed a lot more rest after the bronchitus , so technically I rode while still sick . Thank the Lord for that last water point ... I :blush: would have needed an Ambulance

My first ride bike after 3 back procedures this year! Started dl and got into a rad group with a good bunch of guys! Tried to push up the last 10km to win the group but cramped!! Was hard but im pleased with myself! 3 14! Not bad for a guy whos staple diet is scotch, red whine and black label! HA I really enjoyed the race! Thanks!!!! Next race I plan on training!

The best diet ever.

Must say....I got Powerade and a Coke at the finish. (Drinks was at the medals table 3km after the finishline. )

I don't understand why everyone is getting upset about the location of the finish.

1. it was downhill to the start where you had parked! I'm sure about you, but I didn't need to pedal on the downhill.

2. if your family came with you, did arrive when you started and waited while you rode (that is very nice of them) could they have not walked up the hill to watch you finish?

3. imagine if they had had a downhill finish! Sprint finish would have ended in carnage........

4. didnt the 94.7 also have a different start/finish, didn't find it a problem...........

(flame suit on)

I don't understand why everyone is getting upset about the location of the finish.

1. it was downhill to the start where you had parked! I'm sure about you, but I didn't need to pedal on the downhill.

Dude. Not about the distance. But about 80% did the extra 10km loop due to no marshals and then went over the line BUGGERED just to see there are no tables (and no one to show that the tables are down the line towards the start.)

2. if your family came with you, did arrive when you started and waited while you rode (that is very nice of them) could they have not walked up the hill to watch you finish?

You have not walked with a 6 year old yet have you? HAHAHHAHAHAHA.....you'll learn.....There is an old saying....happy wife, happy life.....having a nagging 6 year old nag at you for 100m is enough for mommy to say..."never again this race".....

4. didnt the 94.7 also have a different start/finish, didn't find it a problem...........

(flame suit on)

There were not 500 exits to your car before the drinks tables. So everyone pitched for a drink BEFORE they went home. Just saying...... There are SO MANY races these days on the calendar and road racing numbers are declining.......putting on a poor show like this will not help grow the sport. Learn or loose another road race.

Yesterdays race was my worst race by far. Started in CL but could not keep up with the group on the climb towards Hekpoort. After the turn I caught up with a someone and we got into a nice rhythm together, sharing the workload and pulling each other along nicely and picking up a few strays along the way. After about 20 mins the front group of DL caught up with us, so we merged together. the pace was great. I was aiming for a 3:20 and was well on the way of getting there. At the bottom of the hill just before the second water point i had a blow out. Very disappointed i quickly changed the tube so i can catch next group before they come past. As i put the CO2 into the tube it burst. Now stranded without any more tubes i inspected my tyre properly and found a cut in the side wall about 2 cm long. I then decided thats my race done, picked up my bike and walked up the hill to the water point where i was waiting for the Sweep Car. After about an hour of waiting and helping numerous riders with punctures and loose screws etc, a guy came walking up with a broken off rear deraileur. He offered me one of his tyres as he couldn't continue. I was very unmotivated at that point but thought I should just try finish. Popped the tyre on and was on my way, all alone from the 43km mark. It was about 10:05 and getting hot and the wind was pumping, with no one to hide behind or share the workload.

I am happy to say I finished, official time of 5:10. Very disappointed, but I feel I worked hard for that medal.

I really enjoyed the route. I didnt think it was too tough, and not loads of traffic. Wasnt too happy about the downhill start, i think allot of people will be buying brake pads this week.

Now to go buy new tyres!

Edited by Wikusk

Dude. Not about the distance. But about 80% did the extra 10km loop due to no marshals and then went over the line BUGGERED just to see there are no tables (and no one to show that the tables are down the line towards the start.) You have not walked with a 6 year old yet have you? HAHAHHAHAHAHA.....you'll learn.....There is an old saying....happy wife, happy life.....having a nagging 6 year old nag at you for 100m is enough for mommy to say..."never again this race".....

There were not 500 exits to your car before the drinks tables. So everyone pitched for a drink BEFORE they went home. Just saying...... There are SO MANY races these days on the calendar and road racing numbers are declining.......putting on a poor show like this will not help grow the sport. Learn or loose another road race.

whilst I appreciate the moaning about the start and finish, the fact of the matter is that with the goodie bag and number collection, you were also handed a sheet of paper that gave directions and gave parking and venue layout.

To quote what was written on the sheet with regard to What to do at the finish line - "Once you have crossed the finish line, slow down and cross the robot, move down the lane towards the school, go over the crossing at the school gate into the school grounds to receive your medal and to the final water point."

The information was there for all to read and understand.

I for one had an enjoyable race and will do it again next year

What bike were you on?

Also in AL, gees boys rode a great race! Proper lung buster trying to stay with them when the group split!

Well done

I was riding on the red & Black Giant Propel with red & black evad wheels wearing a northcliff cycles kit

Edited by RastaMan

I'm not one to rant about races, but here goes my quick summary of one of the most poorly organised race I've ever attended...

1. The venue and start area was far from ideal, as mentioned by several poster already.

2. No bike marshals! Not even in the licensed groups, and this on what can only be summed up as dangerous roads with cars and trucks chopping past on the narrow roads.

3. Then there were "missing marshals" at the turn with about 15km to go and several elites and vets literally got "lost" and had to dodge traffic through a random town.

4. Did I mention that R300 is a utter ripoff?!

5. Not that I particularly care, but for a fee that is close to that of the superb 94.7, the social cyclists I'm sure would have appreciated a goodies bag, even if it was filled with cr@p they will never use.

I feel like I have to add to list of moaners... toilets far from parking, parking itself was far from ideal if you didn't have a 4x4, no drinks at finish, so you can't wait for your mates to cross the line and unsafe riding conditions as there wasn't always an emergency lane and there didn't seem to be any marshalling vehicles.

I did enjoy the ride though, went 3:24, managed to work well with a few other heavies in the cross wind, had a nice chat to DragoRosso and will probably be ordering some new wheels soon as a result.

As an event however, I think this one was seriously lacking, specifically the logistics and organising. Not sure I'll do this one again - think there are better events on the calendar.