Sani2c 2015

Gringo

We only got an entry 6 weeks prior and had to make do with the Race.  Didn't do any seeding races (Enduro's don't count...I think they actually should) so started day 1 in N batch.

Strategy was to hurt ourselves day 1 to get into the more skilled batches and despite the 15 minute wait at the PG Bison bridge we made a 4:30 flat and moved up to J batch.  Must say, with the dual track we only got held up at Googs a bit behind slower riders.  Other than that we usually hit the descents first and could let rip.  It was pretty awesome riding. 

One gripe from day 1 was the unannounced earlier start.  Saw quite a few teams literally run to the start and just jump on and go with the gun, sans water bottles and nutrition.  Start was supposed to be 10am and we kicked off at 9:30.

Day 2 everyone that had ridden before told us to just ride till your eyes bleed to get to the Umko ahead of your batch.  So that's what we did.  All the dual track leading to the Umko was epic.  Could just let go and figured we're in for some flying.  Then we hit the Umko and I'd be suprised if we managed an average speed of 10km/h all the way down.

We had managed to catch up the back markers from I and well, they were plain aweful.  I don't care being called an a-hole, but what I saw there was laughable.  You pay R6 000 for the entry, R50k for your bike and you can't be arsed to go and attend a R300 skills course so that you can ride a switchback and not have an episode every time you see a rock.  I told my partner right there that the sani2c will never see me again as I saw the bad side of corporate events right there.

But then we got out and at WP 1 I had a little chat to myself about growing up and we set off again, figuring it's over and done so just get on with it.  To my surprise the rest of day 2 was filled with rad trails and descents so we ended up having a blast regardless.  For some reason we had escaped the Umko warriors and had most of the descents to ourselves thereafter.

Managed a 5:52 on day 2 so moved up to H batch for day 3.

On day 3 it was crazy how big the difference in skill was just from I and J.  People were flying on the singletrack, climbing was fluid and the pace was pretty frantic.

We were wanred that a wait at the flowing bridge in Scotburgh could bugger our time so we again tried our best to keep it flatbox, but with about 20km to go I was hanging on to my partner's wheel for dear life.  Don't remember much after that until we reached the lagoon.

To our relief there was no queue and we got on immediately.  Rookie mistake.  As the trail went from three tiles to two the rider in front of me started to lose his cool and the resonance just had me for lunch.  I decided to make the most of it and went for style points.

Thankfully a little voice in my head told me to put my phone in my crate that morning so only my ego took a knock.

Managed a 3:50 for day 3, 14:14 for our first Sani2C.  Bit of a mixed bag since we had no expectations going in.  Some lows but mostly a great experience that I will never regret doing.

Nico, I agree with you on the shocking lack of skill in the mid pack (H) of the race. Going down the Umko was a real frustration, guys braking for every rock and turn and uncleating before the switchbacks. I got a mouthful from a guy on the second switchback of Nick's pass, when I passed him on the inside, but I wasn't looking forward to staying behind him the whole way down while he literally came to a skidding halt before each switchback.

There are to many highlights to name them all, and I totally agree with every one that has been mentioned thus far. I would like to add one, and that is those tender, perfectly cooked Karan steaks at Jolivet. As a meat lover, and a cattle farmer myself, I must give praise to the farmers and helpers at Jolivet. Those steaks were of top restaurant quality!

For me, one of the negatives that hasn't been mentioned yet is the children begging for sweets along certain parts of the route, and riders tossing them there freebies. I almost had a nasty incident on day 3 when a guy in front of me cleared his pockets and the small children ran onto the trail like a pack of hounds to pick up the stuff. I think the organizers  should forbid riders to hand out sweets and stuff to the locals. This is just encouraging the young children to lead a beggar's life. They can put up some containers at the end of the watering tables and red bull runs, and at the finish of each day, where riders can drop their unwanted sweets. This can then be redistributed to the locals in an orderly manner.

After all has been said and done I just feel blessed to be able to take part in such an unbelievable event like Sani.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This baffled the hell out of me - the showers all had doors and hooks inside - there was NO reason to be strutting around in the buff and yet the sausage brigade were hanging it out loud and proud. WTF?

yip - thats what some guys like to do...you see it in locker rooms across the world

another Highlight for me was the burgers at Mozam Prawn shack next to the Beach bar!! Went for dinner before the after party and all i can say is WOW!! The Mozam Beef Burger, avo, bacon, feta and cheese has to be one of the best burgers i have ever had!! and that was before we sampled all the red wine on their menu! One to remember for next year!

