• Martin Scorsese
    • Ridley Scott
    • M. Night Shyamalan
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

I remember the Kine Centre! ( and Masquerade but that's another thread)

while we reminiscing...who remembers velvet curtains that opened and ntermissions where clowns came out and handed sweets to kids

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

while we reminiscing...who remembers velvet curtains that opened and ntermissions where clowns came out and handed sweets to kids

The only movie I remember seeing with an intermission was Schindler's List, don't recall the clowns with sweets though...

The only movie I remember seeing with an intermission was Schindler's List, don't recall the clowns with sweets though...

unlucky for you...you must be too young.....we were regularly given sweets from strange men

I do I do. . The last movie we went to watch that had an intermission was Gorrilas in the Mist..

wh

wrong thread old man

what did you think of wolf of wall street? I thought it was ***..only reason why its got a high rating is because of scorcese and his hard on for dicaprio....a movie that certainly does not deserve to be anywhere near the top 250 list

Not so much of the old man comments there skippy....;)

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/15443996.jpg

Not sure about Wolf of Wall Street though.... I thought it went on for too long (nearly three hours....) We threw in the towel after 2 hours and finished the next evening (Purely because this old man was taught to finish what he started)

Not sure I'd put it in the top 250 though. If I was forced it would be in the bottom section.

I'm not a DiCaprio fan tbh. I do think he has talent. He portrayed the raw emotion well enough. He won't be the reason I queue to buy a ticket though.

Not so much of the old man comments there skippy.... ;)

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/15443996.jpg

Not sure about Wolf of Wall Street though.... I thought it went on for too long (nearly three hours....) We threw in the towel after 2 hours and finished the next evening (Purely because this old man was taught to finish what he started)

Not sure I'd put it in the top 250 though. If I was forced it would be in the bottom section.

I'm not a DiCaprio fan tbh. I do think he has talent. He portrayed the raw emotion well enough. He won't be the reason I queue to buy a ticket though.

no doubt he has talent..i actually dont mind him that much

Avatar and Titanic also had an intermission - according to friends that went to watch.

I never saw either of these on the big screen.

Avatar and Titanic also had an intermission - according to friends that went to watch.

I never saw either of these on the big screen.

I meant when ALL movies had an intermission. I think it was related to needing to change the reel. Quick google reveals that the max length you can push a reel is 20-22mins. So they had 2 projectors cue'd up and after 40 odd minutes had to have an intermission to re cue the two projectors...anyone in the know that can tell me if I'm talking crud?

from wikipedia

Intermissions in early films had a practical purpose: they were needed to facilitate the changing of reels.[9] When Les Amours de la reine Élisabeth (Queen Elizabeth), starring Sarah Bernhardt, opened on July 12, 1912, in the Lyceum Theatre in New York City, the four reel film was shown in four acts, with an intermission between each reel change.[10]

The technology improved, but as movies became progressively longer, the intermission fulfilled other needs. It gave the audience a breather, and provided the theatre management an opportunity to entice patrons to its profitable concession stand. A 1957 animated musical snipe suggested, before the main feature in theatres and during intermission at drive-ins, "let's all go to the lobby to get ourselves a treat". And during the 3D film golden era of the early 1950s, intermissions were a necessity because even though many theaters used two projectors that could skip intermission by shifting from one reel to the other, 3D films required the use of both projectors - one for each stereoscopic image - and so needed an intermission to change the reels on both projectors.

The built-in intermission has been phased out of Hollywood films, the victim of the demand to pack in more screenings, advances in projector technology which make reel switches either unnoticeable or non-existent (such as digital projection, where reels also no longer exist) and also because in multiplexes, the break gave patrons a better opportunity to sneak away to watch other pictures

I was in Std 9 - we had a class party the Kine Entertainment Centre (in town), then went to Masquerade/The Doors afterwards for the real party. Can't remember much of the movie, until I got a copy (on Betamax) and then it got played to death.

BTW - who remembers that place (Kine Entertainment Centre)?

I remember watching The Empire Strikes Back there.

I meant when ALL movies had an intermission. I think it was related to needing to change the reel. Quick google reveals that the max length you can push a reel is 20-22mins. So they had 2 projectors cue'd up and after 40 odd minutes had to have an intermission to re cue the two projectors...anyone in the know that can tell me if I'm talking crud?

You're right - I forgot about the reel change.

Two of my "seen them more than once" movies are

1.Amelie

and

2 The Angel,The Bicycle and the Chinaman's Finger.

• 3 weeks later...

Last night's movie - Escape Plan (channel 103 - load shedding prevented me from seeing the start on channel 101) was one of the better movies I've seen on a Sunday night, in a long time. Wouldn't buy the DVD/BD but I did enjoy watching it.