• Ridley Scott
    • M. Night Shyamalan
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

The Dark Tower (2017). 6/10

I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. I think most of the negativity comes from disappointment over what it could have been rather than what it is. Lots of missed opportunities, imo, and maybe I would have been more upset if I had spent the time and money to go and see it at a theater. But watching it at home on a rainy Sunday afternoon is as good a way to while away an hour and a half as any other. And really, I've seen worse.

For reference: Yes, I did read the books. I think they're fantastic. But I tried to watch the movie as its own thing, based on the books but not attempting to be an exact replication of them.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to see Blade Runner 2049 last Friday, at the IMAX in Gateway (was up there visiting the fam) and the Vitality IMAX price was less than the Vitality Premier price for the same night. 

So, I thought wtf. Let's do it. 

First off, I have very fond memories of the original. Released in my year of birth, it along with 2001 & a host of other classic Sci Fi movies were my introduction to the whole Space Opera / High Sci-Fi genre. A genre that many have played at, but not many have managed to achieve the same notoriety as those originals. Recent attempts like Interstellar, Arrival, TRON etc have been close (with Interstellar being my best to date) but small flaws in the closing scenes and some other foibles left me feeling somewhat underwhelmed. I left feeling that the soundtrack was the best bit about the movie (and oh, what soundtracks they were!)

From the very opening scenes of 2049, I was transported to a completely different time and place. Character development was on point, cinematography was simply superb and everything just felt *right*. The soundtrack was utterly, utterly superb. How much of that was attributable to the system in-cinema I do not know, but honestly I can now say that I know why Atmos is simply the best for cinematic audio. If I'd seen Interstellar in this setting, it probably would have blown my socks off even more than it did. 

The setting of a Cold War-esque dystopian future was done SO well, and the little additions of the cabaret style entertainment area (with intermittent sound and flickering holos) lent those scenes so much more emotion in their throwback to "what once was". There was just enough background information (given as seemingly throwaway comments which later proved to be very important to the plot) to keep you guessing and give you more insight into the characters' past. 

This is my new favourite movie. 

Utterly, utterly brilliant. 10/10 would watch again. In IMAX. Again.

A side note. IMAX has ruined normal cinema for me. 

I'm really looking forward to Blade Runner 2049. Can't believe I only watched the original for the first time this year  :blush:

I'm really looking forward to Blade Runner 2049. Can't believe I only watched the original for the first time this year  :blush:

Do yourself a favour, and watch it in IMAX. I cannot impress how much of an experience that was. WELL worth it, IMO. 

Did I mention how it's now ruined normal cinema? :(

I, Robot (2004). 8/10

Haven't seen the movie in a while. Was fairly ambivalent the first time I saw it. Last night I watched it and really enjoyed it. Was it my own prejudices about some of the changes that caused mixed feelings when it came out? I don't know. Maybe I'm just growing up (though I doubt that).

Now I think it's a great movie. Would Isaac Asimov have liked it? I don't know. But I like to think so.

I, Robot (2004). 8/10

Haven't seen the movie in a while. Was fairly ambivalent the first time I saw it. Last night I watched it and really enjoyed it. Was it my own prejudices about some of the changes that caused mixed feelings when it came out? I don't know. Maybe I'm just growing up (though I doubt that).

Now I think it's a great movie. Would Isaac Asimov have liked it? I don't know. But I like to think so.

I think you missed your calling as a movie critic.

Do yourself a favour, and watch it in IMAX. I cannot impress how much of an experience that was. WELL worth it, IMO. 

I didn't know Blade Runner was out already. Sorry to be an ignoramus Myles, but where is there an IMAX?

Oh and I haven't seen the original :blush:

I didn't know Blade Runner was out already. Sorry to be an ignoramus Myles, but where is there an IMAX?

Yep, also didn't expect it to be out yet! Going to watch it tonight

Cape Gate has an Imax, not sure about other places in CT.

Interstellar not on my list of fav movies, but the awesome Imax sound is something I still recall so looking forward to this one!

Watch the original!!!

And Cape Gate has an IMAX cinema. Only came out last friday. 

Yep, also didn't expect it to be out yet! Going to watch it tonight

Cape Gate has an Imax, not sure about other places in CT.

Interstellar not on my list of fav movies, but the awesome Imax sound is something I still recall so looking forward to this one!

The ending of interstellar was kinda off, IMO. Not in keeping with the rest of it, but the experience as a whole together with the rest of the movie managed to overcome that, IMO. 

I saw it in the Cavendish Sq cinema. UTTER SHAITE ito the sound quality. That soundtrack deserved SO much better. In fact, it was better on my home system. And I've got a simple stereo setup. It was distorted as **** when watching at SK. 

Went to see Blade Runner 2049 last Friday, at the IMAX in Gateway (was up there visiting the fam) and the Vitality IMAX price was less than the Vitality Premier price for the same night. 

Utterly, utterly brilliant. 10/10 would watch again. In IMAX. Again.

A side note. IMAX has ruined normal cinema for me. 

Couldn't summarise it better - this movie comes into its own on IMAX - what an experience!

Science fiction at its best.

Advice taken

????????????????

I'll hit the Eye Max next week

Edited by 'Dale

The ending of interstellar was kinda off, IMO. Not in keeping with the rest of it, but the experience as a whole together with the rest of the movie managed to overcome that, IMO. 

I saw it in the Cavendish Sq cinema. UTTER SHAITE ito the sound quality. That soundtrack deserved SO much better. In fact, it was better on my home system. And I've got a simple stereo setup. It was distorted as **** when watching at SK. 

I have a fairly decent AV setup with Onkyo AV amp and 5 decent speakers, and there are parts of Interstellar that gave me goosebumps.

To understand the ending of Interstellar, you have to understand the work of Kip Thorne, and the physics of BRANEs.

Edited by Moridin