This baffled the hell out of me - the showers all had doors and hooks inside - there was NO reason to be strutting around in the buff and yet the sausage brigade were hanging it out loud and proud. WTF?

I had this conversation with you before I think or it was YSTER, in 2013 in those open showers there was a TOOL WALKING around after showering butt naked hanging, clearly this oKE was convinced HE WAS DA MAN he brushed his teeth, strutted around chatted as loud as possible cleaned his feet with a cloth, brushed his hair, extensively applied cream, basically made an issue to strut around in and around the showers as long as possible before being so kind to put some clothes on, now you asking DIPS why were you watching, as I walked in this creature was talking in American loud volume, I showered and left and he was about to put his clothes on,

Guest Travis.

I had this conversation with you before I think or it was YSTER, in 2013 in those open showers there was a TOOL WALKING around after showering butt naked hanging, clearly this oKE was convinced HE WAS DA MAN he brushed his teeth, strutted around chatted as loud as possible cleaned his feet with a cloth, brushed his hair, extensively applied cream, basically made an issue to strut around in and around the showers as long as possible before being so kind to put some clothes on, now you asking DIPS why were you watching, as I walked in this creature was talking in American loud volume, I showered and left and he was about to put his clothes on,

Sorry about that...

Guest Travis.

Nothing wrong to be comfortable in the birthday suit.

Keep your eyes at eye level and it shouldn't be a problem...

Lekker man, lekker.........but what happened to the end? Looks as if there was a sporadic unclipping of some sorts? Embrio mountain on the track?

looks like a rock jumped out in front of him...well...... it was jutting out and he jumped into it

I think the organizers  should forbid riders to hand out sweets and stuff to the locals. 

Have to agree on this one, perhaps something to be written into all MTB race rules.

I too witnessed a mad scramble of kids from both sides nearly knocking the guy off the bike in front of me as he reached into his back pocket. Quite dangerous for the kids & riders, the kids not even realizing they blocking the path of the riders.

It shouldn't be encouraged.

Guest Travis.

Have to agree on this one, perhaps something to be written into all MTB race rules.

I too witnessed a mad scramble of kids from both sides nearly knocking the guy off the bike in front of me as he reached into his back pocket. Quite dangerous for the kids & riders, the kids not even realizing they blocking the path of the riders.

It shouldn't be encouraged.

Chocolate...chocolate...

There are to many highlights to name them all, and I totally agree with every one that has been mentioned thus far. I would like to add one, and that is those tender, perfectly cooked Karan steaks at Jolivet. As a meat lover, and a cattle farmer myself, I must give praise to the farmers and helpers at Jolivet. Those steaks were of top restaurant quality!

Sniffie...you got lucky (or maybe they saw the 'insider' coming)  :clap:

4 Sani's in a row now and every year my Steak is way overdone and tough as hell.  Our group resort to taking our own steak knives along for the tussle :blush:

Good Beef - yes certainly.   Flavour great - but boy are they destroyed. 

Passed 3 tiny tots walking along the stony track on day 3 of the adventure, oldest one couldn't have been older than 4! Luckily had time to shout out and warn guys behind. Hitting a little kid like that at speed would be nasty. Who would be held responsible??

Sniffie...you got lucky (or maybe they saw the 'insider' coming)  :clap:

4 Sani's in a row now and every year my Steak is way overdone and tough as hell.  Our group resort to taking our own steak knives along for the tussle :blush:

Good Beef - yes certainly.   Flavour great - but boy are they destroyed. 

Yip. Probably great as they come off the grill, but 30mins in a dish on a hot tray destroys the steak. Not the end of the world tho.

Souds like Virgin Active .I shower at home now

Edited by Blitzer

Second Sani for us, last year we did the Trail and this year the Race.

New start venue was cool and registration was quick and easy.

Some of the Single Track was badly rutted on Day1 but majority of the trail was great.

Food was great as always and water points had everything we wanted/needed.

Will definitely be back!

View at the start of Day 2

post-36275-0-45465100-1432025554_thumb.jpg

Sniffie...you got lucky (or maybe they saw the 'insider' coming) :clap:

4 Sani's in a row now and every year my Steak is way overdone and tough as hell. Our group resort to taking our own steak knives along for the tussle :blush:

Good Beef - yes certainly. Flavour great - but boy are they destroyed.

Got to agree....my little plastic knife could never handle it