How many kg have you dropped since cycling?

I have found now my weight constant at 78 but losing cm on waist, lost 7cm so far in 8 weeks. And if gym machine is true muscle % up.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have recently lost 11kg over a few months and increased my cycling time significantly. I have never struggled with weight but after a serious injury and months on the couch I picked up an extra tyre or two around the waist and have just as quickly disposed of it.

I am now at a weight that I am happy with for cycling purposes, however my question now is how do I maintain that weight without loosing more? Do I increase my portions of food that I am eating or what?

So I have recently lost 11kg over a few months and increased my cycling time significantly. I have never struggled with weight but after a serious injury and months on the couch I picked up an extra tyre or two around the waist and have just as quickly disposed of it.

I am now at a weight that I am happy with for cycling purposes, however my question now is how do I maintain that weight without loosing more? Do I increase my portions of food that I am eating or what?

I'm no dietitian, but what I've found is that carbs regulate my weight. Protein is there to feed the muscle so is therefore very essential not to loose muscle mass. The less carbs I eat, the more weight I loose in fat %, but also need to regulate this as carbs is your energy source. Low carbs, high protein diet works for me... but that's me ;)

I was a Tread Buffalo....................I am no longer a Tread Buffalo :eek: ......94kgs to 87/88kgs in 11 months.

Came down from 79kg to 75.5kg now since getting the cycleops powerbeam. Even swop nice days outside for sessions on the trainer now. Look into it

I've battled a little bit to shed the kilos - even with loads of cycling I didn't lose any but in fact gained some pounds around the waist. Then, beginning of the year I decided that I've had enough of this blubbery (weighed 85kg - but had no idea what my fat % was). I love good food, wine and beer but decided to simply eat less and drink less. I applied no science behind my approach and hoped that common sense would assist. Instead of a couple of beers at a braai I'd have one beer and then whiskey, only ate a small plate of food with each meal, drank lots of water, cut out sugar/sweeteners etc, continued going to gym and now...I've lost 10kg since the end of January 2014. I now weigh - depending on the scale - 73-75kg and am aiming to get to 70kg. I've never felt better, more energetic and healthier than I have in years. My flab is almost gone!

I quit stuffing my face, whether it was at braais, on my own, while cycling, etc.

I've dropped from 108kg in August last year to currently 95kg with full kit. This weight loss is all just due to cycling. I really battle to control what I eat and when I eat but have noticed I can not eat as much at a time as I used to before. My size 38 pants/jeans all just fall off and even some of the new size 36's are also getting loose. I can still lose at least 10kg's without looking thin(like a roadie). :whistling: :ph34r: I sometimes ride with okes that are under 70kg's and it shows on the hills where I'm left behind. This one reason I want to lose more weight. To climb better. My keyboard/PC is acting weird and can not make paragraphs. :cursing:

Ive lost 9kg in the past 12 weeks

Im hovering around the 79 - 80kg mark now

I still battle to keep on the straight and narrow by not eating too much sweets, easier said than done. Ill flatten a slab of chocolate if put in front of me.

A tub of those jelly sweets from woolies, Ill flatten in 2 nights.

I have a problem :blush:

Beginning of the year I weight 98kgs. Got to about 95kgs by end of April. I went and saw a Dietician/sports Nutritionist beginning of May. Since then I have lost 5kgs and 17cms around the waist. Riding has become easier and more fun. My goal is 85kgs by end mid September:)

Went from 85kg to 75kg in the first 8 months of cycling, stayed at about 75 - 77 for about 4 years, then concentrated on diet and upped the mileage and dropped to 68 kg in about 10 months. My wife and I had our first baby this year and I shot up to 85kg (since the Argus last year when I was 68 kg).

Started a proper training regimen at the beginning of July and am down to 82 kg already.

It's a different 82kg now though - I can get on a bike and average around 25 kph on my own around the Cradle for 3 hours, whereas the 82kg me of a few years ago would have struggled to average 18 kph for those three hours on that terrain.

• 6 months later...

I thought it would be an apt time to dig this thread up.

Well, after a pretty hefty festive season with way too much yummy stuff to eat and not enough time in the saddle things have not been too good on the scale - in fact it has been going in the wrong direction, so, the beginning of this week was time to turn over the proverbial new leaf and sort myself out. So far so good, and if everything goes according to plan I am hoping that those of you who do see me will be seeing much less of me in the months to come! I have got about 30 excess kg's to get rid of so it will take some doing but I think I am now tired of carrying an extra bag of cement around with me!

How has the holiday season affected the rest of you?

Festive season was not too good to me (but I did get to do a lot of cycling). 

Lessons learned:

1. Stay away from alcohol, especially if you do not really drink during the rest of the year.

2. Don't eat like a teenager, even when having Mom's cooking.

Best way to shrug off the excess weight is to cut sugars, ad go for a week without any serious carbs (like bread) and swap it out for greens.

None. I actually gain weight when I ride alot.

But then when you starting off at 60kg and you over 6 foot you can't really loose weight. [emoji28]

Archived