Tokai again - the Bridal Switchbacks (such as they are...)

Headshot

You clearly haven't seen me with a machete. It's diabolical.

Add "Axeman" and we're done - he's not been on a build day for a while.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It really needs the work and more people riding it - very deserted on that side of Tokai. Most of the switch backs are reasonable and okay to ride as they are - with some clay patching they will be great. I would start at the bottom and work up to clear the saplings that have spread up from the old gum plantation. Depending on the number of people who pitch it you could get quite a lot done in a day...

You clearly haven't seen me with a machete. It's diabolical.

That is a worrying thought, especially if angry.

Jerome "Your Mother" Iwanski. Yeah. He's a bit scarce at the moment.

It's a shame that as, for once, I was able to point and say "See there is a guy that swears more than me" and trying to come up with creative alternatives to explain to my youngster what had just been said was a good mental exercise. Ben once watched him ride the downhill, swearing at every jump, and thought it was hysterical.

And to be fair the man did have an ability to remove/break everything considered unbreakable or just too damn difficult to the rest of us on a build day.

I tried riding this for the first time ever from the bottom up last week. Basically, going upwards is nigh on impossible. I got just past the third switchback corner from the bottom and gave up. The huge amount of standing water and and lack of run-offs didn't make it any easier.

I'd definitely like to join again for the build day. Clear those saplings, brush some of the dead wood and debris off the top layer of the trail, form some cross trail run-offs etc.

But I am still keen to try cycle from the top down this week, after watching this video.

I tried riding this for the first time ever from the bottom up last week. Basically, going upwards is nigh on impossible. I got just past the third switchback corner from the bottom and gave up. The huge amount of standing water and and lack of run-offs didn't make it any easier.

I'd definitely like to join again for the build day. Clear those saplings, brush some of the dead wood and debris off the top layer of the trail, form some cross trail run-offs etc.

But I am still keen to try cycle from the top down this week, after watching this video.

Tell me you DID NOT try ride the bridle path from the bottom up !!!

I think we need to have a talk!

Edited by porqui

Haha, had no idea about the state of the route. Besides, how fast can you really be going down those switchbacks? :huh:

But honestly, I would not attempt going uphill if there was any reasonable chance of collision.

Correct, it will basically be preventative maintenance just to keep it from further deterioration.

how y'all gonna do that?

I'm no geologist or soil mechanic, but what can y'all do that nature couldn't prevent with those rains? i know its an ideal time now to stick spade into dirt, but on that particular section of tokai, because of previous land slips, would it not be wiser to wait till after the rainy season in case it slips again, and along with it all y'all efforts now?

Hilton --- No chance of collision and no chance of riding up it either.

(watch someone tell me you can ride up it - alouett did not ask you)

screw Tokai and its Management thereof. There are better places to ride @ only 30bux

Lol, we agree, but we like it here. Now go do some free riding down a mine dump...

screw Tokai and its Management thereof. There are better places to ride @ only 30bux

Cool constructive input. Well done.

Now i know it's Friday damn I thought it was Monday today!

Capricorn it's a good time to work there and as has been said some are already riding it!

There are no visible signs of any imminent or future slippage - last year we had record rainfall in June and August with saturated soil hence the slides.

But do come join us.

Edited by porqui

Just watched the vid posted by Headshot. Those rocky switchbacks at the top kind of reminds me of the switchbacks at Delvera farm, Which totally go the better of me. Made me feel like a complete novice.

These would be good to practise on! :drool:

actually, i can see mini streams popping out of the sidewalls where jeep track's been cut out of the mountain. last time i saw that was last year, and the slippages occured then as well. if we have more of the same rain over the next few weeks and months, it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine there'd be more slips. If there is that risk, why should ppl riding it encourage maintenance now as opposed to stopping the riding until we actually out of rainy season?

Edited by Capricorn