Hiker murdered above Kalk Bay this morning

kandui

My perspective on this:

Just to let you know that a 72 year old hiker was murdered on a trail above Kalk Bay this morning. A very sad incident. The suspect is still at large, but the motive was robbery. Why murder someone for what this poor man might have carried with him on his hike? A cellphone, day pack, snacks, a warm jacket and a water bottle!

The incident occurred on San Parks land, but because of it being a murder, SAPS will most likely have jurisdiction.

Still, this happened in broad daylight inside Table Mountain National Park.

The hiking groups have been galvanised into action and Table Mountain Bikers will be involved as well.

We will gladly offer some of our camera's to monitor potential danger areas, but with rangers so thin on the ground and the park being pretty much open everywhere, where do we start? As cyclists , we can only assist where we are allowed to ride. Cycle patrols are ideal to cover large areas in a short time. TMB has offered to this before, but it was rejected.

We can of course band together as civilians, individual or in an organised group, and assist the authorities, but this is unsustainable in the long run. Crime patterns are unpredictable,so nobody can expect San Parks from preventing this from happening again.

What we think is a sustainable solution is to populate the mountain and allow wider access to certain user groups.More eyes and ears on the ground is how we can help and reduce the space for criminals to operate in.

We refuse to be held to ransom on our mountain! This should be a safe environment to enjoy while running, hiking, cycling, climbing, gliding or playing with our children.

We never expected that someone would lose their life due to a crime while enjoying the splendour of Table Mountain. We express our condolences to the victim's spouse and family and wish them strength in this terrible time.

It's time for action! Talk shops are just a lot of blah, blah and hot air! We know what happened. We know the park will never be fenced in. We know San Parks are under resourced. We know that civilians are prepared to help.

San Parks, take up our offer to assist you and let us help where we can. Don't see us as a threat and accept that we have a lot to offer. We are prepared to give, but we don't want you to just take. This is a sad day, but it offers an opportunity to go forward together. We are the good guys and respect your authority as the land manager. But, you can't do it alone.

We are the people on who's behalf you manage this precious resource. We have a say in this and now we say,"Let's keep the mountain safe together".

I don't want to be the next person murdered on Table Mountain!!

Edited by kandui

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So sad.....trying to enjoy life and then some _-_-_-_- decide to change everything. Condolences to the family.

Time to implement the "ogie-straf"......difficult for a blind criminal to further commit such brutal acts (blood boiling now, such an unnecessary event)

Very sad indeed. We need to take our community back - we must stop talking and do something (within the law). RIP

More details from Mountain Men Security:

At 11H24 today, we received a report that two hikers had been attacked on Trappieskop, above Boyes Drive in Kalk Bay.

Upon arrival on the scene, SAPS was already present. A man and woman who had been hiking on Trappieskop and been attacked by a black male wearing a long sleeved blue top. The male hiker was stabbed repeatedly and collapsed and died on the scene. The female hiker was dragged afew meters and robbed of jewellery, cell phone and a wallet. She managed to get away from her attacker and raised the alarm some time later.

My perspective on this:

Just to let you know that a 72 year old hiker was murdered on a trail above Kalk Bay this morning. A very sad incident. The suspect is still at large, but the motive was robbery. Why murder someone for what this poor man might have carried with him on his hike? A cellphone, day pack, snacks, a warm jacket and a water bottle!

The incident occurred on San Parks land, but because of it being a murder, SAPS will most likely have jurisdiction.

Still, this happened in broad daylight inside Table Mountain National Park.

The hiking groups have been galvanised into action and Table Mountain Bikers will be involved as well.

We will gladly offer some of our camera's to monitor potential danger areas, but with rangers so thin on the ground and the park being pretty much open everywhere, where do we start? As cyclists , we can only assist where we are allowed to ride. Cycle patrols are ideal to cover large areas in a short time. TMB has offered to this before, but it was rejected.

We can of course band together as civilians, individual or in an organised group, and assist the authorities, but this is unsustainable in the long run. Crime patterns are unpredictable,so nobody can expect San Parks from preventing this from happening again.

What we think is a sustainable solution is to populate the mountain and allow wider access to certain user groups.More eyes and ears on the ground is how we can help and reduce the space for criminals to operate in.

We refuse to be held to ransom on our mountain! This should be a safe environment to enjoy while running, hiking, cycling, climbing, gliding or playing with our children.

We never expected that someone would lose their life due to a crime while enjoying the splendour of Table Mountain. We express our condolences to the victim's spouse and family and wish them strength in this terrible time.

It's time for action! Talk shops are just a lot of blah, blah and hot air! We know what happened. We know the park will never be fenced in. We know San Parks are under resourced. We know that civilians are prepared to help.

San Parks, take up our offer to assist you and let us help where we can. Don't see us as a threat and accept that we have a lot to offer. We are prepared to give, but we don't want you to just take. This is a sad day, but it offers an opportunity to go forward together. We are the good guys and respect your authority as the land manager. But, you can't do it alone.

We are the people on who's behalf you manage this precious resource. We have a say in this and now we say,"Let's keep the mountain safe together".

I don't want to be the next person murdered on Table Mountain!!

this is a very sad incident.

But lets not use this for grandstanding that mtb should be allowed more access to act as security patrols.

as a community we have neither the training, nor legal mandate to carry out such a function and with the value of bicycles being what they are, we merely represent a more lucrative target.

this is a very sad incident.

But lets not use this for grandstanding that mtb should be allowed more access to act as security patrols.

as a community we have neither the training, nor legal mandate to carry out such a function and with the value of bicycles being what they are, we merely represent a more lucrative target.

Condolences to the deceased and I agree with you on grandstanding - not that I think that was the intention at all.

But I dont agree that mtb cant play a role in mountain safety, bicycles are multiples times faster and cover much more distance than hikers/ runners and most cyclists carry communication with them - response times and coordination could be much better .

We need more responsible behaviour by some riders - that's just education (like getting people wear helmets was), but I have yet to come across a group of hikers or runners who are not glad to see a responsible group of mtb riders - they all have a common purpose.

For that matter, if Sanparks had some fit rangers, mtb will be the ideal way for them to cover large parts of the mountain.

Off for my morning run around Sandy Bay.....